Motherwell v St. Johnstone - 18th December 2021

My first game since ciftci hammered Accies. Thought I might miss it cos my day 2 PCR test results were delayed, but all worked out and I got to subject the weans to a freezing Fir Park and steak pies (which they liked), and they now have the impression that Motherwell are good. Very nice of everyone to arrange the win to recognize my travel efforts.

Great to see Sol back in and Donnelly get 90 mins. Cornelius had a good game on top of the goal, and McGinley is winning me over as well.

St. J looked very flat, but some of that was down to how we handled them. I still think they have enough of a squad to stay up comfortably.

27 minutes ago, Well Well said:

I wonder where Zander will go when Saints are relegated. He looked pretty forlorn after that 2nd goal.

Sounds like it was Rangers as back up, no idea if thats still a goer now they've changed boss.

Hes one of many in that squad who know they won't be with us next season, some with different reasons than others. A real pickle we've gotten ourselves into. 

Pretty low key game really and as comfortable as it gets in this league. I thought we were our normal selves but nothing spectacular and as I expected, Saints just looked like a team with no confidence whatsoever - there was a couple of times they should have got a shot off and they messed about.

My main paranoia about today was that we were going to lose the first goal and have a depressing game to watch but to our credit we got the first goal that almost felt like it killed the game as Saints' heads went down noticeably. Cornelius took the goal really well and put in a decent performance again - maybe our midfield problems aren't as bad as thought, especially as Donnelly put in a good shift in his first game for a while.

I'm looking at our next 3 vs Livi, County and other Saints and feeling greedy....  

17 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Sounds like it was Rangers as back up, no idea if thats still a goer now they've changed boss.

Hes one of many in that squad who know they won't be with us next season, some with different reasons than others. A real pickle we've gotten ourselves into. 

He would have to agree to shaving regularly and washing his hair daily first, we have standards. 

Having read this thread after the match I was surprised that the early pages saw Saints fans thinking they had got off to a good start, I thought they were poor, and this is perhaps a measure of where they are.

I accept that we have hardly ever faltered when GA has put an extra defender on but that was the only period that the game was played in the Motherwell defensive third.

A good result.

Just sticking a post up out of habit really. Everything about today was pish. The foggy drive there and back. The cold. The less than 200 fans. The dry pie. 

Oh aye, and the football. 

The fact we've picked up Butterfield and (temporarily) Viv gives some hope that we can get hold of some quality but it might well be too little too late and unless it's strikers we are, deservedly, relegated. There's seems doubt there's issues in the dressing room, Davidson (C not M) applauding the fans when he was walking off at half time looked like a 'f**k you'. 

I agree with others that we've surely got to change the formation up and move the ball differently in the final third. No point in going into detail about individual players, other than to say I'm totally bored of Shaun Rooney. The novelty of his running last season masked a big quality issue, and the ranting / spoiled child act can get in the bin. 

3 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Just sticking a post up out of habit really. Everything about today was pish. The foggy drive there and back. The cold. The less than 200 fans. The dry pie. 

Oh aye, and the football. 

The fact we've picked up Butterfield and (temporarily) Viv gives some hope that we can get hold of some quality but it might well be too little too late and unless it's strikers we are, deservedly, relegated. There's seems doubt there's issues in the dressing room, Davidson (C not M) applauding the fans when he was walking off at half time looked like a 'f**k you'. 

I agree with others that we've surely got to change the formation up and move the ball differently in the final third. No point in going into detail about individual players, other than to say I'm totally bored of Shaun Rooney. The novelty of his running last season masked a big quality issue, and the ranting / spoiled child act can get in the bin. 

Apologies for the pie

45 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Currently watching the highlights.  Why are all the St Johnstone fans behind the goal dressed the same (in scout neckers or something)?

I was thinking that myself when watching the game. 

50 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Currently watching the highlights.  Why are all the St Johnstone fans behind the goal dressed the same (in scout neckers or something)?

Last seen running about near the Civic getting a chaser aff the polis.

I had the fear about today. Generally in the last decade St Johnstone have been a right pain to play, especially at Fir Park.

And as an unbiased view I actually thought they were OK 1st half. Had a lot of possession and a lot of that was in and around our box. There were times where a bit of luck would have presented an easy chance or tap in. We got lucky on a few occasions. 

I never actually thought we played that well up until the 2nd goal went in and we relaxed and started to play some decent football. By that time there was no way back for St Johnstone and it was easy to see why they are bottom and struggling to score goals.

We play Livi, Ross C and St Mirren next and you know they will ALL be tougher games. That is the worry for St Johnstone. 

Edited by welldaft

1 hour ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

I think a change might inject some freshness into us and maybe get players further up the park, but ultimately we lack quality in the final third.

MOH/May/Kane are never going to consistently perform never mind score. Crawford isn't up to it. Wotherspoon out for the season. Viv will be off in January. Vertainen clearly one the manager doesn't like.

Whos left to cause problems for teams? Middleton I guess, but hes been hit and miss even since last season.

We have issues deeper than the formation.

1 minute ago, KirkySuperSub said:

So basically, winning two cups in the one season is to be avoided, as it only leads to a shitstorm a few months down the road...?!  🤔

For us it seems to be winning the Scottish Cup that does it. We had similar problems in 14/15 but Tommy Wright managed to get us through it.