The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2022

2 hours ago, thistledo said:

Ah b*****d I had him in 2020, thought with the pandemic on the go, they were taking it easy on killing people. 

Meeting at CIA HQ.

"Should we send a few drones after that ISIS guy?

No, he hasn't been well, he's hardly been out the house, since New Year.

Aye, we'll just leave it a week or two. What about that Ukranian?

They're on our side sir.

Oh. Aye..."

Week 6 update

Another week, another triple update. First up, actor Leonard Fenton: Leonard Fenton: EastEnders actor who played Dr Legg dies aged 95 - BBC News

Actor Leonard Fenton, who played Dr Harold Legg in EastEnders, has died at the age of 95, his family have announced.

Fenton appeared in the first episode of EastEnders in February 1985 and his last scene came in 2019.

Fenton also worked in film and theatre, with his family noting that his "long stage career included time at the National Theatre and most recently the Royal Shakespeare Company".

"He felt privileged to have worked with some of the greats of the theatre, including Samuel Beckett, Orson Welles and Jonathan Miller," they added, noting how his passion for painting and singing were of equal importance to him.

Dr Legg was one of the original characters in the long-running BBC One soap, created by Tony Holland and Julia Smith, and he served as Walford's local GP until 1997.

He made sporadic appearances after that, with his character bowing out of the Walford soap in 2019 in emotional fashion, when he died of cancer.

The BBC piece also notes he was a bit of a shite doctor. Fenton died at 95 so he's worth 30 Base Points to @pawpar, who also gets 15 for a Vice-Captain bonus and 50 for a Solo Shot for a total of 95 points.

==========

Second death this week was actress Monica Vitti: Monica Vitti obituary | Film | The Guardian

Born Maria Luisa to Adele (nee Vittilia) and Angelo Ceciarelli, she later said that her childhood was unhappy, and, when her family emigrated to the US when she was 18, she stayed in Rome and enrolled at the Academy of Dramatic Art there. Her stage name came from her mother’s maiden name.

In the summer of her graduation in 1953 came her first theatrical engagement, in the chorus of a Greek tragedy. The first film in which she appeared was Ridere! Ridere! Ridere! (Laugh! Laugh! Laugh!, 1954). She had several small roles in films and plays before meeting Antonioni in a post-synchronisation studio in Rome, where she dubbed the actor Dorian Gray’s part in Il Grido (The Cry, 1957).

Antonioni was also directing a theatre company, and he cast her as Sally Bowles in John van Druten’s play I Am a Camera, for which she received good reviews, before embarking on his trilogy.

Throughout her film career and relationship with Di Palma, Antonioni and Vitti had remained close friends, and in 1980 he directed her for the last time in a TV film of Jean Cocteau’s play The Eagle Has Two Heads, which he called Il Mistero di Oberwald.

As Detournement said earlier - if you're into modernist Italian cinema, you've lost an icon. Vitti died at 90 so she's worth 35 Base Points for @JustOneCornetto and a Solo Shot for a total of 85.

==========

Going in a somewhat different direction, our last death this week is the terrorist Abu Ibrahim al-Hashimi al-Qurashi: Islamic State leader killed during raid by US special forces in Syria | Syria | The Guardian

Abu Ibrahim al-Hashimi al-Qurayshi, the leader of Islamic State and one of the world’s most wanted men, has been killed during an overnight raid by US special forces in north-west Syria.

The pre-dawn attack on a house in the village of Atme, just south of the Turkish border, led to up to 13 casualties, among them women and children. It also resulted in the destruction of a US helicopter, which had been used to carry special forces troops from Erbil in Iraq.

“Thanks to the bravery of our troops, this horrible terrorist leader is no more,” Joe Biden said in a television address from the White House. “Our forces carried out the operation with their signature preparation and precision.”

Thursday’s raid was the most significant by the US since Qurayshi’s predecessor Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi was killed in October 2019 in a village 9 miles (14.5km) south of Atme.

You'd hate to think how many civilian casualties there'd be without the US military's signature preparation and precision. 

A senior administration official said: “This is an operation that has been long in planning and from a tactical perspective, went precisely as expected.”

However, there was a significant discrepancy between the initial Pentagon report that eight children had been safely evacuated and two children were killed by the blast triggered by Qurayshi, and the accounts of first responders on the scene who say they found six children and four women dead.

“Some of the corpses in the area do not look like they died in an explosion. They look like they were hit by extremely heavy calibre gunfire,” Charles Lister, director of the Syria programme at the Middle East Institute in Washington, said. “And we do know, because I saw it in a video last night as it was happening, that at least one of the helicopters in the area fired its heavy machine guns at the building for over a minute straight.”

Pentagon spokesman John Kirby said that there were “strong, strong indications” that civilian deaths – those of Qurashi’s wife and their two children – were caused by the IS leader. But he said that the US would review the operation to determine whether American action resulted in any civilian deaths.

Oh.

The house’s landlord told local media that a man carrying a Syrian identification had rented the home from him 11 months ago and had arrived with a wife, three young children and a sister

Other locals said they had no idea one of the world’s most wanted terrorists lived among them. “We only ever saw his wife buying vegetables,” said Omar Halabi, 36. “I think I saw him once. He was quiet and humble.”

Lovely bloke! Kept himself to himself! In addition to that: ‘We are still shocked’: the Syrians who discovered Islamic State’s leader was their neighbour | Islamic State | The Guardian

Whenever I looked this guy up when someone picked him I was always taken by how cheerful he looked in his Wikipedia photo:

Hajji‘Abdallah.jpg

The account says he died at 45, so he's worth 80 Base Points, plus 30 for an Unnatural Causes bonus and as I'm in the process of typing this up I've just checked nobody actually picked him this year. I guess the lesson here is don't sleep on the leaders of the world's foremost terrorist organisations, they're always likely to blow themselves up. 

After all of that, the standings look like this:

1. Ned Nederlander 313
2. Arbroathlegend36-0 255
3. JustOneCornetto 228
4. Bishop Briggs 199
5. Indale Winton 183
6. Blootoon87 151

7. chomp my root, sparky88, The_Craig 144
10. Arch Stanton 135
11. cdhafc1874 130

12. gkneil, Savage Henry 104
14. pawpar, Sweaty Morph 95
16. Desp, senorsoupe 50
18. Bert Raccoon, speckled tangerine, statts1976uk, ThomCat 39
22. Hamish's Passenger, Moomintroll, The DA 31

25. Everyone else 0

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mup1IJllKHs0a47J8G6IXUkvShJrV28Iuc-Kkn7RKuo/edit?usp=sharing

2 hours ago, JustOneCornetto said:

Davie Cattenach at 75, played for Celtic and Falkirk.

Well known character in Falkirk area as he owned the Three Kings in Shieldhill, spoke to him a few times when I went to some of the tribute acts they used to have on.

IIRC he was the man on whom the Italians based their defensive football

9 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Comics artist Ian Kennedy at 89.

You'd have likely seen his work if you read Hotspur, Battle etc. He was pretty good at drawing planes and did the cover of the Leuchars Airshow programme for a few years 

According to Wiki he did over 1,600 Commando covers.