God Save The Queen

Lex

1 hour ago, GTG_03 said:

Yep. I worked with an ex forces lad who (along with his wife and kids) would stand in front of the TV and salute the queen during her speech at Xmas. 

Utterly mental behaviour.

An intriguing question to ask Royalists is if they would throw themselves in front of a bullet to save the queen (or alternatively would they kneel down so she can step over them).

Some totally mentalists would say yes which is always a good laugh.

3 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

Christopher Peers is right up for it.

Which isn't much of a surprise.

That's a lot of fat on that gammon.

image.png.5a0d458c7cf24ca382a91b64e56c45b3.png

“Overwhelming demand from our brilliant viewers”. Aye, Geoff from Surrey and Tam from Scotstoun were very vocal.

The only person I know who watches GB News in the morning is a Rangers fan so staunch he held a house party for Princess Eugenie's wedding. 

I recently found out my da watches it as he thinks the BBC is too left wing. He's not a Rangers fan though, so he's not totally beyond help.

6 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

People getting excited by a dirge entreating a non existent entity to save an outdated institution is pretty sad.

I totally understand why America makes such a big thing about the flag and the anthem and all that.  Basically they want any new immigrant to stop being an immigrant and just be an American as soon as possible.  Won't be me but I get it.  The Star Spangled Banner does a decent job in that regard.

By comparison, I doubt any new arrival would want to sing "God Save the Rich B***h".  I am not wanting to criticise the Queen here - more the lack of it being about "us".

FoS is slightly better but not by much.

Honestly Agadoo or Shang-a-lang would be an improvement.

A People's Anthem is required.

IMO

3 hours ago, Fullerene said:

I totally understand why America makes such a big thing about the flag and the anthem and all that.  Basically they want any new immigrant to stop being an immigrant and just be an American as soon as possible.  Won't be me but I get it.  The Star Spangled Banner does a decent job in that regard.

By comparison, I doubt any new arrival would want to sing "God Save the Rich B***h".  I am not wanting to criticise the Queen here - more the lack of it being about "us".

FoS is slightly better but not by much.

Honestly Agadoo or Shang-a-lang would be an improvement.

A People's Anthem is required.

IMO

The world is in the state it's in by America being inclusive. Russia and China are behaving like bell ends.

When I joined the Scouts I had to promise to do my duty to God and the Queen

No doubt the Big Man has kept his own ledger but I'd like to apologise to Brenda for the fighting at dodgeball in the 67th Salisbury and walloping Graham with a chair in self defence.. On the other hand if you'd turned up one Friday night with some wagon wheels and a bottle of Irn Bru we might not have started a pagger.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure whether to put this in the Normal Island thread

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10458521/amp/10million-people-expected-join-thank-parties-Queens-Platinum-Jubilee.html

Just heard Grant Mitchell on the wireless explaining that Her Maj being Queen for a long time has inspired people to become key workers. So she deserves a party. 

These people can vote

On 31/01/2022 at 09:45, coprolite said:

Not sure whether to put this in the Normal Island thread

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10458521/amp/10million-people-expected-join-thank-parties-Queens-Platinum-Jubilee.html

Just heard Grant Mitchell on the wireless explaining that Her Maj being Queen for a long time has inspired people to become key workers. So she deserves a party. 

These people can vote

Smacks of uber subject Ben Fogle trying to get everyone in to their gardens to sing Happy Birthday to the Queen during lockdown. Faced with a backlash he throws his daughter under the bus by saying it was her idea all along. 

What is it with these people who wish to foist their uber fawning and servitude on to everyone else - is it

a) an attempt to try and pass off their bizarre leanings as normal?;

b) Is it really about honours and some kind of recognition?; or

c) do they really think people up and down the country have the same feelings to the Royal Family as they have within their little bubble?; 

d) all of the above

Edited by KingRocketman II

6 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

Smacks of uber subject Ben Fogle trying to get everyone in to their gardens to sing Happy Birthday to the Queen during lockdown. Faced with a backlash he throws his daughter under the bus by saying it was her idea all along. 

What is it with these people who wish to foist their uber fawning and servitude on to everyone else - is it

a) an attempt to try and pass of their bizarre leanings as normal?;

b) Is it really about honours and some kind of recognition?; or

c) do they really think people up and down the country have the same feelings to the Royal Family as they have within their little bubble?; 

d) all of the above

So you agree that these gatherings are an excellent opportunity for a massacre? 

Anyone who takes the national anthem guff seriously should be reminded daily that had it not been for a couple of accidents of birth (and maybe) a court case in the USA, our next "gracious" and "noble", there by the grace of the supernatural monarch would be Prince Andrew who despite his "interesting" past remains 9th in line to the throne. 

Edited by Salt n Vinegar

Some fuds always seem to come up with the idea of "let's have street parties" for these commemorations.

This is 2022, no f*cker knows who their neighbours are, let alone talks to them. 

I'm nearly 50.  I've never been to a street party in my puff. Maybe some fool in our street might think it a good idea but thankfully I doubt it.

4 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Some fuds always seem to come up with the idea of "let's have street parties" for these commemorations.

This is 2022, no f*cker knows who their neighbours are, let alone talks to them. 

I'm nearly 50.  I've never been to a street party in my puff. Maybe some fool in our street might think it a good idea but thankfully I doubt it.

My 15 year old daughter has recently got into Shameless. I used to love that programme and it's exactly what they would have done.

Apologies if it's already on here, but cba looking through the whole thread.

Wrt that "tune", saw this in the Grauniad recently, a version written in 1794 by an American republican and French citizen Joel Barlow:

God save the Guillotine

Till England's King and Queen

Her power shall prove:

Till each appointed knob

Affords a clipping job

Let no vile halter rob

The Guillotine...

6 hours ago, BMG Spider said:

Joel Barlow

A worthless mountebank and fraudster I would suggest, Sir! God protect Elizabeth's downy and fragrant neck!

He worked as an agent for American speculator William Duer to set up the Scioto Company in Paris in 1788, and to sell worthless deeds to land in the Northwest Territory which it did not own.