Heart of Midlothian FC v Ross County

13 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Since he returned to the club, he's started 30 games,  in total.  He's got 13 goals, admittedly with a number off the bench.

I've got no arguments with players getting dropped off the back of bad performances.  He was murder in the cup final and the Hibs game last season for example.  But he's not started a game since February and still managed 5 goals.

I’ve no problem with his scoring stats. I’d like to see him coming off the bench and doing that more regularly, absolutely. He seems to think he should be starting more games for us though. I disagree with that, based on the rest of his game. 

I actually think GMS and Woodburn get too much stick tbh. Was it not Woodburn that got us up the park and started the move that Walker scored from? GMS’s stats hold up well compared to others in our squad. 

I just think Walker is far more effective coming of the bench.

Edited by Kyle Reese

3 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Even if you think Ian Black is talking rubbish

“Let he who is without the sin of posting nonsense about hearts in the internet cast the first stone”

In the words of this week’s birthday boy Jewish raconteur, conjurer and secretary of lower Galilee Hearts Jesus H Christ

Absolutely. I doubt however, that even the Edinburgh Evening News has fallen so far, that you or I calling for Neilson to pack his bags if he doesn’t pick a player, would make the back pages. 

7 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

I’ve no problem with his scoring stats. I’d like to see him coming off the bench and doing that more regularly, absolutely. He seems to think he should be starting more games for us though. I disagree with that, based on the rest of his game. 

I actually think GMS and Woodburn get too much stick tbh. Was it not Woodburn that got us up the park and started the move that Walker scored from? GMS’s stats hold up well compared to others in our squad. 

I just think Walker is far more effective coming of the bench.

Actually, I think this was the one he scored but was given as off side. Apologies.

15 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Even if you think Ian Black is talking rubbish

“Let he who is without the sin of posting nonsense about hearts in the internet cast the first stone”

In the words of this week’s birthday boy Jewish raconteur, conjurer and secretary of lower Galilee Hearts Jesus H Christ

I believe JHC was a Galilee Walker as well.

For me, Walker is a forward rather than a midfielder, and he's behind Boyce and Ginelly, but ahead of Nando.

GMS is lightweight and can be frustrating, but he'll get you an assist or a pen and the occasional goal.

Woodburn needs to contribute more.

McKay starts every game for me.

The issue with Walker remains that you never know whether he will turn up or not. 

I like that we now have decent competition for places - there will always be players who miss out, possibly unfairly - I keep hearing that McAneff deserves starts, but that's hard when Devlin, Beni and Haring are playing well.

1 minute ago, paranoid android said:

For me, Walker is a forward rather than a midfielder, and he's behind Boyce and Ginelly, but ahead of Nando.

GMS is lightweight and can be frustrating, but he'll get you an assist or a pen and the occasional goal.

Woodburn needs to contribute more.

McKay starts every game for me.

The issue with Walker remains that you never know whether he will turn up or not. 

I like that we now have decent competition for places - there will always be players who miss out, possibly unfairly - I keep hearing that McAneff deserves starts, but that's hard when Devlin, Beni and Haring are playing well.

for me Walker wouldnt even have the contract hes got let alone a renewal, lazy man freewheeling at Hearts get shot of him waste of a jersey.

32 minutes ago, sairyinthat said:

for me Walker wouldnt even have the contract hes got let alone a renewal, lazy man freewheeling at Hearts get shot of him waste of a jersey.

See. this is it - for every fan that says Walker should be starting games, there's another who thinks we shouldn't have taken him back.

I've always said with Walker that it's up to him - he's a player when he applies himself. 

On 20/12/2021 at 11:45, Kyle Reese said:

My guess at our starting eleven:

Gordon

Cochrane - Souttar - Halkett 

Halliday - McEneff - Haring - Moore

McKay - Ginelly - Walker

Is MC Escher picking the team?

Anyway, I really think if you're having to use Moore and Halliday at wing-back the 3-4-3 is not really a great option, particularly at home against a team near the bottom.

I'm not convinced Walker can play from the start but we need more goals from the forwards and he's earned his place for this one.

Assuming Kingsley is out:

Gordon

Smith* Souttar Halkett Cochrane

McEneff Haring

Ginnelly Walker McKay

Boyce**

*Moore if not fit

** Gnanduillet if not fit

15 minutes ago, DC92 said:

Is MC Escher picking the team?

Anyway, I really think if you're having to use Moore and Halliday at wing-back the 3-4-3 is not really a great option, particularly at home against a team near the bottom.

I'm not convinced Walker can play from the start but we need more goals from the forwards and he's earned his place for this one.

Assuming Kingsley is out:

Gordon

Smith* Souttar Halkett Cochrane

McEneff Haring

Ginnelly Walker McKay

Boyce**

*Moore if not fit

** Gnanduillet if not fit

Sorry, don't follow - The artist who produced a lot of monochrome optical illusion pieces? Staircase to nowhere etc?

I think Moore does well as a RWB in all honesty, and when he and Cochrane are our WBs in a 3-4-3, we control the midfield well, because they find space, make themselves available, and join in with the central midfielders. I think we will play a 3-4-3, whether it's my preference or not. Anyway, I should probably reiterate that this isn't my preferred team, it's what I think/thought Neilson will/would play, if the injury situation is what it looked like being at time of posting.

If Boyce is fit, then happy days, get him straight back in the team. 

2 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

Barry Anderson saying we're prepared to listen to offers for Nando - progress. 

If it allows us to bring someone in who can do the job he was brought in to do, but better than him, then yes. He's been pretty disappointing for me. 

30 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

Sorry, don't follow - The artist who produced a lot of monochrome optical illusion pieces? Staircase to nowhere etc?

I think Moore does well as a RWB in all honesty, and when he and Cochrane are our WBs in a 3-4-3, we control the midfield well, because they find space, make themselves available, and join in with the central midfielders. I think we will play a 3-4-3, whether it's my preference or not. Anyway, I should probably reiterate that this isn't my preferred team, it's what I think/thought Neilson will/would play, if the injury situation is what it looked like being at time of posting.

If Boyce is fit, then happy days, get him straight back in the team. 

:lol: The team was listed from back to front vertically but left to right horizontally. Just reminded me of that stairs picture.

I don't think we've got a proper RWB really. Moore doesn't offer creativity or goal threat in that position and Halliday on the other side just isn't very good. In a home game where we're expected to be on the front foot I think it's a waste to play them when we could play an extra attacker.

FWIW I also think it'll be 3-4-3.

21 minutes ago, DC92 said:

:lol: The team was listed from back to front vertically but left to right horizontally. Just reminded me of that stairs picture.

I don't think we've got a proper RWB really. Moore doesn't offer creativity or goal threat in that position and Halliday on the other side just isn't very good. In a home game where we're expected to be on the front foot I think it's a waste to play them when we could play an extra attacker.

FWIW I also think it'll be 3-4-3.

Ah! Yeah, fair enough. Wasn’t really paying much attention to left to right there. 😄

we absolutely don’t have a proper wingback in the first team squad, not that I’ve witnessed anyway. No idea about Logan, as I don’t remember ever seeing him play.

If we do play with wingbacks, then my preference is Moore and Cochrane though. If we had a proper wingback I’d be delighted to see them get the nod. As it stands though, I don’t think we do, and if it’s 3-4-3, then I want players who will at least join the midfield, and prevent the opposition swamping the two CMs.

Somewhat optimistic.

Hearts are a better side than us and sit deservedly above us in the table, but if Cookie, Hungbo, Spittal and Clarke can play well and we show the improved defensively solidity we have recently I think we can nab a point.

I knew Ross County had turned the corner a bit but didn't realise quite how good their form has been. They've only lost to Celtic (97th minute winner) and Rangers at Ibrox since October so I won't be taking a win for granted given the players we'll be missing.

On the team selection, I think Moore struggled with Charles-Cook when he played right-back in Dingwall and he got embarrassingly roasted by Kent a couple of weeks back, so as much as it might be an unpopular opinion, I'm hoping Smith is fit and will come into a back four.