The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2022

4 hours ago, Aim Here said:

Time Machine star Yvette Mimieux died a week ago, but the the qualifying obituary at the time was in the Daily Mail so nobody noticed, I'm pleased to report. She's a solo shot for someone.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2022/jan/28/yvette-mimieux-obituary

I believe that to be me who has her as a solo shot. Nice to get points on the board nice and early.

Oh, and the usual condolences, etc.

Week 5 update

Three deaths this week. Up first is a slightly old one, the actress Yvette Mimieux: Yvette Mimieux obituary | Film | The Guardian

Midway through an acting career she abandoned early, out of frustrations with her casting, Yvette Mimieux, who has died aged 80, said the parts she was offered were usually “sex objects or vanilla pudding”. Her pale beauty was striking, but ethereal rather than fragile; qualities that led to the early roles that foreshadowed her entire career. “I suppose I have a soulful quality,” she said. “I was often cast as a wounded person, the sensitive soul.”

She was only 15 when the talent agent Jim Byron supposedly spotted her from his helicopter while she walked a horse in the Hollywood Hills; he landed and gave her his card. The other version of the story was more mundane: he spotted her auditioning for a bit part in Elvis Presley’s Jailhouse Rock. He generated publicity for her through beauty contests and modelling.

I've seen The Time Machine. I vaguely remember her. It's not been on the telly in a while. Mimieux was 80 when she died, so she's worth 45 Base Points for @Sweaty Morph, with a Solo Shot bonus taking that to 95.

==================

Second death this week was former Celtic manager Wim Jansen: Wim Jansen: Former Celtic manager dies at 75, announce Feyenoord - BBC Sport

Former Celtic manager Wim Jansen, who won the Scottish title with the club in 1998, has died at the age of 75.

The Dutchman, who had been living with dementia, clinched the league in his only season in charge, stopping Rangers from winning 10 in a row.

Jansen signed club legend Henrik Larsson and also won the League Cup.

He made over 500 appearances for Feyenoord, including the 1970 European Cup final win over Celtic in Milan, and managed the Rotterdam team.

"I've often said that for all of us, we get the privilege of coming through these clubs and I guess our ultimate ambition is to leave some sort of mark or some sort of legacy and he did that in 12 months," said Celtic manager Ange Postecoglou.

"The impact he had in just one year at this football club is fantastic. Similar journey to mine from Japan to here, way back then. He's left an indelible mark."

Twice a losing World Cup finalist in 1974 and 1978, he won four titles with Feyenoord as a player as well as the Uefa Cup in 1974. At the tail end of his career he won another title with Ajax in 1982.

As a manager he won the Dutch Cup twice with Feyenoord.

His old club paid tribute to "a wonderful person and great Feyenoord player".

I think as football fans we all like the idea that a single person can represent us in working for their club. As a player, manager, owner, the idea that there's someone who just knows what to do and will always be able to do it is surely the dream, especially in a time where turnover of players and coaches is massive at every level of the game. Considering how much the history of Celtic is filled with Good Celtic Men, it says a lot that someone who was there for one season has received the memorialising he has. 

On the other hand, what a hit rate. One season, two trophies, one Henrik Larsson signed. Some guy. Jansen died at 75 so he's worth 50 Base Points for @Blootoon87, @Desp and @senorsoupe.

==================

Final death this week was comedian and writer Barry Cryer: Barry Cryer obituary | Barry Cryer | The Guardian

As a writer, comedian, radio quiz panellist, chatshow guest and occasional actor, Barry Cryer, who has died aged 86, was part of the backbone of British television and radio comedy for more than 60 years. He wrote for performers including Morecambe and Wise, the Two Ronnies, Tommy Cooper, Jack Benny, Bob Hope, George Burns, Frankie Howerd, Kenny Everett and Les Dawson, and was a member of the ramshackle but hilarious BBC radio show I’m Sorry I Haven’t a Clue from its inception in 1972.

In the 1960s and 70s comedy writing was, with a few notable exceptions, dominated by men, often working in pairs, and Cryer’s partners included John Junkin, Marty Feldman, Graeme Garden, David Nobbs and Graham Chapman. Lacking a developed attention span (he called his 2009 autobiography Butterfly Brain), he left the basic idea, plot and structure to his partner, then funnied everything up, providing punchlines, gags and retorts. This is known as being a “line man” and Cryer was generally regarded as the best line man in the business.

By all accounts he seems to have been responsible in some way for almost all the biggest names in comedy for decades. My youtube suggestions today gave me an 8 hour compilation of Just a Minute episodes featuring him, so if you're into that, enjoy:

Cryer died at 86, so he's worth 39 Base Points for @Bert Raccoon, @speckled tangerine, @statts1976uk and @ThomCat.

As a result of all of these, the stats look like this:

1. Ned Nederlander 313
2. Arbroathlegend36-0 255
3. Bishop Briggs 199
4. Indale Winton 183
5. Blootoon87 151

6. chomp my root, sparky88, The_Craig 144
9. JustOneCornetto 143
10. Arch Stanton 135
11. cdhafc1874 130

12. gkneil, Savage Henry 104
14. Sweaty Morph 95
15. Desp, senorsoupe 50
17. Bert Raccoon, speckled tangerine, statts1976uk, ThomCat 39
21. Hamish's Passenger, Moomintroll, The DA 31

24. Everyone else 0

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mup1IJllKHs0a47J8G6IXUkvShJrV28Iuc-Kkn7RKuo/edit?usp=sharing

6 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Week 5 update

Three deaths this week. Up first is a slightly old one, the actress Yvette Mimieux: Yvette Mimieux obituary | Film | The Guardian

I've seen The Time Machine. I vaguely remember her. It's not been on the telly in a while. Mimieux was 80 when she died, so she's worth 45 Base Points for @Sweaty Morph, with a Solo Shot bonus taking that to 95.

==================

Second death this week was former Celtic manager Wim Jansen: Wim Jansen: Former Celtic manager dies at 75, announce Feyenoord - BBC Sport

I think as football fans we all like the idea that a single person can represent us in working for their club. As a player, manager, owner, the idea that there's someone who just knows what to do and will always be able to do it is surely the dream, especially in a time where turnover of players and coaches is massive at every level of the game. Considering how much the history of Celtic is filled with Good Celtic Men, it says a lot that someone who was there for one season has received the memorialising he has. 

On the other hand, what a hit rate. One season, two trophies, one Henrik Larsson signed. Some guy. Jansen died at 75 so he's worth 50 Base Points for @Blootoon87, @Desp and @senorsoupe.

==================

Final death this week was comedian and writer Barry Cryer: Barry Cryer obituary | Barry Cryer | The Guardian

By all accounts he seems to have been responsible in some way for almost all the biggest names in comedy for decades. My youtube suggestions today gave me an 8 hour compilation of Just a Minute episodes featuring him, so if you're into that, enjoy:

Cryer died at 86, so he's worth 39 Base Points for @Bert Raccoon, @speckled tangerine, @statts1976uk and @ThomCat.

As a result of all of these, the stats look like this:

1. Ned Nederlander 313
2. Arbroathlegend36-0 255
3. Bishop Briggs 199
4. Indale Winton 183
5. Blootoon87 151

6. chomp my root, sparky88, The_Craig 144
9. JustOneCornetto 143
10. Arch Stanton 135
11. cdhafc1874 130

12. gkneil, Savage Henry 104
14. Sweaty Morph 95
15. Desp, senorsoupe 50
17. Bert Raccoon, speckled tangerine, statts1976uk, ThomCat 39
21. Hamish's Passenger, Moomintroll, The DA 31

24. Everyone else 0

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mup1IJllKHs0a47J8G6IXUkvShJrV28Iuc-Kkn7RKuo/edit?usp=sharing

Barry Cryer was a comedy genius & rightly, gets acclamation for launching,and/or assisting many Comedians careers.

1 hour ago, Oystercatcher said:

Ned should be disqualified for clearly being the grim reaper.

If he is the Grim Reaper then

1) don't eat any of his salmon mousse

2) I have a list of suggestions for his next year's Dead Pool. Nae luck Corden...