Game(s) for the Holiday Season

BFTD

I'd imagine quite a few posters are in the same situation as me, not having much time to play games until the Christmas break, so I try to pick a game to play that requires more than just casual attention while I've got a bit of time off. What game (or games, you jammy b*****d) are you planning to give your time to over this yuletide period?

Last year was Cyberpunk 2077 for me - quite enjoyed it, despite the initial disappointment that the world was way too empty (or, rather, they made it far too big for the content they were able to create for it). The plethora of non-game breaking glitches just made it all the more entertaining, as I'm weird like that.

This year, I was hoping that the System Shock remake and/or System Shock 2 Enhanced Edition might have been out, but I'm at a bit of a loss now. Tempted to finally play through The Witcher 2, which I must have owned for about a decade now, mainly so I can get on to The Witcher 3 next Christmas, as everyone other than @Homer Thompson seemed to like it  :P

33 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I'd imagine quite a few posters are in the same situation as me, not having much time to play games until the Christmas break, so I try to pick a game to play that requires more than just casual attention while I've got a bit of time off. What game (or games, you jammy b*****d) are you planning to give your time to over this yuletide period?

Last year was Cyberpunk 2077 for me - quite enjoyed it, despite the initial disappointment that the world was way too empty (or, rather, they made it far too big for the content they were able to create for it). The plethora of non-game breaking glitches just made it all the more entertaining, as I'm weird like that.

This year, I was hoping that the System Shock remake and/or System Shock 2 Enhanced Edition might have been out, but I'm at a bit of a loss now. Tempted to finally play through The Witcher 2, which I must have owned for about a decade now, mainly so I can get on to The Witcher 3 next Christmas, as everyone other than @Homer Thompson seemed to like it  :P

Meh, I wouldnt say I didnt like it, it took a while but I got into it eventually. It just isnt as good as people make out, unless you're a big fan of cut scenes.

This year, I was hoping that the System Shock remake and/or System Shock 2 Enhanced Edition might have been out, but I'm at a bit of a loss now. Tempted to finally play through The Witcher 2, which I must have owned for about a decade now, mainly so I can get on to The Witcher 3 next Christmas, as everyone other than [mention=1702]Homer Thompson[/mention] seemed to like it  [emoji14]
Days Gone if you haven't given it a go, definitely playable for an extended time.

I may actually get round to giving Cyberpunk a proper go now they’ve had a year to make it a bit more stable. It ran okay for me on PC anyway. Just a few crashes to desk top which was a bit annoying. I just couldn’t get into it knowing how much of a shambles the launch had been.

ETA: I also purchased Death Stranding during the last Steam sale. I plan to play that quite a bit over the Christmas period.

Edited by Scott-Replay

15 hours ago, Scott-Replay said:

I may actually get round to giving Cyberpunk a proper go now they’ve had a year to make it a bit more stable. It ran okay for me on PC anyway. Just a few crashes to desk top which was a bit annoying. I just couldn’t get into it knowing how much of a shambles the launch had been.

ETA: I also purchased Death Stranding during the last Steam sale. I plan to play that quite a bit over the Christmas period.

Cyberpunk was something else on launch. Right at the start of the Nomad playthrough, there were a bunch of guys floating in mid-air in the middle of the street. It got worse from there!

I wonder if they ever fixed the pointless faces you could pull in the mirror. What a shite feature to include and completely f**k up.

I really need to stop buying games as my back catalogue just grows and grows and inevitably I end up just playing FIFA when I get the time to game!

I've bought Deathloop, Guardians of the Galaxy, Metro Exodus and Halo Infinite (well, gamepass for this one) recently on the sales so hopefully get into at least one of them over the next couple of weeks! 

I'm going back to my ma's and I want to be a little bit sociable so I'll be taking my Switch instead. Planning to blast through the Pokemon Diamond remake and then, if I'm feeling psychotic, I may devote some proper time to Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne which I've put three hours into so far. That's 3 hours because that was the first opportunity to save that I was given.

Tempted to get V as well as I heard it's incredibly tough and punishing which might work for a JRPG.

Think I'm going to finally try Deus Ex: Human Revolution once I get the housework/coursework/workwork out of the way for 2021. It seems similar to the kind of immersive sim I'd been hoping to play, and I'm still not really in the mood for dirty medieval shaggers called Gerald.

I do quite fancy Days Gone though, despite the mediocre reviews I've seen, and I must have missed Jim's video on Death's Door. We don't always share the same taste in games, but it's always entertaining to see them play/talk about them.

51 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I do quite fancy Days Gone though, despite the mediocre reviews I've seen, and I must have missed Jim's video on Death's Door. We don't always share the same taste in games, but it's always entertaining to see them play/talk about them.

It was in the EOY Game awards and was described as 'fucking legit' - I hadn't seen anything about it either and liked the premise, art style and description of the gameplay. It's £16 on Steam, so I'll be giving it a bash at somepoint.

I picked up Back 4 Blood at £22 yesterday on CD keys. Loved the L4D games but I wasn't for paying the full whack for this when it came out.

Played a few hours last night and enjoyed it. Bit harder than its predecessors.

Put a few hours into Halo Infinite today. I'm really not liking the open world aspect - same old boring shite that's been done to death now. They fucked Gears of War with elements of it and now they've fucked Halo the same. 

Why are people so against linear story campaigns these days?

9 hours ago, #Gary said:

Put a few hours into Halo Infinite today. I'm really not liking the open world aspect - same old boring shite that's been done to death now. They fucked Gears of War with elements of it and now they've fucked Halo the same. 

Why are people so against linear story campaigns these days?

Probably due to how stale a linear campaign can be, if a game tells you to go from A to B via a certain way encountering certain enemies at certain points, the replay value is minimal and if the missions repeat themselves in such a way it gets boring quick

I agree that full blown open world is a bit overdone now, large f**k off maps that have shit tons of stuff to do outside the quest as well can be a bit boring, id like someone to mix it up a bit (might already have been done, im not fully up to date with latest games) 

Make it linear in that you are told go from a to b and do this, however getting from a to b you have a couple different options to choose from and each option has different tactic for doing it, and each option opens up another small branch in a quest line

I like Halo Infinite's campaign in a pick up and play for 40 minutes sorta thing but it's not right to say the linear campaign approach is necessarily stale. It's stale only if it's as stupidly on-rails and deliberately cinematic as Call of Duty's try to be. The Bungie campaigns were superb examples of linear level design that had wide and varied approaches because they were still sandboxes with loads of toys flung in to spice them up. 

On 22/12/2021 at 15:23, BFTD said:

Think I'm going to finally try Deus Ex: Human Revolution once I get the housework/coursework/workwork out of the way for 2021. It seems similar to the kind of immersive sim I'd been hoping to play, and I'm still not really in the mood for dirty medieval shaggers called Gerald.

Days gone is one of my favourite "bad" games. It's pretty stupid, and dead cheesy, but the actual gameplay I think is pretty good fun, and the motorbike handles really well. I've played through it twice and regretted nothing.

Gave up with Halo, just can't take to the open world. It's very rare that I ever complete open world checklists (God of War the only one in the last few years that I can think of).

I prefer a story driven game if I'm not playing online multiplayer. I've completed Guardians of the Galaxy over the last few days. 

I thought it looked tragic when it was first announced, it wasn't given months of hype, and Square Enix had already royally fucked up the Avengers game which should've been massive. Decided to give it a go when I seen it on sale though and I'm glad I did as it really is a fantastic game - surprise of the year for sure! 

• 3 weeks later...