The Inverness v Hamilton, 18th December

Firstly fair play to Hamilton, but f**k me how many times are we going to do a goal up and think that’s the game done? As already mentioned.

First half was just pish all round. I thought we started the second half really well, created a fair few chances or half chances and thought the opening goal was well deserved. Same old story afterward though. We seem to sit back and think the game is over.

I thought after the result at Morton, however shite they are, that it had finally clicked that we can’t sit on a one goal lead anymore as it will come back to bite us but apparently not.

No disrespect to Hamilton but when you are 1-0 up sitting top of the league against a team who seem to be in a relegation battle you just can’t lose that sort of game if you want to win the league

I don’t want to come across all caleyshaun, but it really is infuriating how often this keeps happening. We have a good squad of players and even now in December I’m still not sure if it’s the players that are getting the results despite Dodds. He can clearly set the team up well, but I think that is fairly obvious how but there just seems to be no plan B.

11 hours ago, PB1994 said:

I don’t want to come across all caleyshaun, but it really is infuriating how often this keeps happening. We have a good squad of players and even now in December I’m still not sure if it’s the players that are getting the results despite Dodds. He can clearly set the team up well, but I think that is fairly obvious how but there just seems to be no plan B.

I've been thinking that a bit as well lately.  You can't criticise him too much given where we are in the league and as long as we stay in the top four I'll be relatively happy but I have wondered if Dodds has been carried by his squad to some degree.  After we scored yesterday and after the Sutherland miss, we just went back and back and back.  Defending corners we were acting like it was the last minute of the game with Billy Mckay hanging just outside the box as our furthest player forward.  When Accies went ahead we saw a lot of naivety on Dodds' part creep in.  Those last five mins were pure Football Manager-esque desperation.  We ended the game playing 4-1-1-4, with Sutherland playing as the second '1' as a number ten.  Unsurprisingly we barely kept the ball after that point.

I wonder if the time has come for a fundamental change of formation.  Is 5-3-2 an option?  Deas has done reasonably well at left back but he doesn't offer much in the final third.  Harper was excellent when he came on.  Walsh doesn't seem to do a lot now, while Doran blows hot and cold.  We're pretty set now on Sutherland and Mckay as the front two, while a proper midfield three could allow us to bring MacGregor back in as well as allowing Carson to bomb forward.

Edited by Highland Capital

9 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

I've been thinking that a bit as well lately.  You can't criticise him too much given where we are in the league and as long as we stay in the top four I'll be relatively happy but I have wondered if Dodds has been carried by his squad to some degree.  After we scored yesterday and after the Sutherland miss, we just went back and back and back.  Defending corners we were acting like it was the last minute of the game with Billy Mckay hanging just outside the box as our furthest player forward.  When Accies went ahead we saw a lot of naivety on Dodds' part creep in.  Those last five mins were pure Football Manager-esque desperation.  We ended the game playing 4-1-1-4, with Sutherland playing as the second '1' as a number ten.  Unsurprisingly we barely kept the ball after that point.

I wonder if the time has come for a fundamental change of formation.  Is 5-3-2 an option?  Deas has done reasonably well at left back but he doesn't offer much in the final third.  Harper was excellent when he came on.  Walsh doesn't seem to do a lot now, while Doran blows hot and cold.  We're pretty set now on Sutherland and Mckay as the front two, while a proper midfield three could allow us to bring MacGregor back in as well as allowing Carson to bomb forward.

You may be over thinking.

The team, led by Mark Ridgers, lost their focus and turned what started as a turgid, then for a period of time, an insistent superiority, into an all too predicable denouement.

Well played Accies for their positivity and well deserved win.

1 hour ago, AYRSHIRE_ANGUS said:

A bad result for us but absolute scenes for the winner (from 6:30). A bit too much bum cleavage for my liking and there was no need for him to try humping his players 🤣 

A top bloke who goes to every game. Legend 👍