Ayr v Rovers - Boxing Day bash

Well done Ayr terrific performance and possibly shows what 2 individuals can do to a club, that said the players must keep that level up and I doubt most will be here next season but thanks for that today. I'm an auld dinosaur mainly and stuff like that put across by AUTV usually goes over my head, but it was continual and unjustified, as I said before I seriously doubt they were being consciously racist but it was way over the top and totally out of order, Adeloye has been played in an isolated role most of the season asking him to run 20/30 yards continually to close down full backs ect is pointless, he's done what is required and what no forward since shankers has achieved score, without him I'd suggest we'd be nearly down, not a world beater but not deserving the assassination he got today, on Afolabi I've never bought the "he doesn't try" just that the big lad isn't possibly that good that can happen with signings. The response from one individual came as no surprise, others well that was a shock 

It was 2-0 going on 5-0 if Tomi and Joe had their shooting boots on! Last week I had no notion of going but managed to get a ticket and glad I did, best performance by us in months! Also had the correct score at 14/1 and won on the Honest Men picks for the first time. Great day all round 😂

Edited by Thereisalight..

The thing about racist "intention" is that's not how racism works generally. It's an unconscious bias. The very fact that you've named more deserving players who haven't been called out for laziness, but are more deserving, ought to give a clue that there is something about Adeloye that causes an attentional bias towards his perceived laziness. 

I don't think the commentary team should be shamed for it so much as just having it pointed out so that they can learn from it. Too often folk get super defensive at being "accused" of racial bias but it's generally because there's a huge shame component attached to it. We all have racial biases (and other in-group vs out-group biases) as we're wired for it. Studies have shown that even those who don't suffer from self-diagnosed osteo-racism (they say they don't have a racist bone in their body) will make negative judgements on someone based on their race. 

Anyway, we didn't have a game today, hence the intrusion. Enjoy your evening honest men (and bonnie lassies)

I have read the "accusation" of racism. It is absolute nonsense, I've been severely physically threatened for standing up to racists on several occasions here, called it out in a southern state in America, campaigned against apartheid and passionately stood against racism and bigotry all my teenage and adult life.

Claire gave her opinion on a player that she didn't think chased and closed down enough, that had zero to do with the colour of his skin. Actually, in my opinion, it has everything to do with the idiotic tactics deployed by Duffy and Hopkin. One isolated striker with half a brain isn't going to waste energy against three or four defenders. Tomi is clearly an intelligent forward and can see when it's worth closing down defenders, and that's when you're playing a high line. Credit to Tomi.

I've know Calum for years and I've met Claire on several occasions. To accuse them of racism is absolutely ludicrous and frankly demeans the fight against genuine racism. Let's put this to bed now.

To the game, Tomi had his best game for us, Maxwell was outstanding, Chalmers and Murdoch actually gave us a midfield. In fact. every player gave their all, there were no failures which proves what many of us believe, we have a limited squad hampered by very, very poor managers

That unbeaten run feels a long time ago. I was sitting in the Novar watching that game go 2-0. I can’t say it was a big surprise. 

I looked at the team and the only real omission is Berra. Spencer too I suppose seen as he was a big influence in midfield.

Hopefully we can recapture some form soon.

Evidently it was Duffy.
I'm going to buck the trend and say I didn't think you where actually all that today. I genuinely think we were just terrible and after gifting you the first goal didn't ever get going. You pressed decent enough, but we would normally have played around that pretty easily. Don't get me wrong, you 100% deserved the win and I'm taking nothing away from you today.

2 hours ago, Mod1967 said:

Well done Ayr terrific performance and possibly shows what 2 individuals can do to a club, that said the players must keep that level up and I doubt most will be here next season but thanks for that today. I'm an auld dinosaur mainly and stuff like that put across by AUTV usually goes over my head, but it was continual and unjustified, as I said before I seriously doubt they were being consciously racist but it was way over the top and totally out of order, Adeloye has been played in an isolated role most of the season asking him to run 20/30 yards continually to close down full backs ect is pointless, he's done what is required and what no forward since shankers has achieved score, without him I'd suggest we'd be nearly down, not a world beater but not deserving the assassination he got today, on Afolabi I've never bought the "he doesn't try" just that the big lad isn't possibly that good that can happen with signings. The response from one individual came as no surprise, others well that was a shock 

I'm not entirely convinced Afolabi isn't in the doesn't try camp. Wouldn't be the first player coming from a bigger club who thought he was playing below his station, and frankly, for someone coming from a club like Celtic his performance level this season has been shockingly poor. At times it's looked like he's never kicked a football before. hope he's second on the list for leaving in January anyway.

3 minutes ago, grumswall said:
16 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:
Evidently it was Duffy.

I'm going to buck the trend and say I didn't think you where actually all that today. I genuinely think we were just terrible and after gifting you the first goal didn't ever get going. You pressed decent enough, but we would normally have played around that pretty easily. Don't get me wrong, you 100% deserved the win and I'm taking nothing away from you today.

Didn't see the game but it's a win, first in a dozen games or so, so that's all that matters atm for us. Just good to stop the rot.

1 minute ago, grumswall said:
13 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:
Evidently it was Duffy.

Compared to Duffy's "permanent" contract days, we played completely differently today. We played higher up the pitch, closed you down and had options to pass to further up the pitch. Jim Duffy had us sitting back like we were at Little Bighorn and frankly has an old fashioned junior football philosophy that isn't fit for the Championship. Jim isn't a bad person, but football has moved on form his way of thinking.

I think we were "all that", 5-0/ 5-1 would not have been an unfair reflection of genuine chances today.

11 minutes ago, grumswall said:
23 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:
Evidently it was Duffy.

Taking nothing away, except that you would have played around us easily if you had turned up!

You don’t win 2-0, going on five or six just by the other team being shite. We helped to cause your performance by playing aggressively and on the front foot. Your centre halves had no idea how to handle Adeloye and the rest of the side struggled with the directness of Bradley, Maxwell and McKenzie. 

6 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

I'm not entirely convinced Afolabi isn't in the doesn't try camp. Wouldn't be the first player coming from a bigger club who thought he was playing below his station, and frankly, for someone coming from a club like Celtic his performance level this season has been shockingly poor. At times it's looked like he's never kicked a football before. hope he's second on the list for leaving in January anyway.

Sorry, I totally disagree, Afolabi is a player who can't fit into the Jim Duffy set-up. When we're on the front foot, I think he can and has shone. Just think where your confidence would be if you couldn't get a game every week under the Duffy regime.

Football players are humans like he rest of us and confidence probably trumps ability  in the Championship for most players who play in it. I think Afolabi is at a crossroads, there is a player in there but can he get the confidence to do it consistently?

Taking nothing away, except that you would have played around us easily if you had turned up!
You don’t win 2-0, going on five or six just by the other team being shite. We helped to cause your performance by playing aggressively and on the front foot. Your centre halves had no idea how to handle Adeloye and the rest of the side struggled with the directness of Bradley, Maxwell and McKenzie. 
One of our strengths the past two seasons has been our ability to play out from the back. Today we struggled with that. You pressed very well at times, but if we hadn't had the mistake for the first goal, i don't believe you would have taken the confidence from being a goal up after a gifted goal (good, tidy finish though).
Had we started better and not gifted the opening goal, we wouldn't have commited as many men forward leaving the gap for the second. There was nothing backhanded in what I said. We had one of our worst performances of the season and going by the commentary at least, you had your best. You deserved the win 100%. If we hadn't gifted the first goal, I don't see where your opening goal would have came from though as you are a very poor team as you all know. We were pish. You where better. I can deal with the defeat. Deal with a compliment ffs.