The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2022

1 minute ago, TxRover said:

Question, would Aoife Beary have been an acceptable pick under P&B Deadpool Rules? Just wondering if she was enough of a celeb to count, since I’d never heard of her before.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10362593/Irish-student-survived-2015-Berkeley-balcony-collapse-dies-age-27.html

Surely Daily Mail would count as a qualifying obituary? You might have a problem arguing that she isn't famous for being ill though (not allowed) 

13 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Question, would Aoife Beary have been an acceptable pick under P&B Deadpool Rules? Just wondering if she was enough of a celeb to count, since I’d never heard of her before.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10362593/Irish-student-survived-2015-Berkeley-balcony-collapse-dies-age-27.html

I think it's a moot point. She's a non-celebrity whose manner of death is the news story (albeit the story involves an incident from a few years back). There'd be no reason to have picked her in the first place, just as there's no reason to pick a suicide bomber or a school shooting victim before they die in a famous way.

Picking random nobodies, like this woman, in the hopes they die in a way that gets a newsworthy sendoff is going to be a much less viable strategy than picking people who'd be guaranteed a qualifying obituary and just worrying about the dying part.

Unless you know a potential school shooter, I suppose. Hmmm...

Edited by Aim Here

56 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

I spotted that and mentioned him, but put my team in too early to benefit from it. It's a VC solo shot for someone, if a proper obit shows up.

Edit: Found one - https://bbc-edition.com/international/igor-bogdanoff-died-six-days-after-his-twin-brother-grichka/

This isn't a qualifying obituary. Proper sources reported his brother so I'd imagine one will come out soon enough.

32 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Famous for being ill, imo.

Just now, Miguel Sanchez said:

This isn't a qualifying obituary. Proper sources reported his brother so I'd imagine one will come out soon enough.

You're right. I didn't pay that much attention, I just assumed from the 'bbc' in the URL. Certainly he's dead in France, so UK should catch up soon.

1 hour ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Famous for being ill, imo.

That’s kinda what I thought, but I was wondering where the line might fall…thank you.

Just had a look at the spreadsheet, and some notes.
There are 661 unique celebrities picked by 111 contestants, of which 427 were solo shots and 94 duos.
Unsurprisingly Queen Lizzy is both the top pick and the highest riser this year, with 42 picks, up from 10 last year. People are no doubt expecting some sort of new widow bounce.
Ghislaine Maxwell has increased from 10 to a whopping 22 picks, which is a lot for someone neither ill nor old. Pele has risen up the charts too, after appearing notably frail recently. The highest-picked new entry is the politician Frank Field who chose an assisted dying debate to announce that he was hospice-bound (and an entirely unrelated Frank Field made a debut appearance too, for good measure).
On the other side, the consensus seems to be that Toms Parker and Smith are considerably less moribund than they were before; they both had 29 picks last year and dropped 8 and 10 respectively this time around.
I count four theme teams this year.
[mention=63777]get_the_subbies_on[/mention] went with Hollywood actresses again
Miguel has stuck with his batch of writers, with the token 'get me some points THIS year, at least' exception of some ice hockey player with cancer. Writers tend to be a suboptimal choice, because they live forever, as Miguel is no doubt discovering. He should eventually get one of them to score *sometime*.
[mention=24212]expatowner[/mention] has a big smattering of sixties and seventies musicians
[mention=77094]Ray Patterson[/mention] claimed to be going for a theme, but there's no obvious connection there, other than the team being slightly politician-heavy. There are non-theme teams that are more thematic than this, like@dee_62 going a half-and-half music/fitba effort. If I'm not missing something obscure, then boo!
[mention=77689]Curmudgeon[/mention]'s alphabetic list is clearly the best theme of the year. He should get 26 extra bonus points if his picks die in alphabetical order.
[mention=31786]Hamish's_Passenger[/mention] only picked 14 players. 
This year's Great Minds That Think Alike teams are [mention=70409]Indale Winton[/mention] and [mention=54922]Bishop Briggs[/mention] who share 9 picks each between them. Indale Winton has already pulled ahead in the score table, because he made Gary Burgess his captain and Briggsy didn't. Some minds are slightly greater than others, it seems.
And there is no team from 2019's runaway winner [mention=65075]alta-pete[/mention]! After his mid-table 2020 finish, he promised to be up with the big boys at the start of 2021, which netted him nul points. This is clearly a warning of the dangers of hubris. Surely this would have been the year to put in a team and go for some kind of redemption arc.

Can confirm my team is theme related - UK #1 chart hits 1970. The football players were all members of the England World Cup squad. The squad hit the top of the pops with “Back Home” that year.

It’s been the same theme for the last 5 years or so and I’ve only started scoring in 2020 and 2021.
No deaths from any of the musical artists yet, all my points have come from the World Cup squad. (3 in 2020 and 1 last year)

You're right. I didn't pay that much attention, I just assumed from the 'bbc' in the URL. Certainly he's dead in France, so UK should catch up soon.

UK has caught up with a qualifying obit in most online versions of our papers.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/breaking-igor-bodganoff-dead--25844240.amp

My VC checks out 3 days into the year, the only solo shot on my team & 6 days after his twin.

Condolences to their plastic surgeon having lost both of his best customers in one week...and the family obv

Still - points please.

15 hours ago, Ray Patterson said:

I hadn't even looked at the DeathList and somehow managed to pick their Top 3.

I actually thought Gorbachev died 2 years ago so didn't pick him (like vividly remember it being reported on the BBC) - peak Mandela effect in action

You should try getting sent lists by people. "Is she no deid?" multiple times a day.

On 03/01/2022 at 09:36, Arbroathlegend36-0 said:

I noticed 7 picks for chef Tim Bilton. I avoided picking him as seen an article that he had past away a couple of weeks ago. Although I believe this article to be utter nonsense now and he’s still alive. Good luck to the 7 pickers. 

https://usdaynews.com/celebrities/celebrity-death/tim-bilton-death-cause/amp/

I dropped him from initial list due to that article coupled with lack of wiki page for him. 

I do believe he is deid mind you