Cove vs Alloa 18.12.2021

1 hour ago, RolandPie said:

2 points above relegation zone - with an, on paper, fairly decent squad.Β 

The vast majority of the decent squad alluded to are players from last season. Him and his signings (odd exception or two) are an embarressment.

He has already lost the players, that happened months ago, hence the position we are in!

A freezing foggy Balmoral, i swear it was clear skies and a bit warmer a couple of miles inland whilst travelling to the ground.

Didn't think there was much between the sides in first half until Masson scored a curling shot into the top corner from outside the box. After that, and going into the second half I expected a bit more fight and pressure from the Wasps but it didn't materialize and Cove looked more likely to add to their tally which is how it panned out.

First half Sena especially was finding space, Boyd looked lively on the left and capable of creating something.Β 

Felt Henderson was quite isolated at times and wasn't able to use his pace effectively. He could be done with a supporting striker to play off of. Not sure that's Sammon although at least does pose an aerial threat and gives an outball.

For me, Alloa are better than their league place suggests and should be looking up not down. Replacing BF with someone who can motivate and inspire the team might be needed sooner rather than later.

As for Cove, I thought we improved when Vigurs went off to be honest. Blair was outstanding in CM with some great turns and forward runs. Fyvie did well alongside him.

Mitch's finish was top notch. Today was our 6th consecutive league clean sheet to go with 5 straight wins.

* Even at 2-0 down, from the sidelines, I could hear Andy Graham organising the players around him, being vocal and telling the younger lads we're still in this. Consummate professional & leader.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

Just on my tactical view of the game - we started well as Cove were really narrow - Allowing our full backs to sit highter. As soon as Vigurs went off McIntosh got joy as a winger coming in from the touchline. I didn't think Taggs had a great game today. Another cliche for the commentary but when he doesn't play well going forward we don't tend to make much.

Henderson was doing the Harry Kane - come short to get the ball and be involved but there wasn't enough positive 1-2 passes ala Andy Graham's odyssey to the byline - I think there's a real necessity to support the lone striker especially when like Henderson he's going to struggle aerially and we don't really do it enough.

Sammon was interesting coming off the bench. He's much better at the unselfish run to make space that Henderson's doesn't really have in his locker yet. If you could genetically splice Hendo and Sammo into one player that would be interesting.

8 hours ago, OldCrabbitWasp said:

Bottom line - we were a shadow of the Alloa teams from the last 5-10 seasons. Question is .... Do the board see the same as the paying punter??

Does the board see anything other than £££££ from the Cup gain against the only true member fit to lable themselves Old Firm

Edited by laughing gravie

37 minutes ago, Brummo said:

I thought the coverage of the Montrose v QP game was bad but this one really needs to be played using a ball with a bell in it!

Unfortunate not to get the game called off. I had a bit of hope in the second half when it worsened but then it improved. Still an awful night for football.Β