**The Official P&B Christmas 2021 Thread**

4 hours ago, BFTD said:

I always assumed that was the reading of that song. Problem is, there are apparently men who would read it as coercion and think that's OK. It appears there are a lot of them out there, and they don't need support.

Quite like the version Tom Jones and the Catatonia lassie (whose name I always remember as Nerys Hughes) did, but no doubt someone will link to the "fixed" version that some roasters released a few years ago. Just dreadful.

Nerys Hughes was Half Man Half Biscuit, 

13 hours ago, velo army said:

I read an interesting argument against this particular reading of the song

The argument is that this isn't a song about a woman staying against her will. Back then it was inconceivable and unforgivable for women to want sex and to say an absolute yes to it. It made her wanton, a tramp and a slut. The song is about a woman who wants to say yes, but needs to find an excuse to stay that doesn't involve her having to confessing to wanting it. They end up singing gleefully in harmony by the end of it as they have mutually found the perfect excuse for her to stay.

So this says that it's less about coercion and more about empowerment against the patriarchal society that denies a woman a right to sexual agency.

That's fair enough - just a few lines really stuck out to me as a bit off.

Say what's in this drink?
No cabs to be had out there
I wish I knew how
Your eyes are like starlight now
To break this spell

So he's slipped here rohypnol or something at this stage. 

Ah, you're very pushy you know?
I like to think of it as opportunistic

M'lord, I can indeed take no for an answer. I was just being opportunistic. The defence rests.

It's Christmas Eve!

What traditions to P&Bers have for the night before Christmas?  A trip to the pub?  Any special Christmas films you always watch?

What do P&Bers leave out for Santa - we go with a glass of milk and a mince pie, with some carrots for the reindeer.  We went specially to Aldi to buy the carrots, as while I do want the reindeer fed, we are'nt made of bloody money.

It's Christmas Eve!
What traditions to P&Bers have for the night before Christmas?  A trip to the pub?  Any special Christmas films you always watch?
What do P&Bers leave out for Santa - we go with a glass of milk and a mince pie, with some carrots for the reindeer.  We went specially to Aldi to buy the carrots, as while I do want the reindeer fed, we are'nt made of bloody money.

Before meeting my fiancé, I used to go to the pub and stumble back to my parents. However now it’s a Chinese, Christmas movies and a few beers.

I miss the pub.
However, this year we’re going German and opening gifts on Christmas Eve as she’ll be working Christmas Day and Boxing Day, including night shifts until the morning of the 27th.

I would prefer to be in my own house but for the last four years we have went to my gf’s aunt’s house for a Chinese. We all order something and then everyone else gets a shot at yours, meaning my chicken chow mein will be getting blasted into by someone who has ordered a mushroom foo yung and I’m expected to be happy at getting a tiny bit of the thing I ordered.

Seething, was hoping that Sturgeon’s announcement would have had it in the bin, sadly not.

1 minute ago, Adam said:

I would prefer to be in my own house but for the last four years we have went to my gf’s aunt’s house for a Chinese. We all order something and then everyone else gets a shot at yours, meaning my chicken chow mein will be getting blasted into by someone who has ordered a mushroom foo yung and I’m expected to be happy at getting a tiny bit of the thing I ordered.

Seething, was hoping that Sturgeon’s announcement would have had it in the bin, sadly not.

What an appalling tradition.  If you could pass on to your girlfriends aunt and her family that they are a bunch of depraved maniacs I'd appreciate it.

What an appalling tradition.  If you could pass on to your girlfriends aunt and her family that they are a bunch of depraved maniacs I'd appreciate it.

She also serves tepid cans of juice that are just sat out in her living room, just a terrible state of affairs really.

Before meeting my fiancé, I used to go to the pub and stumble back to my parents. However now it’s a Chinese, Christmas movies and a few beers.

I miss the pub.
However, this year we’re going German and opening gifts on Christmas Eve as she’ll be working Christmas Day and Boxing Day, including night shifts until the morning of the 27th.

Apologies if I've missed this, but is your partner female?

I’m genuinely not sure if I’m being whooshed here but yes.

She's your fiancée then bud, not your fiancé. I wasn't aware this was a thing until I bought mine an Xmas card a few.years back with fiancé on it and was duly ripped for doing so.

You're welcome!

She's your fiancée then bud, not your fiancé. I wasn't aware this was a thing until I bought mine an Xmas card a few.years back with fiancé on it and was duly ripped for doing so.

You're welcome!
Had this as well, thankfully the woman on the till in the card shop alerted me to my mistake.

Sounds fucking awful.

Bet your hoping for a positive lateral flow the day.

We are in the Christmas purgatory, where kids are all up, no grandkids on the horizon and frankly it’s all a little bit pointless. Thankfully gift shopping is vastly reduced and I still enjoy cooking our roast dinner.

Downside is cleaning up after hungover kids and the Xmas night visit to the other half’s family is something I hate. Much prefer peace and quiet at home but her whole family, despite seeing and/or speaking to each other daily, act like they’ve only just met and it’s far too loud, some of her relatives talk some shite and I only really start enjoying myself again on Boxing Day; football and a few beers make the day usually.

1 hour ago, Adam said:

She also serves tepid cans of juice that are just sat out in her living room, just a terrible state of affairs really.

Does your girlfriend enjoy this tradition or is she coerced by her folks to go? Sounds a thoroughly miserable night tbh and I’d o making plans to go for a meal with your partner; set an example and break this annual event with her aunt.