St Johnstone nil v Ross County, Wednesday 22 December 2021

1 minute ago, welldaft said:

Has there honestly been a bigger fall from grace ?

2 Cups in one season is just fkin incredible for a provincial side.

No-one saw this coming. No-one….

It was the first season in many that none of the pundits had Saints relegated so there you go.

I've said it constantly, but County have nothing to fear this season. A manager who understands that you get good players, play them where they thrive, and let them play.

We've got a clown with a system that suits about 1 player in the squad, and has the players obsessing over defensive positioning for 90 minutes. We looked good for about 15 minutes after the goal but even then what was actually created? Another few balls across the box where nobody could capitalise because nobody is gambling. 

We ended that game with a CB and winger up front, a winger at full back, and Ali Crawford as out deepest midfielder. Its quite incredible.

Normally look at positives and negatives however apart from butterfield looking decent and us showing a bit of fight and energy struggling for any real positives from that .

Negatives - 

Parrish will never be good enough or even close to being good enough - he cost us that game tonight.

The subs by Callum hurt us - Bryson was struggling but bringing Crawford on was never the answer. Viv looked like he couldn’t care less, and Middleton looked like he had decided he wasn’t going to play at wing back no matter what he was told.

We are conceding bad bad chances and that will send us down - if we can’t score we need to be good at the back at the moment we arent

In the end, the score line completely flattered Saints. We’ve dominated up until the penalty and then the whole second half we were in control. Could’ve been more. Hearts game has just been announced that it’s being played completely behind closed doors so good chance to go there now and get a point or 3 and go into the break a good few points clear.

8 minutes ago, Matty-RCFC said:

In the end, the score line completely flattered Saints. We’ve dominated up until the penalty and then the whole second half we were in control. Could’ve been more. 

Funny how County's manager reacting to going 2-1 up was to bring on another striker and go even more attacking, while we respond to going 2-1 down bringing on a winger to play full back.

County created more in about 5 minutes in that second half than we've created in months.

We went into the second half looking confident and full of it. f**k knows what happened in there but we were completely fucked after that.

I’m honesty dreading Boxing Day, I’m completely dreading the final score.

Funny how County's manager reacting to going 2-1 up was to bring on another striker and go even more attacking, while we respond to going 2-1 down bringing on a winger to play full back.
County created more in about 5 minutes in that second half than we've created in months.

Not a master on the St Johnstone arts by any stretch of the imagination, but I thought putting Middleton at left back was a bit strange. He was caught cheating so many times, hence us having many chances on the break in the last 15. That being said, he looked threatening(ish) down the left in the latter period too.

Just now, Matty-RCFC said:

Not a master on the St Johnstone arts by any stretch of the imagination, but I thought putting Middleton at left back was a bit strange. He was caught cheating so many times, hence us having many chances on the break in the last 15. That being said, he looked threatening(ish) down the left in the latter period too.

It was just a stupid, desperate, roll of the dice. Time to make that sub was at 1-1, if he's flat out refusing to change the shape, but trying to actually win a game never happens for us. Manager sets up for a draw, and we take the lead and try and hold it, or we fall behind and go all out to equalise.

Anyone with a brain could tell you that leaving McCart isolated against Hungbo was absolute suicide, yet that's the route we went down. Combined with sticking the invisible man in midfield alongside Davidson, who offers literally nothing apart from winning headers. We ended up over run in about 3 areas defensively yet still didn't have enough players getting into the box when attacking.

Just now, mizfit said:

Post match comments suggests there’s going to be some players punted, I’ll hold my breath.

That's inevitable. Literally no way we can continue with this squad.

All about the right players coming in and the manager giving them a set up to thrive in, which is where my worry is.

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

That's inevitable. Literally no way we can continue with this squad.

All about the right players coming in and the manager giving them a set up to thrive in, which is where my worry is.

Was surprised by his comments about the defence worrying him more than the attack.

In my opinion your attacking play is what's making you defend for large parts of the game. Ball coming back almost as fast as it goes up the park.

2 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Was surprised by his comments about the defence worrying him more than the attack.

In my opinion your attacking play is what's making you defend for large parts of the game. Ball coming back almost as fast as it goes up the park.

Our defence was soft as shit tonight tbf. Almost every County attack ended with a shot, and to concede that first goal is really poor.

We're in a bad way all over the park.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Our defence was soft as shit tonight tbf. Almost every County attack ended with a shot, and to concede that first goal is really poor.

We're in a bad way all over the park.

It’s amazing how much confidence in a goalie makes for a defence. However I have been worried how easy we have been conceding chances for a few weeks now

31 minutes ago, NYD1997 said:

It’s amazing how much confidence in a goalie makes for a defence. However I have been worried how easy we have been conceding chances for a few weeks now

It's a weak excuse if they'd try and claim that, they were just slow and weak to react to anything.

Entire side was like that. County playing Callachan and Spittal as a CM pairing and we don't even trouble them.

46 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Noah Fence etc but it is genuinely fucking mental that even you, a presumably disinterested Aberdeen fan, get this yet the manager is still going out and saying we lose games because of "poor goals" and blaming the defence. About 98% of our "attacks" are just punts to strikers who don't know how to challenge for the ball or make a run in behind and our midfield isn't good enough to win the ball back most of the time meaning its up to the defence - meaning they will concede goals because the defenders, who to a man in today's back three are good players, are not perfect and will concede if they are left with tricky attackers running at them with little protection several times in a game. 

We occasionally looked a bit more at it today when we used the midfielder but even when we did still encountered the problem that they a) aren't very good and b) are too slow to win the ball back when they lose it and c) the players they were trying to feed in attacking areas are shit. We need an entirely new midfield and an entirely new attack plus an attacking left wing back if Callum wants to stick with this system. If he doesn't and switches to a back four we might get away with just the new attack and a midfielder or two. 

Saddest thing about this is if Arbroath win the league we get Killie away instead of Arbroath away next season.

Hard to take any positives from losing a must not lose game. Davidson had clearly asked his central defenders to get more involved in the attacks but that left gaping holes for Hungbo and Charles-Cook to counter us in. This for me is the problem with this fucking formation, unless you have Ali McCann in their doing absolutely everything it's really hard to strike the balance between staying solid and still getting forward. It relies on attacking fullbacks that we simply don't have. Instead we are playing half the team out of position to suit it. It's nuts. A simple 4-4-2 at home would work most of the time.

For the second half of the season, both Butterfield and Viv deserve contracts.  Both look like decent footballers, calm and confident on the ball.

Crawford, Rooney, McCart, Middleton, O'halloran, Kane, Ambrose, Crawford and Muller could all leave and I wouldn't care. Even beyond that it's hard to find anyone except Clark who is actually having a good season.

Just me whos not seeing it with Viv? Very much one who benefits from a lack of minutes + being surrounded by shite. 

Butterfield was good for a spell after his goal but retreated back into his shell in the second half. 

I wouldn't be rushing to tie ourselves to either quickly, we've already got dross like Brown, MOH and May stuck at the club for another year as it is.