The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2022

Week 33 update

Two deaths this week, two from the past. Up first, Australian musical sensation Archie Roach: Archie Roach obituary | Australian music | The Guardian

Archie Roach, who has died aged 66, was an Indigenous Australian singer-songwriter, guitarist and writer, whose most famous song, Took the Children Away, described his own painful life story – and in the process helped to educate Australians about one of the darkest chapters in their history. It won him two Aria awards (Australia’s equivalent of a Grammy) and an International Human Rights Achievement award, and established him as one of Australia’s most distinctive and celebrated performers, who would tour alongside Bob Dylan, Billy Bragg and Patti Smith.

He was one of the stolen generations of Aboriginal children who were forcibly removed from their families by government agencies for almost a hundred years, under protection era laws and policies. Aboriginal children were placed in homes and orphanages, or brought up by white foster families. The aim was that they should be assimilated into the white community, reject their heritage and language, and adopt white culture instead. Through his songs and later his powerful 2019 memoir Tell Me Why, Roach revealed the suffering that these policies inflicted on Aboriginal families for generations.

Born in Mooroopna, north Victoria, and brought up in Framlingham mission near Warrnambool, in south-west Victoria, he was taken from his parents, Nellie Austin and Archie Roach Sr, at the age of “three or four”, along with his two sisters, and raised in Melbourne by a white family, Alex and Dulcie Cox, who had moved to Australia from Scotland. They were told that his parents had died in a house fire and were, he said, “blameless, as far as I’m concerned. They were used.”

Growing up as a member of the Cox family, Roach listened to his foster father’s record collection, which included albums by the Ink Spots, Nat King Cole and Mahalia Jackson. He went to church, and here he heard a woman playing a Hank Williams song on the guitar. Roach decided that he too would become a guitarist.

Roach died at 66 so he's worth 59 Base Points for @Arabdownunder with a Solo Shot bonus taking that to 109.

=============

Up second, Mexican president Luis Echeverria: Luis Echeverría obituary | Mexico | The Guardian

The former Mexican president Luis Echeverría, who has died aged 100, positioned himself at the beginning of his tenure, in 1970, as a left-leaning maverick promising reconciliation and reform in a country reeling from the army’s massacre in Tlatelolco of hundreds of students in 1968, but exited six years later with an ignominious devaluation, and a legacy of hundreds of people “disappeared” in a dirty war against guerrillas and dissidents.

The murderous storm that had descended at Tlatelolco – in which, as interior minister, Echeverría was complicit – would hang over his term. He fostered an image that was tolerant of pluralism, but the 1971 Corpus Christi massacre – a bloody replay of 1968 – determined within what limits.

Echeverría’s succession reflected an awareness among the bosses of the ruling Institutional Revolutionary party (PRI) of the nature of the crisis they faced and of the need for reform. An austere, non-smoking teetotaller, Echeverría embodied a new type of leadership. Yet his career up to then within the federal bureaucracy and the PRI meant he took to the presidency his bureaucratic baggage: interventionist, obsessed with detail and hungry for control.

Sounds like a complicated life. He died at 100 so he's worth 25 points to @Arabdownunder with another Solo Shot bonus taking that to 75.

=============

Up next this week was Dundee's league winning goalkeeper Pat Liney: Dundee legendary goalkeeper Pat Liney dies aged 86 - BBC Sport

The link on Dundee's website is much better: Pat Liney | 1936-2022 - Dundee Football Club - Official Website (dundeefc.co.uk)

I'm not going to quote that because it's worth clicking and reading the whole thing, whether you know anything about him or not. I did enjoy this part however:

In game 17 of that unbeaten run on January 20th 1962, Pat displayed his knowledge of the game during a 2-1 win over Third Lanark at Dens. Thirds were awarded an indirect free kick at the TC Keay end of the ground and when one of their players fired the ball past the defensive wall and into the net without anyone touching it, Pat nonchalantly picked the ball out of the net and placed it down for a goal kick. 

The majority of the 17,500 inside the ground were confused as they assumed it was a goal but Pat knew it was a free kick and tried to rally and focus his team mates to get ready for his kick. 

This sounds hilarious and is the sort of thing that should happen more often. Liney died at 86 so he's worth 39 points for @chomp my root with a Solo Shot taking that to 89 points.

=============

The final death this week is Australian singing sensation Olivia Newton-John: Dame Olivia Newton-John obituary | Musicals | The Guardian

The singer and actor Olivia Newton-John, who has died aged 73 after suffering from cancer, had a ready riposte for anyone who called her “Miss Goody Two-Shoes from Australia”. Despite her Melbourne accent, she had been born in the UK, in Cambridge, and therefore – as she informed a US television audience in 1980 – she was technically “Miss Goody Two-Shoes from England”.

Either way, the quip was not far off the truth. Through a career that included 100m album sales and a starring role in Grease (1978), one of the most successful musicals in film history, she was the entertainer least likely to court controversy. Though she had passionate views, most notably on the environment and cancer research, she rarely expressed strong opinions on other subjects or engaged with negative criticism.

During the early 1970s in particular, she was one of the few young stars who were more popular with parents than with their children. She was once described by Rolling Stone magazine as “a sweet, innocent, 70s version of Doris Day”. However, in the late 70s, after a decade of soft-pop hits, she orchestrated one of the music industry’s most unexpected makeovers.

Her winsome denim wardrobe was replaced with black leather, and breezy album sleeves (often shot in meadows, playing up her girl-next-door freshness) with dark-toned, come-hither shots. The reinvention was mightily helped along by her performance as Sandy, the good-girl-gone-baddish in Grease, and the pot was stirred further by the 1981 hit Physical (“I want to get physical ... Let me hear your body talk,” it implored). Meanwhile, her wanton screen chemistry with her Grease co-star John Travolta was exploited to produce two No 1 singles, Summer Nights and You’re the One That I Want.

I'll say two things about her. I didn't realise she'd first been diagnosed with cancer 30 years ago. She did well. 

When I was in primary school, each year the P7 class put on a performance at the end of the year. Somehow, someone watched Grease and came up with the idea of performing songs from that. Every year since I've done the Dead Pool and people have picked her I've been transported back to being 12 years old, in a leather jacket and slicked back hair singing You're The One That I Want. I don't think I've seen the film since then. 

Newton-John died at 73 so she's worth 52 Base Points for @ayrunitedfw, @Cardinal Richelieu, @djchapsticks, @Enigma, @get_the_subbies_on, @gkneil, @Les Cabbage, @Lex, @lichtgilphead, @Lofarl, @mathematics, @Ned Nederlander, @psv_killie, @Raidernation, @RossBFaeDundee, @Savage Henry, @senorsoupe and @weirdcal.

There's also a Vice-Captain bonus for @microdave for 78 points.

There's also a Captain's bonus for @jimbaxters for 104 points. 

After all of this, the standings look like this:

1. Bishop Briggs 586
2. Indale Winton 530
3. chompmyroot 492
4. JustOneCornetto 431
5. Ned Nederlands 423
6. Billy Jean King 382
7. sparky88, weirdcal 372
9. Arch Stanton 358
10. Sweaty Morph 342
11. Savage Henry 338
12. gkneil 323
13. mathematics 321
14. psv_killie 294
15. Moomintroll 293
16. peasy23 259
17. Arbroathlegend36-0 255
18 The Master 244
19. microdave 228
20. The DA 204
21. scottsdad 199
22. jimbaxters 196
23. Desp 188
24. pawpar 187
25. Arabdownunder 184
26. The_Craig 178
27. Raidernation 174
28. Florentine_Pogen 173
29. tamthebam 169
30. thistledo 167
31. Melanius Mullarkey 163
32. senorsoupe, thisal 160
33. Blootoon87 151
34. gingette 150
35. buddiepaul 146
36. lichtgilphead 144

37. cdhafc1874 130
38. Lofarl 127
39. pub car king 122
40. nessies long lost ghost, The Naitch 113
42. Miguel Sanchez 105

43. Bully Wee Villa 104
44. sleazy 92
45. scorge 85
46. ayrunitedfw, Les Cabbage 82
48. Mark Connolly 75
49. The Hologram 73
50. ThomCat 69
51. Hamish's Passenger 61
52. Fuctifano, Willie adie 57
54. Cardinal Richelieu, djchapsticks, Enigma, get_the_subbies_on, Lex, RossBFaeDundee 52
60. Ray Patterson 47
61. Bert Raccoon, speckled tangerine, statts1976uk 39
64. cambozpar, Karpaty Lviv 30

66. Everyone else 0

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mup1IJllKHs0a47J8G6IXUkvShJrV28Iuc-Kkn7RKuo/edit?usp=sharing

1 hour ago, Ned Nederlander said:

O Captain my Captain.

I was worried I might strike out this year.

Also thoughts and prayers, no age at all, horrible way to go, etc.