The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2022

13 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I think Caroline Flack was the last one. There are usually some interesting picks made with the expectations of murder but they don't really pan out.

I upped the points for an Unnatural Causes bonus this year, we'll see if it pans out.

I debated picking a few random Ukrainian sportsmen who have returned to fight on the front line in the hope of unnatural causes and solo shots. Former Arsenal footballer Oleg Luzhnyi and tennis journeyman Sergiy Stakhovsky both made my long lists. 

Ultimately decided taking the sure fire points of MND and stage 4 cancer sufferers was the better way to go. 

44 minutes ago, mozam76 said:

Just had a look through that final spreadsheet - is it normal for none of the hits to have popped their clogs due to unnatural causes? We’ve had Peaches Geldof, Whitney Houston and Philip Seymour Hoffman in years gone by - any more? 

Doesn't seem extraordinary. There was only one unnatural cause in 2019, one in 2020, one in 2021 and now none in 2022.

(Marieve Vervoort, Caroline Flack, Akubaka Shekau if you must know).

I did pick a stick-on unnatural cause + solo shot hit for either 2020 or 2021 - euthanasia campaigner Michael Irwin, who actually went to the newspapers a couple of years back promising that he'd wash down his 90th birthday cake with a glass of Chateau Dignitas, but here he is at the age of 91 going on 92, still living life to the max, signing petitions about assisted suicide and writing letters to the Daily Telegraph. Git.

Just goes to show, you can never believe what you read in the press.

Edited by Aim Here

5 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

Doesn't seem extraordinary. There was only one unnatural cause in 2019, one in 2020, one in 2021 and now none in 2022.

(Marieve Vervoort, Caroline Flack, Akubaka Shekau if you must know).

I did pick a stick-on unnatural cause + solo shot hit for either 2020 or 2021 - euthanasia campaigner Michael Irwin, who actually went to the newspapers a couple of years back promising that he'd wash down his 90th birthday cake with a glass of Chateau Dignitas, but here he is at the age of 91 going on 92, still living life to the max, signing petitions about assisted suicide and writing letters to the Daily Telegraph. Git.

Just goes to show, you can never believe what you read in the press.

I went with Henry Marsh last year for similar reasons, he's another  euthanasia campaigner and had the cancer. Seems backing up his 'dignity in death' chat was just that. To top it all, he seems to have made a full recovery. Bloody tease.

39 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Counting on Britney to be this year's Flack 

I'd quite like Flack to be this year's Flack. Roberta. Unnatural causes unlikely though, unless someone actually does manage to kill her softly with his words

1 minute ago, chomp my root said:

I went with Henry Marsh last year for similar reasons, he's another  euthanasia campaigner and had the cancer. Seems backing up his 'dignity in death' chat was just that. To top it all, he seems to have made a full recovery. Bloody tease.

I picked Kanye West as my unnatural causes wildcard for 2023

1 minute ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I picked Kanye West as my unnatural causes wildcard for 2023

If you can pick the right Russians then you'll be sorted. They're dropping like flies but its whether they'll get a qualifying obit. My missus worked with this lad.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9074747/Russian-scientist-falls-death-window-stabbed-latest-mysterious-death.html

In Embra not Vladivostok unfortunately. 😒 I swerved them as I couldn't decide but if I'd had the stones I'd have gone for Tinkov. 

2 hours ago, JustOneCornetto said:

Thanks for all the kind words. All my effort and searching around the web paid off by picking the right combination of some obscure picks along with a high scoring Captain and special mention to Pele who was hit no. 10 for me which secured the league title right at the death.

Thanks to everyone making it a great competition and once again thanks to @Miguel Sanchez for doing such a splendid job in running the Deadpool.

PS I have no intention of giving up the title easily and have started 2023 with my 1st hit, also my Vice Captain, Frank McGarvey

Congratulations to @JustOneCornetto on a fine campaign and worthy victory. If only Big Doddie had hung on I coulda won.

Thanks to @Miguel Sanchez for all his Admin hard work.

we go again.....Good luck to all

3 hours ago, pub car king said:

Counting on Britney to be this year's Flack 

To be fair, Brittany would be a much better pick for the 2023 Nudepool. Hum, Nudepool, now there’s an idea…too bad the year’s already started…maybe hijack @Miguel Sanchez spreadsheet program and tweak it for that. The only question becomes scoring, like, if we get hooters you get X and so forth…

5 hours ago, chomp my root said:

If you can pick the right Russians then you'll be sorted. They're dropping like flies but its whether they'll get a qualifying obit. My missus worked with this lad.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9074747/Russian-scientist-falls-death-window-stabbed-latest-mysterious-death.html

In Embra not Vladivostok unfortunately. 😒 I swerved them as I couldn't decide but if I'd had the stones I'd have gone for Tinkov. 

I was reading a story yesterday about a Russian who'd gone out a window in India. Earlier this year he'd tweeted his opposition to the war in Ukraine before quickly withdrawing the tweet 

An Indian police spokesman said "he'd been depressed" and pointed to the empty bottle of vodka in his room 

Now call me Columbo but I have my suspicions...

"Just one more thing, Inspector Patel, what is that wad of roubles sticking out of your pocket .."

7 hours ago, mozam76 said:

Just had a look through that final spreadsheet - is it normal for none of the hits to have popped their clogs due to unnatural causes? We’ve had Peaches Geldof, Whitney Houston and Philip Seymour Hoffman in years gone by - any more? 

I don't suppose anyone had the idea that Shinzo Abe would be shot. 

And a lousy shot got Imran Khan in the leg but it seems assassination is difficult these days 

19 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I don't suppose anyone had the idea that Shinzo Abe would be shot. 

And a lousy shot got Imran Khan in the leg but it seems assassination is difficult these days 

That's where the folks with a decent knowledge of the US rap scene can score big. Barely a month goes by without someone getting shot.  All in their 20s too so good base points. 

Edited by PWL