Wordle

Arch Stanton

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

I more often fail to use my correct letters by mistake than deliberately, but it seems a legitimate tactical move to me. What's the P&B consensus on using hard mode?ย 

I'm the same, and somehow managed to do it twice today . I don't think I have hard mode turned on but I always play it that way. It genuinely never occurred to me to not play it that way

1 minute ago, Squalor Vic said:

I'm the same, and somehow managed to do it twice today . I don't think I have hard mode turned on but I always play it that way. It genuinely never occurred to me to not play it that way

I suppose if you absolutely can't think of any word that fits it might be worthwhile to get a clue. Don't see the point if it's just to narrow down the number of available letters though.

For me, the fun in the game is trying to think of the best word that will fit with the letters I've already discovered. It's always going to be slower than starting with a few words containing the most commonly-used letters, or using a Scrabble dictionary, but I'd rather not bother than do that.

Reminds me a bit of the kids at school who'd use cheats to burn through video games as quick as possible. Didn't understand what they got out of it.

4 hours ago, Smurph said:

Wordle 219 5/6

โฌœ๐ŸŸจโฌœ๐ŸŸจโฌœ
๐ŸŸจโฌœโฌœโฌœ๐ŸŸจ
โฌœโฌœ๐ŸŸจ๐ŸŸจ๐ŸŸจ
โฌœโฌœโฌœโฌœ๐ŸŸฉ
๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉ

ย 

Yeah I would normally do self-governed hard mode but couldnโ€™t think of an answer for attempt four with the letters I had, so went for something just to see if anything would fit - apparently not haha
Iโ€™d never heard of todays word (or maybe I had, but certainly donโ€™t see it regularly, outwith the now obvious JFK context). Had a few goes of making up words like Snowl (shorthand snowy owl, obviously) and then was surprised when it lit up in green

Edited by Smurph

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I more often fail to use my correct letters by mistake than deliberately, but it seems a legitimate tactical move to me. What's the P&B consensus on using hard mode?ย 

Don't like it. It means sometimes you could be left with four or five possible answers and lose through not being lucky. If you're able to eliminate letters by putting in the wrong answers it remains a game of skill.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

16 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

That was a real struggle to come up with a fourth word with the three letters I had then it just came to me.

Wordle 219 4/6

emoji833.pngemoji833.pngemoji833.pngemoji833.pngemoji833.png
emoji833.png๐ŸŸจemoji833.png๐ŸŸจemoji833.png
emoji833.png๐ŸŸจ๐ŸŸฉemoji833.png๐ŸŸจ
๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉ

Dittoโ€ฆand a similar terrible start.

Wordle 219 4/6

โฌœโฌœโฌœโฌœโฌœ
โฌœโฌœโฌœ๐ŸŸจ๐ŸŸจ
โฌœ๐ŸŸจ๐ŸŸจ๐ŸŸจโฌœ
๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉ

28 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I donโ€™t have hard mode on, but I play that way anyway.

ย Is there a consensus on starting words? Iโ€™m currently using audio each time thanks to the 4 vowels, but Iโ€™m not really getting close until the 4th guess most of the time.ย 

Snap, I think we've only had one letter right for the last week, but at least it ruled out 3 vowels minimum. My strategy is more about keeping a successful sequence going than getting low scores, which is mainly about luck imo. Still annoyed about screwing up after 21 goes with an unforced error.

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I donโ€™t have hard mode on, but I play that way anyway.

ย Is there a consensus on starting words? Iโ€™m currently using audio each time thanks to the 4 vowels, but Iโ€™m not really getting close until the 4th guess most of the time.ย 

I start with a similar word to knock off a bunch of vowels. Used to do the same with some of the most common consonants. I don't think it's made much of a difference either way TBH. I know that a load of people were using SHITE as their starting word - I got down to something like SHI_E one day a few weeks ago and had a joyous moment of thinking I'd log in here to a torrent of Harry Redknapp picsย ย :lol:

By the way everyone, be careful when Googling Wordle now - apparently some c**t has worked out how the site generates the daily words, and has put up spoilers for weeks into the future. There's always one. On the other hand, searching for 'wordle' on Google now brings up its own wee Google Doodle.