Omicron impact

Just a few more weeks…..

Nah. 161% increase in COVID cases in a week in the 16-24 year olds age group where there is high prevalence of non vaccination or many still to get booster.
I suspect it’ll be the end of Feb at the earliest when we will start to even discuss relaxing measures sadly.

4 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Nah. 161% increase in COVID cases in a week in the 16-24 year olds age group where there is high prevalence of non vaccination or many still to get booster.
I suspect it’ll be the end of Feb at the earliest when we will start to even discuss relaxing measures sadly.

80% of people in that age group have had at least 1 vaccine. 11 (ELEVEN) people in that age group have died in Scotland since COVID started. Shutting down football because of a rise in cases in an age group who do not die from this illness is completely nonsensical. Shutting it down until February would be madness on a level we have not yet seen through this pandemic. 

Throwing stats like "161% rise in cases in that age group" about sounds really scary, but what it actually means in terms of a strain on our health system is nothing. 

80% of people in that age group have had at least 1 vaccine. 11 (ELEVEN) people in that age group have died in Scotland since COVID started. Shutting down football because of a rise in cases in an age group who do not die from this illness is completely nonsensical. Shutting it down until February would be madness on a level we have not yet seen through this pandemic. 
Throwing stats like "161% rise in cases in that age group" about sounds really scary, but what it actually means in terms of a strain on our health system is nothing. 

I think you are reinterpreting my email.
The point is that older more vulnerable people don’t exist in a separate vacuum, so if it’s accelerating at pace over coming weeks in younger that will move up the age chain so we possibly are going to see a lot of hospitalisations in coming weeks and the peak has a few weeks to go before we get back into acceptable territory again.
Nothing to do with the health of younger people as I previously clarified on an earlier post..

4 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

The point is that older more vulnerable people don’t exist in a separate vacuum, so if it’s accelerating at pace over coming weeks in younger that will move up the age chain so we possibly are going to see a lot of hospitalisations in coming weeks and the peak has a few weeks to go before we get back into acceptable territory again.
Nothing to do with the health of younger people as I previously clarified on an earlier post..

“Acceptable territory” Roman? The number of people in Scottish hospitals with Covid is half of what it was in September, and the number in ICU is just over a third of what it was in September. There is no data that make today’s announcement anything other than utterly unacceptable.  

Edited by bairn88

1 hour ago, roman_bairn said:

Key word there being cases. 

1 minute ago, roman_bairn said:

If older people who have now had 3 vaccines (we have one of the best vaccine uptakes in the world in the vulnerable age group) still do not feel comfortable going to a crowded space they can still watch the games from home. The evidence of cases right now doesn't suggest a peak in a few weeks, despite what guys like Jason Leitch say. As your fellow Bairn has pointed out, cases were much worse in September when we were all free to go about our business, and evidence suggests the strain of COVID hammering the country at that point was a more severe strain that what we're dealing with now. There comes a point where people will need to assess their own risk and make their own decision, can I ask when you see that point coming?

“Acceptable territory” Roman? The number of people in Scottish hospitals with Covid is half of what it was in September, and the number in ICU is just over a third of what it was in September. There is no data that make today’s announcement anything other than utterly unacceptable.  

Ah ok. So we should just blindly move forward based on todays figures and not take any proactive action to protect the public from unknown risk?
What a me, me, me society we live in nowadays….

2 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Ah ok. So we should just blindly move forward based on todays figures and not take any proactive action to protect the public from unknown risk?

Yes and let people get on with their lives. 

Edited by TheBigGuy

Well yes, absolutely. That’s exactly how we’ve always done it. Why on earth would we bring in prior restrictions to an unknown (in this case it actually is known) threat? 

I presume you fought for restrictions every winter prior to 2019. Some bad years had 20k+ flu deaths. Social distancing measures, as has been proven in the last 2 years, all but eliminate flu. Did we introduce them then? No! Of course not! And the mere mention of them would’ve confined you to the loony bin. Our appreciation of risk, as a society, has been totally eroded due to constant, hourly, worry and fear over covid. No one, it seems, including government, can remember how it used to be 

Well yes, absolutely. That’s exactly how we’ve always done it. Why on earth would we bring in prior restrictions to an unknown (in this case it actually is known) threat? 
I presume you fought for restrictions every winter prior to 2019. Some bad years had 20k+ flu deaths. Social distancing measures, as has been proven in the last 2 years, all but eliminate flu. Did we introduce them then? No! Of course not! And the mere mention of them would’ve confined you to the loony bin. Our appreciation of risk, as a society, has been totally eroded due to constant, hourly, worry and fear over covid. No one, it seems, including government, can remember how it used to be 

If, blundering Boris had been more proactive at the start of this pandemic and not deferred for a few weeks there would have been significantly less deaths in the UK than we ended up with.
You are advocating the exact same approach again without any clear evidence at the moment to support a significantly less virulent strain.
Pretty much the whole of Europe’s leaders are taking a stringent approach, but obviously, you know better…

28 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Glad you find it all so simple. I'm immensely glad its not me having to make these decisions. They're not easy.

36 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

If, blundering Boris had been more proactive at the start of this pandemic and not deferred for a few weeks there would have been significantly less deaths in the UK than we ended up with.
You are advocating the exact same approach again without any clear evidence at the moment to support a significantly less virulent strain.
Pretty much the whole of Europe’s leaders are taking a stringent approach, but obviously, you know better…

They all also have lower vaccination rate than here. Have to point out working in a shop that a big number of Eastern Europeans don't wear a mask.

At least 500 people will get into the games. Better than nothing

Do you think clubs will let in 500, say season ticket holders? They won't make any money from then & may cite stewarding costs etc meaning they'll lose money. 

I'm sure that was an argument towards the end of last season. 

Or will they just play to an empty ground again & hope it is just for the 3 weeks? 

1 minute ago, Life on Marrs? said:

Do you think clubs will let in 500, say season ticket holders? They won't make any money from then & may cite stewarding costs etc meaning they'll lose money. 

Or will they just play to an empty ground again & hope it is just for the 3 weeks? 

There won't be many in the top 4 divisions that can make economic sense of allowing a game to go ahead with a 500 limit.

3 minutes ago, Life on Marrs? said:

Valid point and you will probably be correct!

2 hours ago, bairn88 said:

Social distancing measures, as has been proven in the last 2 years, all but eliminate flu. Did we introduce them then? No! Of course not! And the mere mention of them would’ve confined you to the loony bin.

That's a(nother) reason for keeping them in place though.

South African advisors have recommended their government drops the testing and isolating as they don’t seem to make a difference and cause other harmful issues.  They don’t understand why the UK is freaking out over Omicron.

I didn’t buy a season ticket as I expected we’d already be in “lockdown” by now anyway.  Clyde removed the option to watch a stream with the credit on the season ticket so I didn’t fancy paying twice to watch a blurry, detached version of reality.  And what a reality!