God Save The Queen

Lex

3 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Some of the closures are just fucking nonsense - cancelling hospital appointments and operations is just a joke.

Trust me, we didn't want to cancel stuff. Problem we had in theatres was that we had a lot of staff with caring commitments. Since schools, nurseries and day centres were shut and they all had to take emergency carers' leave, which mean we had to cancel some lists so that we could staff the others based on surgical priority. Given we can only staff at the bare bones normally, it doesn't take many to be off to cause problems.

I avoided most of the nonsense. Out at 9am on the bike, roads quiet AF which was pleasing. I did bike past one house of absolute lunatics about 10:45 - Kirkton of Menmuir which is a wee hamlet near .... f**k it just ask @Hedgecutter - house draped with a massive butcher's apron, whole family sitting in living room watching what I can only assume would have been the build up. Nutters.

Went up to mum's in the afternoon who was absolutely seething at the wall to wall coverage. That was pretty surprising as she was also a traditional royalist type. 

Finally thought I'd nip into Asda at 6pm to pick up stuff for tea. Of course it was utter mayhem because the population of Forfar can't cope without a supermarket open for 10 hours. 

My wife is English and we live here, I wouldn't say she's particularly a royalist but she's been fascinated by this. I asked why and she couldn't explain it to me other than the queen's always been there, I can only assume schools push the charade at a young age. 

My 11 year old however has inherited my sense of perspective and could not gone a solitary f**k, asked what's the point of a day off school if you can't go anywhere just because an old woman died a fortnight ago. 

9 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

Finally thought I'd nip into Asda at 6pm to pick up stuff for tea. Of course it was utter mayhem because the population of Forfar can't cope without a supermarket open for 10 hours. 

Much like yourself it would seem.