St Johnstone nil v Ross County, Wednesday 22 December 2021

And so here it is. The main event.  Probably the biggest game in the Premiership so far this season.

St Johnstone; low on confidence, unable to create chances, unable to keep clean sheets and who look like they’re in free fall, up against Ross County, a sectarian outpost where hatred of ethnic minorities and gay people is welcomed.

County must be strong favourites to win this one, being in good recent goal scoring form. A defeat for Saints leaves us well adrift at the bottom of the table, with the drug riddled shithole of Dundee our only possible salvation. 

We need something out of this match. Any way we can.  
Our already massive mountain to climb became even massiver with Chris Kane unavailable to not score for us. Also missing the enigma that is Eetu Vertainen, so it looks like the responsibility for not scoring for us falls on the head of Stevie May.  It is a role he has performed well in recent seasons.

Excuse my cynicism. I will be there cheering loudly at Hampden with the rest as we retain the Scottish Cup next May,  whilst finishing in a comfortable sixth place.  

It’s what we do. 

Agree that Davidson will play for a draw so we don't fall further behind.

You'd be as well just sticking four attacking names (Middleton doesn't even merit inclusion) in a tombola and drawing two or three out, as no combination looks appealing. 

Been over it elsewhere but May can only play in a two, O'Halloran can only play as an orthodox winger and Crawford at the front of a midfield three with no real defensive chores.

Solomon-Otabor and O'Halloran as wingers with May up front with another striker would have been my preference but I really, really don't want to see Middleton up front, or indeed in the team. Up front again would crush my soul though. Please send him back to Rangers in January.

Over the years whenever we are favourites against St. Johnstone we always lose. So wouldn't be surprised if we get turned over here. If Stevie May is fit, he'll score.

This gets a giant fucking "meh" from me. County are a better side than us this season and even if we win here they'll probably still be above us by the winter break. A win would probably just justify the system in the managers mind too.

I'll go in hope that something will be better and we'll win, but the best I'm hoping for is a scabby 1-0 win.

County will win this, annoying everyone in the process except for the few who back Mackay, however I also predict that, much to my disappointment, St Johnstone won't be relegated come the end of the season.

10 minutes ago, Ric said:

County will win this, annoying everyone in the process except for the few who back Mackay, however I also predict that, much to my disappointment, St Johnstone won't be relegated come the end of the season.

You're not going to be disappointed. 

Every year there's a team that's obviously shit and looks doomed. It's us this year. Do not be fooled by what's happened before. There is nothing to suggest this will be turning around.

2 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Every year there's a team that's obviously shit and looks doomed. It's Dundee this year.

FTFY

Neither Nelms nor Brown look like opening the chequebook for a festive spending spree, but both will be forced into it. So with all things being equal, and both teams being funded at least in part in the coming window, and sure he's not looked particularly bright recently, but Davidson is a better manager than McPake, and seemingly by quite some distance.

Saints will spend money in January, as long as Gary Rowett answers his phone to our manager. 

It's funny because at the time we didn't realise but you look back now at getting linked to players like Greg Stewart in the summer. Guess who signed him for Birmingham? 

13 minutes ago, Radford said:

Saints will spend money in January, as long as Gary Rowett answers his phone to our manager. 

It's funny because at the time we didn't realise but you look back now at getting linked to players like Greg Stewart in the summer. Guess who signed him for Birmingham? 

This isn't a loaded question, it's genuine. Has the money you got from your big sales at the end of the last window been put into a "war chest" for this one, or has it been "absorbed" into the club?

9 minutes ago, Ric said:

This isn't a loaded question, it's genuine. Has the money you got from your big sales at the end of the last window been put into a "war chest" for this one, or has it been "absorbed" into the club?

The chairman has said it's there to spend, or certainly the manager has put across in the press that he's been told there is money to spend next month.

The club have £5 million in cash sitting there, however much they try and play it down. 

Just now, Radford said:

The chairman has said it's there to spend, or certainly the manager has put across in the press that he's been told there is money to spend next month.

The club have £5 million in cash sitting there, however much they try and play it down. 

Ta. Quite the haul should he decide to release it. Even half of that, I'd wager, would be more than any single club in the league (except for the OF) spends in the coming window.

Got to have a safety net in case god forbid sky go bust. Never question the chairman he is all powerful and knows better than us all.