God Save The Queen

Lex

31 minutes ago, BFTD said:

You're the one who knew what he was talking about, elderly man with adult children.

Alright, I'll let it go.

And an eleven year old grand daughter who was a big fan at the time but would now be embarrassed to admit it.

A few years ago I asked her mum what I should get her for Christmas.

”Well she’s really into Frozen stuff” was the reply.

So I got her a pack of fish fingers.

30 minutes ago, GordonD said:

I can imagine the dispatcher asking for somebody to deal with a riot at the doughnut shop - and fifty police cars turn up.

Just after I posted, a thought came to mind. One lot queued for a Krispy Kreme, while the second lot queued for a Krispy Queen.

18 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

And an eleven year old grand daughter who was a big fan at the time but would now be embarrassed to admit it.

Oh, you card.

I made the mistake of telling the missus what I really thought of Frozen within earshot of the wean as we emerged from the cinema. His poor wee face fell and I've never quite forgiven myself. Hard to believe there was a time when my opinion was of any importance.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/sep/14/mourning-united-kingdom-queen-death-westminster-politicians

"It is one of the curiosities of this moment that, by dying at Balmoral, the Queen thrust Scotland into the spotlight at the centre of the national stage in a manner that would never have occurred had she died in London or at Windsor. If she had died in southern England, the media coverage would have been more remorselessly metrocentric, and the diverse texture of the Scottish, Northern Irish and Welsh dimensions of the succession far less salient.

Instead, the event and the coverage have been more truly, but perhaps only briefly, national. An accident of geography gave us the hearse’s poignant passage from Deeside down the glorious Angus coast, its progress back and forth through Edinburgh’s magnificent Old Town and the more intimate service at St Giles’s. For anyone living in England, the last few days have provided a crash course in Scotland and its institutions, of which most English people know nothing, and an all-too-rare chance to see Britain as a more complicated, three-dimensional country than generally occurs under London’s cultural dominance.

All this, though, will cut little ice with the country’s real political rulers. Far too many British politicians care nothing and know little about this three-dimensional Britain. They don’t go there if they do not have to. Too often, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are out of sight and out of mind. Whether they intended it or not, too many politicians have imbibed the devolve-and-forget approach to the other nations. As a result, they have presided over a growing apart not a coming together."

8 hours ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/sep/14/mourning-united-kingdom-queen-death-westminster-politicians

"It is one of the curiosities of this moment that, by dying at Balmoral, the Queen thrust Scotland into the spotlight at the centre of the national stage in a manner that would never have occurred had she died in London or at Windsor. If she had died in southern England, the media coverage would have been more remorselessly metrocentric, and the diverse texture of the Scottish, Northern Irish and Welsh dimensions of the succession far less salient.

Instead, the event and the coverage have been more truly, but perhaps only briefly, national. An accident of geography gave us the hearse’s poignant passage from Deeside down the glorious Angus coast, its progress back and forth through Edinburgh’s magnificent Old Town and the more intimate service at St Giles’s. For anyone living in England, the last few days have provided a crash course in Scotland and its institutions, of which most English people know nothing, and an all-too-rare chance to see Britain as a more complicated, three-dimensional country than generally occurs under London’s cultural dominance.

All this, though, will cut little ice with the country’s real political rulers. Far too many British politicians care nothing and know little about this three-dimensional Britain. They don’t go there if they do not have to. Too often, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are out of sight and out of mind. Whether they intended it or not, too many politicians have imbibed the devolve-and-forget approach to the other nations. As a result, they have presided over a growing apart not a coming together."

And Kwasi Karteng's disgraceful proposal to remove the cap on banker's bonuses to 'boost' the City of London will further rip the UK apart.  Nye Bevan wasn't wrong when he described the Tories as vermin.

Edited by Frank Quitely

1 minute ago, Soapy FFC said:

Turning the sound off so no one else can hear?

Adding the Royal Anthem* probably increases the "excitement".  (Regardless of which "hub" they are watching! 😂

(*Don't like "National Anthem" as it seems to have hee-haw to do with the "Nation" and everything to do with the preservation of the Monarch. To those who consider that it's appropriate in the 21st century to equate the result of two humans shagging with "the country" ... you have my sympathies. 

17 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Gary Delaney strikes again.

CEDAR RAPIDS, IA—Noting that she exhibited no other signs of illness that would indicate a psychotic break, mental health experts told reporters Wednesday they were baffled by local Iowa woman Terri Francis, who last week posted a thank-you message to Queen Elizabeth II on social media. “After studying Terri’s brain chemistry and her family’s medical history, we are no closer to understanding why she, an 56-year-old American woman, posted a heartfelt, emotional tribute to a recently deceased British monarch,” said psychologist Nancy Yates, who, in collaboration with dozens of top behavioral health experts across the country, proposed that perhaps early-onset dementia, schizophrenia, or a large brain tumor could be to blame for the mother of three posting a 600-word Facebook tribute that espoused her love for a 96-year-old queen with whom she had absolutely zero connections. “In the aforementioned post, she called the late queen a ‘hero,’ said she’d prayed for England and the entire royal family, and repeatedly stated that she had spent the entire night crying. Given that she’s lived in Iowa her entire life, has never left the United States, and has no British heritage whatsoever, we believe Terri may be experiencing a full-on break from reality and urge her to seek help immediately.” At press time, Yates and her colleagues unilaterally recommended the Iowa woman be involuntarily committed after finding evidence that she had been collecting plates adorned with Queen Elizabeth’s face for decades.