God Save The Queen

Lex

33 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Might they not just jump a generation by mutual and prior agreement? Charles wouldn't have to abdicate.

I'd love it if that happened, but I can't see it.  Charles will want his place on the throne.

4 minutes ago, Scott Steiner said:

I'd love it if that happened, but I can't see it.  Charles will want his place on the throne.

Maybe he doesn't want what happened to him to happen to his son. If Charles lives as long as his parents, William will be in his sixties before he has a proper job.

4 minutes ago, velo army said:

Nothing personal against the auld reptile but the BBC and ITV news (and wall to wall breakfast pish) were building up to her speech days in advance as if it was the next Bond movie. 

"Her most personal yet". 🤮

They'd still be talking about that speech now, if Desmond Tutu hadn't popped his clogs during the night.

I personally have nothing against HM as she seems like a sweet old lady who has plenty of interesting stories to tell, just like my Gran was when she was alive and many other senior citizens in this country.
However I do object to all those who elevate her as some sort of superhero to be worshipped.
I am dreading her passing if the media frenzy when the DOE went is anything to go by. I would probably avoid social media for a month afterwards.
It would be nice to think the Monarchy will end with her and I am sure Charlie may do his best to ensure that happens. What would be interesting is if there was some disaster struck them and Harry somehow became next in line. It may be worth Megan and him taking the throne just to see the reaction from Daily Mail readers.

1 hour ago, Dunfermline Don said:

I personally have nothing against HM as she seems like a sweet old lady who has plenty of interesting stories to tell, just like my Gran was when she was alive and many other senior citizens in this country.
However I do object to all those who elevate her as some sort of superhero to be worshipped.
I am dreading her passing if the media frenzy when the DOE went is anything to go by. I would probably avoid social media for a month afterwards.
It would be nice to think the Monarchy will end with her and I am sure Charlie may do his best to ensure that happens. What would be interesting is if there was some disaster struck them and Harry somehow became next in line. It may be worth Megan and him taking the throne just to see the reaction from Daily Mail readers.

I think you are missing the point. She may not actually be a deity but to those who go in for that kind of thing, the existence of a hereditary monarchy means that she and her heirs and successors are destined to hold their positions, apparently by the grace of a god.  Only someone who actually believes that sort of stuff could elevate a particular person above all others and accept that his or her offspring automatically take their place.  

After all, part of the Coronation Oath she took obliges her to protect the interests of the Church (of England, of course).... 

"Will you to the utmost of your power maintain the Laws of God and the true profession of the Gospel? Will you to the utmost of your power maintain in the United Kingdom the Protestant Reformed Religion established by law? Will you maintain and preserve inviolably the settlement of the Church of England, and the doctrine, worship, discipline, and government thereof, as by law established in England? And will you preserve unto the Bishops and Clergy of England, and to the Churches there committed to their charge, all such rights and privileges, as by law do or shall appertain to them or any of them?"

Ideal thing in a modern democracy! 😂 The bootlickers are welcome to their servility. 

What a woman, she truly transcends politics and time. What a speech today. I would have hoped that brought a wee tear to even the most joyless of the hard nosed republicans.
We will lose her soon, and what a loss she will be. Let’s celebrate her twilight years.
Post your messages of tribute to our head of state on here.
Long to reign over us.
Nothing personal against her but your status in society shouldn't depend on who your father was.

The thing that annoys me is the swans. They look delicious and i'd like to try one but apparently you need the Queen's permission. But there's nowhere on her website to enter your details or even download a form. 

If you needed Sainsburys' permission, or even Tesco's, they'd have an eform. Maybe not Morrisons but the point stands. 

If he wanted to, Charlie could call himself King Arthur. His full name is Charles Philip Arthur George Windsor (or Mountbatten-Windsor?), and he can pick whatever forename he likes.
Aye, any time I hear 'King Charles', it's just a daft wee squash-faced dug with no chin and big ears.
The similarities are remarkable.

I am in no way a royalist and post this queen, I think the Royal family either needs to swiftly adapt or it will cease to exist, but what I would say is that the Queen has had a purpose more of late than probably any other time in last 25 years. Not by just being queen and whatever people take from that, but more by her actions during this pandemic. When the chips were down, she has been far more in tune with the people than the government of the day could ever dream to be. From a restricted funeral for her husband to the self isolations this Christmas, she has done what the vast majority of us have done. Does not excuse many other wrongs, but she could have, if she wanted to, not bothered and got away with it. I don't take much action from her lead, but a lot, particularly elderly, people in the country do and there will be some who will have acted as a result, which may have helped save people from very different Christmases. 

What it does for a lot of those in government who oppose such restrictions is put them in an awkward position. Either the queen is a weak sheep or they are at odds with her. 

Do I care what she says in her speech? Not really, do I care what she ate for Christmas Dinner? No. But do I think she has filled some of the void in leadership this last year on covid vacated by the government? Yes.