The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2022

Week 17 update

Two deaths this week. Up first, former hockey player Guy Lafleur: Hockey Hall of Famer Guy Lafleur dies at 70 following cancer battle: Justin Trudeau leads tributes | Daily Mail Online

And now a more relevant memorial:

What's surprised me the most - not knowing that much about him or that period of the NHL - is the sheer volume of people who've had things to say about him. He was French and played for the French team and had great hair and scored a lot of goals during a significant period in hockey history so he was obviously going to be popular, but just about every testament to him has mentioned how nice a person he was. Even though he was the most famous and popular person in the league I've seen many posts online about how someone met him and he was just nice, a normal guy who didn't act like a star. The same goes for post-retirement too.

In terms of quantifying how good he is I can't really assess his ability. The good players in the 80s and before all looked like a time machine put them on the ice just because they can skate and shoot. If you just want pure stats, they work too. Lafleur played on the most successful team in NHL history until 1985. He has the second most goals for them, the most assists, and the most points. There are lots of related videos to the above on YouTube so if you fancy spending some time learning about someone who was just good, enjoy your Sunday.

He also famously smoked in between periods and died of lung cancer, so also bear that in mind.

Lafleur was 70 when he died so he's worth 55 Base Points. He was a Solo Shot for, er, me, so it's a total of 105 points.

============

Up second this week was a death I missed from a few weeks ago, children's television person Chelsie Whibley: Chelsie Whibley death: CBBC star dies from cystic fibrosis, aged 30 | The Independent

Not much to go on from a paywalled site but she was 30, she was recently married and was told her condition would kill her by 16. A shite state of affairs all round, really.

Whibley died at 30 so she's worth 95 Base Points for @Indale Winton, @Melanius Mullarkay and @sparky88.

As a result, the standings look like this:

1. Bishop Briggs 458
2. Indale Winton 445
3. JustOneCornetto 431
4. chomp my root 403
5. sparky88 314
6. Ned Nederlander 313
7. Arch Stanton 302
8. gkneil 271
9. peasy23, weirdcal 259
11. Arbroathlegend36-0 255
12. psv_killie 242
13. Savage Henry 196
14. Desp 188
15. pawpar, Sweaty Morph 187
17. Mathematics, The Master 184
19. thistledo 167
20. Blootoon87 151
21. gingette, microdave 150

23. The_Craig, The DA 144
25. scottsdad 138
26. cdhafc1874 130
27. Moomintroll 123
28. pub car king 122
29. nessies long lost ghost, The Naitch 113
31. Miguel Sanchez 105

32. Bully Wee Villa 104
33. Melanius Mullarkay 95
34. jimbaxters, lichtgilphead, sleazy 92
37. Florentine_Pogen 85
38. Billy Jean King, Lofarl, Mark Connolly 75
41. ThomCat 69
42. Hamish's Passenger 61
43. Fuctifano, Willie adie 57
45. senorsoupe 50
46. Raidernation 46
47. Bert Raccoon, speckled tangerine, statts1976uk 39
50. ayrunitedfw, buddiepaul, cambozpar, Karpaty Lviv, Les Cabbage 30

55. Everyone else 0

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mup1IJllKHs0a47J8G6IXUkvShJrV28Iuc-Kkn7RKuo/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by Miguel Sanchez

The world's oldest person (and second oldest person ever), Kane Tanaka, has died, at the age of 119; nobody went for a World's Oldest Person pick this year, so that's a whole 6 (or 56) points wasted.

If you fancy a 6-point punt next year, the current oldest is the apparently indestructible Lucile Randon who's 118, and who shrugged off a mass COVID outbreak in her nursing home last year with no symptoms at all.

On 22/04/2022 at 01:28, carpetmonster said:

Pour one out for Cynthia. Into a mould, probably. 

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/apr/25/cynthia-plaster-caster-the-artist-whose-rock-star-penis-sculptures-asked-big-questions-about-manhood

"She’s like the Michelangelo of sex, drugs and rock’n’roll,” Pamela Des Barres once said of her friend and peer in penis admiration, Cynthia Albritton. Better known as Cynthia Plaster Caster, the 74-year-old artist died last week after battling a long illness. She was one of the last living “supergroupies” of the 60s and 70s US music scene, who built a reputation on their famous bonks and tell-all tales. But Albritton went a step further, casting the privates of the musicians she admired and flipping the notion of woman as muse. “She’s the most notorious groupie of all of them because of her art form,” said Des Barres."

Edited by Florentine_Pogen

5 hours ago, Aim Here said:

The world's oldest person (and second oldest person ever), Kane Tanaka, has died, at the age of 119; nobody went for a World's Oldest Person pick this year, so that's a whole 6 (or 56) points wasted.

If you fancy a 6-point punt next year, the current oldest is the apparently indestructible Lucile Randon who's 118, and who shrugged off a mass COVID outbreak in her nursing home last year with no symptoms at all.

She Kane take it anymore.

Earth, Wind and Fire were an answer in the pub quiz I did at the weekend and now their saxophonist Andrew Woolfolk  has snuffed it. Wool I be folked.... 

If there are any others who suffered the curse of being a quiz answer I'll let you know. 

9 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Earth, Wind and Fire were an answer in the pub quiz I did at the weekend and now their saxophonist Andrew Woolfolk  has snuffed it. Wool I be folked.... 

If there are any others who suffered the curse of being a quiz answer I'll let you know. 

'Got To Get Him Into A Shroud'..............................

8 hours ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Saw The Tubes at Edinburgh Odeon in 1979, pretty sure the support was Squeeze.

The Tubes 11763.jpg

if it's the same tour yes Squeeze did support. In Glasgow it was a Friday night, for some strange reason we played Aberdeen at home in what was just clearing up the fixtures. Buses were off due to I think a strike and after the game we got in a wee spat with some Dons before walking into the city centre, maybe 12 or so of us heading toward the Apollo. On the way we saw some bint in a hotel window getting done doggy style much to our general amusement and noise and we then got chased by the police. I was stopped and thrown in a police box but got let go when he saw I was a Thistle fan. Some comment like we have better things to do on a Friday night than deal with a bunch of kids. Then got to the Apollo in an attempt to sneak in but the bouncers were having none of it but a few punks not with us tried to get us to storm the doors with them. Fortunately we or I anyway saw sense and went to find a train home.

Funny what you remember when someone dies, thoughts and prayers and all that.