Season in Doubt

Pyramid Watcher

My default attitude is positivity and I am confident that the season will conclude. Before they stop "The Fitbaw" they would need to shut down all the pubs, clubs and restaurants and bring back furlough.

Don't see the Tories doing that down South and that would have to happen before the SNP could afford to do it up here.

5 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

My default attitude is positivity and I am confident that the season will conclude. Before they stop "The Fitbaw" they would need to shut down all the pubs, clubs and restaurants and bring back furlough.

Don't see the Tories doing that down South and that would have to happen before the SNP could afford to do it up here.

Agreed. If they locked down again their would be riots.

13 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

A majority of games have been played. There's not likely to be a disruption long enough that it would prevent the season being played out this time.

Good point, and a lot of the leagues built in some Leeway by starting early.

17 minutes ago, Pyramid Watcher said:

Good point, and a lot of the leagues built in some Leeway by starting early.

You would think if they were to try something it would be over the holidays when schools are off and promote the booster rollout.

Most of the non-league are off the two holiday weekends, and well its Scotland. The weather's going to knock off a fair few fixtures regardless.

13 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

You would think if they were to try something it would be over the holidays when schools are off and promote the booster rollout.

Most of the non-league are off the two holiday weekends, and well its Scotland. The weather's going to knock off a fair few fixtures regardless.

Exactly.  Forget mandated postponement.  There are going to be a significant number of COVID-postponements across the senior leagues in Scotland and England over the next six weeks.  The havoc will be at the top tiers where there simply isn't the leeway for rearranging fixtures.  Of course they'll get it done, but like Hibs have found recently, it won't be pretty.

For the lower leagues, games are already more commonly lost to the weather, so I'd expect January COVID problems to be no more of an issue than a bad winter.

But in short - expect significant disruption.  With these levels of infections, it is inevitable.

Edited by HuttonDressedAsLahm

17 hours ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

Agreed. If they locked down again their would be riots.

Hopefully not riots but certainly I'd fully expect people to exercise their right to a peaceful protest and I wouldn't blame them.

I am a huge film and sports fan.  I go to the cinema every weekend.  I go to every Shire game I can manage home and away.  On top of that I go to all of Scotland's home games at rugby and I go to all of the Glasgow Warriors home games too.

I've been double vaxxed and I'm getting my booster this Monday.  I'm fully vaxxed and getting boosted so that I can do the things I enjoy whilst being safe for myself and others too.

I'm not getting boosted just so I can stare at the 4 walls until spring.

I think the season will be finished (although I thought that last season so make of that what you will). I cant see there being further lockdowns at the severity there was before given the boosters, Covid passports and lack of furlough. As others have noted January is a bad time for postponments anyway.

I'd not considered this before but part time clubs maybe actually benefit here, it's less likely that Covid can run through an entire squad when they don't spend more than a few hours a week together. Far easier to socially distance at games as well. Admittedly it's also easier to cancel the season because hardly anyone would notice compared to the top flight.