LL2

Wee Smiler

22 minutes ago, Wee Smiler said:

Anyone know whats happening with LL2? 

Nothing. There was an official working group formed within the LL back in 2018 that never went anywhere. Since then it just exists as an idea.

Both George Fraser (last LL Chair) and Thomas Brown (new LL Chair) have made references to the idea as a way for more movement within the pyramid. Yet it was little more than spitballing the idea during podcast appearances with multiple ideas on what it could look like.

Any attempt to get it started involves the LL, WoSFL, EoSFL, SoSFL, and SFA. As it involves fundamentally changing the LL Pyramid Play-off, the SFA JPP, and ripping up Tier 6 leagues that has the cascade effect all the way down.

6 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Nothing. There was an official working group formed within the LL back in 2018 that never went anywhere. Since then it just exists as an idea.

Both George Fraser (last LL Chair) and Thomas Brown (new LL Chair) have made references to the idea as a way for more movement within the pyramid. Yet it was little more than spitballing the idea during podcast appearances with multiple ideas on what it could look like.

Any attempt to get it started involves the LL, WoSFL, EoSFL, SoSFL, and SFA. As it involves fundamentally changing the LL Pyramid Play-off, the SFA JPP, and ripping up Tier 6 leagues that has the cascade effect all the way down.

I was sent this from a committee member at a LL club, I believe it is part of a document which Is sent to clubs after each board meeting. 

Lowland Working Group
The group met recently where it was felt there was no current requirement for a SLFL 2 and that it was important to discuss with clubs possible further promotion opportunities into the SLFL. The Board noted there could also be a rebranding opportunity should the Leagues agree to work closer together and agreed to add Increased promotion/relegation between Tiers 5 and 6 onto the agenda for the next General Meeting.

5 minutes ago, Pyramid Watcher said:

I was sent this from a committee member at a LL club, I believe it is part of a document which Is sent to clubs after each board meeting. 

Lowland Working Group
The group met recently where it was felt there was no current requirement for a SLFL 2 and that it was important to discuss with clubs possible further promotion opportunities into the SLFL. The Board noted there could also be a rebranding opportunity should the Leagues agree to work closer together and agreed to add Increased promotion/relegation between Tiers 5 and 6 onto the agenda for the next General Meeting.

Tell your committee member that the SLFL doesn't need to rebrand if the 16 best clubs in the Lowland area are part of the league (especially if that happens much quicker than it would under the current rules).

And maybe suggest that the bare minimum changes to next season's rules should be that the bottom club cannot escape relegation...

35 minutes ago, Pyramid Watcher said:

Lowland Working Group

Does this mean more relegation from the lowland but no more promotion from it to league 2?????

26 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Tell your committee member that the SLFL doesn't need to rebrand if the 16 best clubs in the Lowland area are part of the league (especially if that happens much quicker than it would under the current rules).

And maybe suggest that the bare minimum changes to next season's rules should be that the bottom club cannot escape relegation...

I am sure there will be a few views aired at the mentioned general meeting.

20 minutes ago, Pyramid Watcher said:

I think it will be discussed, but getting clubs to agree to increased relegation will be difficult I would think.

Well you need 9 clubs to vote for it at an AGM/SGM, so the question is are there 8 clubs who would feel threatened enough by more relegation, to vote no?

Agree with the idea that the bottom club goes down each season no matter what (assuming a completed league season).

One way to maybe encourage existing clubs to move more quickly over additional promotions from Tier 6 would be to increase the size of the League to 18 "proper" clubs for next season. Don't know if the constitution may allow that. 

Extra two clubs could be elected or a method agreed with the three Tier 6 Leagues.

The HL has 18 clubs so why shouldn't the same opportunities be available for Lowland area clubs too?

Just a wild guess but maybe there's a potential Big Name sponsor for the whole of the Lowland Pyramid including the South Cup? Could individual leagues somehow then also have their own sponsorship deals with other sponsors, as some league would be of more local interest to one company than to another company?

162 clubs covering the whole of the Lowland League area sounds as though it ought to be more interesting to a big name company than four smaller leagues. 

1 hour ago, GNU_Linux said:

The bit about 're-branding' is interesting. If I'm reading it correctly I'd guess the LL plans to reach out to it's feeders to see if they'd add the LL prefix eg WOSL becomes LL West.

My wild speculation would be that the Killiepie man from Darvel will throw some money their way if they agree a second automatic promotion spot.

1 hour ago, Dev said:

Just a wild guess but maybe there's a potential Big Name sponsor for the whole of the Lowland Pyramid including the South Cup? Could individual leagues somehow then also have their own sponsorship deals with other sponsors, as some league would be of more local interest to one company than to another company?

162 clubs covering the whole of the Lowland League area sounds as though it ought to be more interesting to a big name company than four smaller leagues. 

So what exactly are the "Big Name sponsor" sponsoring? The Lowland League and South Challenge Cup? They've both been sponsored before, there's nothing stopping someone doing that again. The WoSFL and EoSFL currently have sponsors.

While the one big company covering everything might sound appealing, you're confronted by the first question of how the money gets divvied up?

16 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

So what exactly are the "Big Name sponsor" sponsoring? The Lowland League and South Challenge Cup? They've both been sponsored before, there's nothing stopping someone doing that again. The WoSFL and EoSFL currently have sponsors.

While the one big company covering everything might sound appealing, you're confronted by the first question of how the money gets divvied up?

I don't disagree but perhaps someone has found a motive to come up with something better which could be good for every league and club? Presumably IF there was something so good (BIG IF) it would not be too much of an issue to divi up the spoils?

Edited by Dev