St Johnstone nil v Ross County, Wednesday 22 December 2021

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Just me whos not seeing it with Viv? Very much one who benefits from a lack of minutes + being surrounded by shite. 

Was practically typing the same thing. I really don't see what others apparently are.

If he is expecting to get this move to the higher championship clubs or whoever he was supposed to go to he is far far away from that.

I have seen nothing that puts him even SPL quality

Players clipping the ball aimlessly forward as soon as they got it. Like watching a team of Gary Irvines.

Michael O'Halloran not making the ball stick up front? No shit. Not really his fault, though. And he was never getting in behind. 

No power left in May. Brown a Championship player.

Positives: Bryson busy as usual. Booth had a good first five  minutes. Thought Viv was lively and tried to make things happen without it ever looking likely (no space to work with, and not enough guile in the team generally).

County well worth the win, and Saints look like a team destined to lose a lot more games by a single goal if nothing changes.

That's the worst I've seen for St. Johnstone for some number of seasons. Craigan still talks about "big physical St Johnstone who go direct" but that's not been them for a long, long time. Stevie May is usually good for a goal but he was anonymous. for the majority of the game. 

Thought Baldwin was very good- his bizarre flat passes across the back he's keen on aside, Hungbo was class, RCC too. White battled hard. 

Though another game mostly passed Callachan aside. He's not been awful but it's just not working for him this season. 

Edited by Comrie

19 minutes ago, mizfit said:

The drop off from Clark to Parrish is absolutely frightening. It might’ve been a bit of rustiness, but Jesus that caught me off guard.

Parish v Celtic will be fun. Probably be first choice next season too.

Bet he's good for the dressing room though.

It really doesn’t seem that long ago that fans across the country (including our own) were, for weeks on end, pretty fairly asking the question of whether Regan Charles-Cook had ever actually seen a football before. A fine finish yesterday, oozing confidence and composure. His rise to stardom has almost been as remarkable as St Johnstone’s fall from grace.

Hungbo and RCC are a joke. We've all wanted actual pace in the team for years. 

I thought saints would be fine until I watched that last night, long balls up to May reminds me of long balls up to Schalk when we got relegated.

On a side note Harry Clarke has had a few weird performances in the last few weeks.

9 minutes ago, staggy1929 said:

I thought saints would be fine until I watched that last night, long balls up to May reminds me of long balls up to Schalk when we got relegated.

We do have 4-5 players isolating including 2 6ft plus strikers. Pity Callum never changed the tactics for his fellow hobbit May.

We were blessed last night. County missed a penalty and hit the woodwork 4 times. Yet we still lost, and they still created the better opportunities even when those chances are removed.

For all the County fans saying you thought we'd be ok until you saw us, most supporters have said that over the last few weeks. We are utterly doomed unless there's a minor miracle or the manager actually bucks HIS trend and signs good players in January and not just whoever his mate tells him to sign.

With that said, there was at least a little bit of fight in the first half. We were torn to ribbons constantly on the break, lost the midfield battle as our 3 midfielders were constantly ahead of the ball when County attacked and County also dominated the flanks but, you know, small graces.

The manager must adapt. He just looks like a complete moron lining up in more or less the same way every week and expecting a different result. Yes he changes the personnel but its like shuffling deckchairs on the titanic.

As far as I'm concerned, there's no way County will be in any danger. They've actually utilised the loan market well, bringing in quality players who are hungry to succeed. We have not, most of our are either second rate youngsters, old boys who aren't up to much and/or just aren't up for the fight.

Just me whos not seeing it with Viv? Very much one who benefits from a lack of minutes + being surrounded by shite. 
Butterfield was good for a spell after his goal but retreated back into his shell in the second half. 
I wouldn't be rushing to tie ourselves to either quickly, we've already got dross like Brown, MOH and May stuck at the club for another year as it is. 

Na, same boat. What has he provided so far? Not his fault entirely as he's playing in a struggling side. And this is the worry. We can all talk about new players in January, but who's joining us that is significantly better and will make a significant difference? And multiply that by the 4 or 5 we need.

I think our league position is certainly not one that can't be turned round with the right players, it's our ability to get those players that's my concern.

We could end up worse if we panic and sign up a number of loan and stop gap players who come for the cash and then decide they don't fancy the battle that much.

Dreadful again last night. I'm surprised folk think that was better, it was just a different shade of shit for me. 

The effort has been alright since the Dundee game but we still get outbattled and look out of gas as the game progresses. But the alarming thing is the lack of ability, just some really poor footballers in there. 

Even the Dundee win, did we have a whole host of chances on top of the goals? When did we last see a performance like the one from County last night where we could have scored four or five goals?

I've criticised him, he didn't do a defensive job at all, wasn't brave in dangerous areas and the body language was off, oh, and the final ball was shite BUT you saw with Middleton when he came on what attribute he does have and we haven't utilised that at all this season. Same with O'Halloran. And others. 

So if he isn't going to change the shape (and as others have said, Cleary signing suggests not) then he has to find rounder pegs.

Every single facet of individual footballers and a team, we are lacking. 

January is absolutely massive. This group aren't getting us out of this situation. 

Only other point on the game would be the goalkeeping for the first goal was pathetic from an experienced keeper. Appreciate he's short of practice but every single part it was dreadful. Poor, indecisive decision-making compounded by poor technique.

Well done County. 

35 minutes ago, Radford said:

Dreadful again last night. I'm surprised folk think that was better, it was just a different shade of shit for me. 

I think people are saying 'better' as there seemed to be some attacking intent. That was at least 'better' in some sense.

But as you say, players seemed to have regressed with an astonishing number of poor touches, misplaced passes etc and a lot of 'headless chicken' stuff. Not sure if it's a lack of fitness or commitment (both likely) but we are so slow and late to so many challenges it's fucking depressing. Reverting to pointless long balls was especially disheartening. 

For what was once a 'well drilled team' our shape towards the end was like they'd just been chucked randomly on the park. Middleton wing-back, Viv centre forward, May in the holding midfield position and Crawford in Gordon's CB role. 

Last night was a lesson on what can be done with a basic back 4, quick, direct wingers and a tall unit up front. We actually have the players for that. 

Edited to add about the keeper - it seemed after the goal that a few balls that I would have expected to be passed back were knocked out sideways, looked like complete lack of faith in Parish. Suspect Zander would have dealt with the first goal, not sure it would have changed the result though.

Edited by Valentino Bolognese

That goal would not have happened with Clark in goal. No way he rushes out that far and, even if he did, he wouldn’t have slid in and basically opened up the goal to the County player. If he stays on his feet then Charles-Cook would have had to do something fairly special to get Pat both Parish and Brown who was about a second away from getting back to cover. A completely needless goal to lose.

The second was similar - a move that once again started with a Saints defender under no pressure heading the ball straight to the feet of an opponent in a dangerous area. We then stood off and stood off and once the cross came in you saw the big difference between the teams - they had a striker attacking the ball and when it broke back off the post there were midfielders moving in to pick up the scraps. We put the ball in the middle and there’s just nobody.

There was a Twitter video the other day of Middleton’s goal against County last season and you could see the difference in it - not only was Middleton there for the cut back but Rooney was all the way up the park as a secondary option for either a cross or a rebound. When has anything like that happened this season? 

Edited by Jamie_Beatson