Best football moments/events/things of the year

Richey Edwards

Scotland v Israel for me.
I hadn’t been to a Scotland game since the mid 90s and went with my youngest son. We had tickets for the Israel euro playoff game that was postponed due to lockdown.
The Denmark game comes a close second though I felt Scotland played better in that than the Israeli game there wasn’t the 94 minute drama.
I can remember being as excited about the national team and upcoming games (other when I should have known better in 78!) I prefer it to the club game at the moment.

On 17/12/2021 at 08:05, Day of the Lords said:

Felt a bit sorry for Saka and Rashford, but nonetheless the whole thing was extremely funny. 

The way it played out was a bit of a shanner given Saka and Rashford especially seem sound and all the shite they got but I just made up for it by watching the Italy equaliser about a hundred times in the day after.

Obviously all the Scotland stuff. The Euros were great especially having lived in Italy until a few months prior. I probably knew their squad better than our own.

Domestically our title win was absolutely nuts. McCall was getting his jotters at 2-0 down at half time versus East Fife, but from that moment on we were a juggernaut.

Scoring less than a goal a game then netting 21 in as many days. Tiffoney scoring more goals in three weeks than his entire career beforehand, Rudden not scoring for a year and a half then averaging two a game. Sealing it with a fixture to spare in a 5-0 win over a hilariously imploding Falkirk side was icing on the cake. I don't think we'll see its like again.

Shame it was somewhat tarnished by our board's (and some fans') bleating about how we came to be in League One in the first place, which was strangely by being the worst team in the Championship the year before. ab55de9b9cbfc8ab3a7ff4eed1e6645e.jpg

From a Hearts perspective, beating Celtic on the opening day was fantastic and the equaliser at Ibrox. Personally, I've loved every minute of being back at the football this year, after a pretty barren 2020.

Prior to that, the Euro's as a whole was incredible. Had a lot of shit going on in my personal life, but days out to the pub with my mates watching football gave me that escape and saw me fall back in love with the game again after a year and a bit of Covid crap. Nessun Dorma before the Italy vs Turkey match almost had me going.

Scotland beating Israel 3-2 for me. I was in the stadium and the atmosphere and the feeling of grabbing a last min winner was just incredible.
Scotland v Israel for me.
I hadn’t been to a Scotland game since the mid 90s and went with my youngest son. We had tickets for the Israel euro playoff game that was postponed due to lockdown.
The Denmark game comes a close second though I felt Scotland played better in that than the Israeli game there wasn’t the 94 minute drama.
I can remember being as excited about the national team and upcoming games (other when I should have known better in 78!) I prefer it to the club game at the moment.
It's another Scotland 3-2 Israel vote from me too.

The game was a red card away from having everything. It was everything that association football should be about.

Zahavi and McGinn brilliance, a set play goal, Dykes determination and even the VAR added to it, some excellent play, penalty save and heroics from Marciano the the injury time winner with elation from one side and despair from the other.

Even at 2-2 I said to my brother that it was one of the best games of football I had been at, the winner just capped it. Cathartic.

Being at the two home Euros games was extremely special, something I'll never forget. The Denmark home game was incredibly good too.

Honourable mention for the return of the grassroots game, amazing to be back to participation (albeit through refereeing in my case) for so, so many. Will never take it for granted ever again.

StMirren beating Celtic at Parkhead for the first time in 30 odd years. Shame nobody was there to see it. The only team to beat the gruesome twosome last season.

McMuffins winner v Israel and the game in general. Roy of the rovers stuff. 

Scotland schooling Denmark. Probably the best 90 minute performamce ive seen us put in and maybe will ever see us put in. McGinn bursting a gut for a 3rd goal with minutes to go summed it up for me.

Scotland at the Euros. Back in the big time (and panini sticker album). A new generation of Scotland fans have the bug and some folk that lost the faith have refound it.

2022 could be even more special if we get to Qatar.

1. The Scottish national men’s team giving us a rollercoaster ride was good.

2. The NFL weekend at Tottenham’s stunning new stadium for Miami v Jacksonville.

3. That oh-so-brief spell early in the season when St Mirren looked half decent.

4. St Mirren getting a gutsy point against Celtic in the recent 0-0 draw.

5. Lewis Hamilton getting pumped with Toto Wolff throwing an absolute tantrum.

On 28/12/2021 at 23:17, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I’m sure most people will include their first live game back. After a while where it looked like I might have sat next to my dad at Tynecastle for the last time getting to go to Hearts vs Celtic together was extra special. Beating Celtic was nice too

I had to sell my Celtic ticket as it clashed with my mates wedding. :( 

1. Thistle thrashing the abysmal Bairns 5-0 to win promotion to the Championship after our unfair relegation.

Falkirk not making the play-offs after blowing a 6 point lead.

2. England's missed penalties in the Euro Final shoot out against Italy.

3. Killie's relegation to the Championship.

4. Neil Lennon being sacked by the green cheek and Eddie Howe finally telling them to GTF.

Edited by Bishop Briggs