MO - QP

39 minutes ago, watdeadlyone said:

Almost missed the penalty too.

My stream was buffering for that so I did miss it. I spent most of the game utterly pixelost. I didn't have a scooby what was happening, so can't really comment on whether a draw was a fair result or not.

Scotch mist eh!

Would’ve taken a point at the start given we have about 6 of the starting 11 out injured/ill and would’ve bitten your hand off at halftime after QP scored from their only real chance of the half.  Longridge took it well but we gift wrapped it for him with the lack of marking.  Enter SP and a complete change of shape at halftime … game changed completely and we could’ve and should’ve won it.  Thoroughly enjoyed him changing it again when Ellis figured out what was happening (took him 20 mins to do it tho) and changed his team’s shape to compensate.  Thought QP were slick in midfield (first half) but otherwise not that impressive given the advantages of being full time and minted. 

14 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Liam Brown was kicked all over the place by Falkirk and was taken off in the game. COVID is a decent shout for the rest. Remember that isolating rules are fairly strict too.

Was Morrison not also taken off with an injury against Falkirk?

8 minutes ago, Ben Reilly said:

Was Morrison not also taken off with an injury against Falkirk?

Yep. He moved out to right back when Kilday came on for Davidson. He definitely took a bad looking knock and was replaced by Max Gillies. No Kilday, Morrison or Gillies today and no Brown or McHugh. Murray injured today too?

Interesting what notsofedupendie says above about Montrose changing their approach at halftime and Queen's failing to respond. That's been a regular feature of Queen's play this season.

2 hours ago, williebraveheart said:

I just cannot understand why we have no game for a fortnight and suddenly we have four players out injured who were not injured two weeks ago. Some serious questions have to be asked about our training  methods and fitness coaching.

On top of that Murray and Gillespie didn't look match ready.  Longridge though has been consistently good for most of the season and that defensive line-up was pretty solid. Neither team really created anything other than the goals and that superb point-blank stop from Ferrie. 

Have to admit after the first half performance of what I seen a draw was probably the correct result.Good move for QP for their goal,they had alot of joy down the left side which was frustrating and would have been a different outcome if Cammy Ballantyne was playing I would think,mark Whatley never had the best of games playing RB but did his best and can't fault that.

Second half we looked more like ourselves Blair Lyons again with a foul in the box and we win a penalty must be about 4-5 now he has won us.Pushed on for a winner but it wasn't to be but a point is better than nothing.

James Keating's what we thinking? Hasn't really had the best of times with us due to being injured and in and out of the team which is unfortunate.Keep past January if their is an option to extend? Their is 100% a good player in their just don't think we have seen the best of him yet.

Edited by mo83

Thought we were really unlucky today.  The team we had to field was covid and injury ridden yet was never bothered by Queen's Pee apart from a defensive error that they scored from.  We were never going to score many with SP forced to play Keatings leading the attack.  He has yet to produce anything for us.  But heyho not losing under the circumstances to an, apparently, full time squad (shower of wage thieves) shows the resilience and positive approach MightMo has to every game.

Why was the Queens Pee player not sent off at the penalty as it was the most apparent goal scoring opportunity ever?

31 minutes ago, MO7S said:

Why was the Queens Pee player not sent off at the penalty as it was the most apparent goal scoring opportunity ever?

Nowadays if the referee deems that the defender was making an attempt to play the ball while giving away a penalty, which he was, it’s never going to be red, only yellow. 

Thoroughly enjoyed today’s match. After a decent start by Montrose, Queen’s Park had the better of the first half, and just deserved their lead at half time. Good finish. But Montrose came out in the second half and completed dominated for long spells, and should have won the match. Montrose seemed a bit shot-shy around the edge of the box, and could have won it from a chance from a late corner. I spent the first half standing behind a very entertaining group of Queens Park fans. A weird bunch of a “Barmy Army”, who seemed to be a pissed up group of middle aged hipsters. Very entertaining though, as I said.

17 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

We had a couple of decent spells but we are so afraid of shooting it's criminal.

The title's gone.

It looked like leaving you a month ago. 

Title looks to be Cove’s, they are starting to make a gap, but strange things can happen. Falkirk might have a resurgence, though I’m not sure if they still have Holt in charge? 

1 hour ago, Angus of the Mo said:

Title looks to be Cove’s, they are starting to make a gap, but strange things can happen.

Yes they can but Cove have been on this trajectory for several years now and have an air of belief that it’s their right to win the league. Both our clubs still seem to be in the thankful-for-what-we-have phase. With half a season gone, and Cove having their dull spell behind them, we already need them to lose four games whilst we win all of ours. 

As for the game, it’ll be a crying shame if there’s no video record of the QP goal. Both in creation and finish it was the kind of goal every fan wants to see their team deliver. Unfortunately it seemed to mark the end of our control of the game and the slick short passing was soon to be replaced by the longer balls as Mo pressed us backwards. The second half lacked periods of control by either team with goal efforts mostly of the half-chance category. As the sands sifted away Queen’s pace somehow quickened but, as so often, the frenetic energy lacked the final composure.

Comments from Mo fans indicate their team lacked it’s balance due to absentees and the same can be said for QP, especially up front where yet again only Longridge looked threatening, though Smith is improving weekly. Gillespie’s attack in the goal build up was special but he too lacks consistency at the moment. Connell had his quietest game so far. The fog restricted what was seen of the defence but Fox seemed the one most involved and did his bit at the other end on dead balls. Robson and Doyle also keen to get forward but there was seldom the movement ahead of them to create space for useful passes. All in all, a point against a tough opponent was a decent result.

I finally gave in yesterday to the fact that we’re not good enough to win the league. Seems ridiculous with half a season to go. Our playing pool is too imbalanced. Lots of ball players but lacking in competing skills. Persistent changing of the defence, which by now should be rock solid. And the very light strike force. Couldn’t imagine two months ago that Bob McHugh would be our best option up-front. Some poor choices have been made with signings, especially mature players with long-existing injury problems which have now become QP problems. These guys are not making a useful contribution to the campaign but are tying up money that could be better used in January. Decisions taken then will tell us if promotion is really wanted this season.