**The Official P&B Christmas 2021 Thread**

6 hours ago, Lofarl said:

Christmas is a time for children.  And who loves children more than this guy.

Also if you hear this while out shopping it’s a clear sign that they have a right old cd.

Christmas hasn't been the same since GG was cancelled. I was at quite a few. There's probably people with less happy memories to be fair, but I wasn't in Gary's target demographic.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

I am looking forward to Christmas. 

More accurately, time off work (3 weeks), eating and drinking far too much, spending time with Mum, remembering Dad (we lost him christmas eve 2015), watching sport on tv, drinking some more, getting together with some mates for a festive curry and just being sat with my feet up doing the grand total of f**k all.

Was considering heading to The Walks on Boxing Day for the match but it turns out we're visiting the in-laws now and do you know what? I actually don't mind. I'll get to a game soon enough. 

Just enjoy it people. In whatever way you enjoy it. 

Oh and loving the Shakey but for me, The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl shades it. 

Christmas totals to date:

Presents wrapped 0

Mince pies eaten 5

Christmas movies watched 4

(Home Alone 1 & 2, The Grinch, Trading Places)

Christmas with the Kranks and National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation are next on the list.

Having to work on Boxing Day for the first time in around 20yrs, which isn't ideal, so just the daughter and MIL visiting ours for dinner. 

Festive family gathering in Edinburgh this Saturday though, including some folks from down south that we haven't seen in ages, so looking forward to that. Remaining festive merriment will then be on hold until Hogmanay, when I shall be getting right royally blootered.

Wherever you are, and whatever you do, the very best to one and all.

A little detour into folk working at Christmas - what's the feeling? 

When I was in my teems I worked in a pub and worked right through the festive period. Quite enjoyed it. Also worked in shops that meant working on Christmas Eve and again on Boxing Day. Nowadays I stop working a few days before Christmas and start back up again after New Year.  Not sure how I would feel about working on Christmas Day (or even Christmas Eve) nowadays.

My dad was a policeman. Every year he had to work either Christmas or New Year. Generally officers with little kids were given the Christmas off. When I turned about 12 or so he started working the Christmases and getting the New Years off. 

7 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Used to happily volunteer to do it when I was based at Leuchars. It saved 7 days leave for use at a better time and unless the hooter went, it was a pretty chilled seven days sat drinking tea and watching sport on tv. 

If I was in a similar role these days, I'd likely volunteer again. As it is I'm not and I've three weeks off. Which is nice :) 

7 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I'm trying to make tenuous connections to enable us to classify films as Christmas movies.

Goodfellas is a Christmas movie - features Darlene Love song and Henry buys the biggest tree they had.

Eastern Promises is a Christmas movie - they have a nice Russian dinner for Christmas then go out drinking in a Kurdish place.

Looking forward to introducing my three year old to both over this festive period!

Deep Throat is a Christmas movie. Loads of the white stuff chucked about all over the place, and Linda Lovelace is visibly covered in bruises from being battered by her husband, symbolising the traditional increase in domestic violence at this time of year.

When I was in my teems I worked in a pub and worked right through the festive period. Quite enjoyed it. Also worked in shops that meant working on Christmas Eve and again on Boxing Day. Nowadays I stop working a few days before Christmas and start back up again after New Year.  Not sure how I would feel about working on Christmas Day (or even Christmas Eve) nowadays.
My dad was a policeman. Every year he had to work either Christmas or New Year. Generally officers with little kids were given the Christmas off. When I turned about 12 or so he started working the Christmases and getting the New Years off. 

I have to work either a Christmas Day or New Year’s Day for 4 hours. However it’s names out the hat and if selected your exempt for 2 years.

I’ve only been picked once and it was New Year’s Day 4-8. It was not fun.

I worked in call centres on New year's Day, in for 6am but I can't be arsed with new year so no big deal.

Working Christmas eve and hogmanay this year, unless the hospitality industry gets binned before then.

I make half an effort for my kids but I'm not all that bothered.

Just me and the wife on Xmas day. She's got me a sub beer machine, so a couple of kegs shall be chilled on Xmas eve. Up at whenever we can be arsed on Xmas day, croissants and prosseco for breakfast,  presents opened, watch a bit of telly, lunch then down to bowling club for pints.

I've tried a few festive foods over the last couple of weeks. The Greggs Festive Bake and M&S's Turkey Feast sandwich were not for me, but I did enjoy a brie and cranberry sandwich and my first ever mince pie as well as a world class vegan stuffing baguette (I don't know what was in it either) from a cafe occupied by Roy Hodgson.

I've tried a few festive foods over the last couple of weeks. The Greggs Festive Bake and M&S's Turkey Feast sandwich were not for me, but I did enjoy a brie and cranberry sandwich and my first ever mince pie as well as a world class vegan stuffing baguette (I don't know what was in it either) from a cafe occupied by Roy Hodgson.
What was Roy protesting against ?

Watched Nativity last night. Not as good as 2. The correct ranking of the series from worst to best is:
3- flashmobs? Utter shit
4- Nativity rocks. Rocks like Cliff Richards or Busted rock. 
1- Martin Freeman stalks ex girlfriend who takes him back as her self esteem has been crushed by her own career failure. Heartwarming. 
2-evil twin is great and i still haven't worked out how the donkey got off the cliff. They abduct a baby. 

Trying to convince the mrs that the kids can watch gremlins (i think it's a 15 and they're 9 and 11) but they'll have to wait another couple of years for Die Hard. 
I've not see it for a few years but I'm sure Gremlins has some chat dispelling the Santa fantasy so I suppose it depends on your 9 and 11 year olds' views on the guy in the red suit.

We watched 8 Bit Christmas last night which was good fun. All about some kids trying to get a Nintendo for Christmas when they'd just come out.

25 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I've not see it for a few years but I'm sure Gremlins has some chat dispelling the Santa fantasy so I suppose it depends on your 9 and 11 year olds' views on the guy in the red suit.

We watched 8 Bit Christmas last night which was good fun. All about some kids trying to get a Nintendo for Christmas when they'd just come out.

Thanks for the heads up on Gremlins. At mutual pretence stage, so best avoided. 

I will likely spen almost all of Christmas Day on my own, apart from a 2 hour opening presents thing at my oldest stepdaughter’s.

They all go to grandma’s for dinner (my ex MIL) and since she hates me I’m not invited.

Happy Birthday/Merry Christmas me [emoji849]