Sons vs Blue Toon

I've said it before and I'll say it again... our worst signing of the summer was re-signing Ramsbottom. He is absolutely dreadful and shouldn't be anywhere near this level as a first choice. The fact we have absolutely no competition for him is a farce as well.

The rest of the team do us no favours either. The experienced guys do anything but lead by example.

Not good enough.

Edited by squeezebox-son

I'm not really sure what I can say after that, that hasn't already been said countless times already. If you defend in the way we do then you aren't going to win many games. 

I've never seen a Dumbarton team defend this badly. Ever. 

We were too deep and caught out for the first goal. The second was a howler from Sam. And the third was a 6'5 targetman being given a free header from a corner. 

Take nothing away from Peterhead. Like Montrose last week they bounced back from conceding early. They didn't panic and once they got their noses in front they were very comfortable in seeing the game out. Not one person could deny that they deserved all three points at full-time.

What's massively concerning me at the moment is that we weren't totally awful today. Just like last week. We aren't being pummelled by teams, it's just that teams don't have to work very hard to beat us at all. 

There were moments of play that were good. We actually defended alright from open play in stages and, going forward at least, I was impressed with both Joe McKee and Sam Muir. Conner Duthie, again, did pretty well too - and I was pleased to see him getting another goal. 

But we have a self-implosion in us every single week. Today it was Sam. Last week it was Paddy. Before that it was Bucky. We get ourselves into a good position and then we gift our opponents a way back into the game. Our game management is dreadful. Look at how Peterhead played after going ahead. They didn't give us a sniff of goal, defended their box well, looked a threat on the break and dominated the midfield. Why can't we do that? 

Confidence is clearly at somewhere so far south of rock bottom it's coming into contact with the centre of the earth. And only winning games can sort that. But it's difficult to win games when you have no confidence. And difficult to have confidence when you can't win games. 

Merry Christmas everyone...

It's reached the point where I'm not even watching a game as it goes on right in front of me. I was chatting to one of my mates about two guys in the stand who were having a go at each other last week when the penalty was awarded and we completely missed it. I looked at the pitch and the Peterhead player was getting ready to take it. And then when Geggan scored early in the second half, we almost immediately started having a conversation about when the last time we let a lead slip three times in one match and totally missed that it had been disallowed. We didn't even realise that Peterhead hadn't taken centre. If I hadn't looked at twitter, then we'd have been walking up Castle Road thinking we'd drawn.

51 minutes ago, microdave said:

. And then when Geggan scored early in the second half, we almost immediately started having a conversation about when the last time we let a lead slip three times in one match and totally missed that it had been disallowed. We didn't even realise that Peterhead hadn't taken centre. If I hadn't looked at twitter, then we'd have been walking up Castle Road thinking we'd drawn.

Gerry McNee found.

3 hours ago, squeezebox-son said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again... our worst signing of the summer was re-signing Ramsbottom. He is absolutely dreadful and shouldn't be anywhere near this level as a first choice. The fact we have absolutely no competition for him is a farce as well.

The rest of the team do us no favours either. The experienced guys do anything but lead by example.

Not good enough.

I'll see your Sheeps Arse and raise you Boyle, Geggen and Syvertsen.

1 hour ago, strichener said:

From sitting one place above the relegation play-off to one place below the promotion play-off.  Is there anything that can stop the Peterhead juggernaut?  (Other than Montrose on Wednesday)

Who knows which direction we are headed could be either way. Think we still need a dominant defender to organize the defence and keep them switched on, free header for their first today & not sure if the 2nd could have been better dealt with. Was amazed the game went the full distance but to give our guys their due they kept going and the heads did not go down when going behind. Just happened to hear the players shouting and heading back to the centre was the only reason we knew we had scored the third. Would have liked 6 or 7 points from the 3 games from the teams around us but was a big result today.

55 minutes ago, NilNil said:

Can’t get fit. Or won’t get fit. Big difference there and I’m far from convinced.

I would assume and I might be wrong here that there is a clause in the contract that says the player is responsible for getting/maintaining fitness. I know we don’t have a lot of money but if a player is injured I would expect the club doc and physio to review his condition and say we expect he will be back in x time and if he is just being a lazy sod then the manager would know.

2 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

I'll see your Sheeps Arse and raise you Boyle, Geggen and Syvertsen.

There's no doubting they have been bad signing but even combined they have cost us less goals than Ramsbottom, so I don't consider that a raise at all.

Boyle shouldn't play for a team at this level ever again. Geggan is fine as a squad player and has even chipped in a couple of goals at the correct end of the park and Syvertson has done nothing of course.

On 19/12/2021 at 00:12, squeezebox-son said:

There's no doubting they have been bad signing but even combined they have cost us less goals than Ramsbottom, so I don't consider that a raise at all.

Boyle shouldn't play for a team at this level ever again. Geggan is fine as a squad player and has even chipped in a couple of goals at the correct end of the park and Syvertson has done nothing of course.

I cant make my mind up if Ramsbottom actually puts himself in shite positions to make saves look good for the camera, or if he is just shite.

1 minute ago, Thommo90 said:

I cant make my mind up if Ramsbottom actually puts himself in shite positions to make saves look good for the camera, or if he is just shite.

This is the example I always go back to.  Cant mind who it was against.  Ball crossed from their right to the back post for a free header, which was poorly done and looped the goalie.  If he didn't position himself OUTSIDE of the post then its a easy catch my 2 year old would make.

Screenshot_20211220-011153_WhatsApp.jpg

7 hours ago, Thommo90 said:

This is the example I always go back to.  Cant mind who it was against.  Ball crossed from their right to the back post for a free header, which was poorly done and looped the goalie.  If he didn't position himself OUTSIDE of the post then its a easy catch my 2 year old would make.

Screenshot_20211220-011153_WhatsApp.jpg

Yeah, I just genuinely think he isn't very good. I think he just very rarely actually looks like a goalkeeper. There were a few other occasions on Satueday alone where he should have been off his line much quicker to collect something simple, or he runs out to nowhere and gets nothing on the ball. Someone who is a reasonably competent 'keeper does those things routinely and we aren't put under pressure so much. 

28 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

Yeah, I just genuinely think he isn't very good. I think he just very rarely actually looks like a goalkeeper. There were a few other occasions on Satueday alone where he should have been off his line much quicker to collect something simple, or he runs out to nowhere and gets nothing on the ball. Someone who is a reasonably competent 'keeper does those things routinely and we aren't put under pressure so much. 

He is a classic case of a decent shot-stopper whose spatial awareness, decision-making and kicking from ground are all sub-standard.  That is a worrying combination as there is normally a mistake or two in every game, and we've seen the evidence.

Also, the position of keeper is fairly unique in that they determine the confidence levels in the defence - I don't think we've looked settled all season.

Ramsbottom’s shot stopping is actually pretty impressive. Unfortunately his decision making is really bad, he’s dodgy with the ball at his feet, he’s terrible coming off his line to sweep and more than any other keeper I’ve ever seen before he’s got this habit of being caught way to near his near post when defending a cross.

Also he appears to have an extremely OCD goal kick routine - sometimes it seems like he’s time wasting even when we’re losing.