The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2022

Week 37 update

Two deaths this week. Up first (sort of) is the actor Marsha Hunt: Marsha Hunt dead: Actress blacklisted in Hollywood dies aged 104 | Metro News

Marsha Hunt, an actress who was blacklisted in Hollywood during the witchhunts for communists in the mid-20th century, has died at the age of 104.

The star, who appeared in films including Pride and Prejudice, Born to the West, Kid Glove Killer and The Happy Time, died on Wednesday September 7 from natural causes at her home in Sherman Oaks, California.

Her death was confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter by Roger C Memos, the writer and director of the 2015 documentary Marsha Hunt’s Sweet Adversity.

Tributes have been made to the late activist, who campaigned throughout her life to raise awareness of homelessness, world hunger, climate change and was a supporter of same-sex marriage.

In a week of relics from a bygone age, it's sort of surreal to imagine the American attitude to communism in the mid-20th century. Hunt died at 104 so she's worth 21 Base Points for @buddiepaul, @JustOneCornetto and @tamthebam. I have no idea what I'd done to tam's scores on the list but he's fixed now. I'm also glad that Hunt has died, meaning I don't need to ask anyone picking her if they meant the woman who inspired Brown Sugar by the Rolling Stones.

==============

Second death this week is.... anyone? I forget. I'm looking at the list and seeing nothing.

Obituary: Queen Elizabeth II - BBC News

I'm not going to add anything else about her specifically. Since I started running... since I started participating in the Dead Pool there are certain names who've always been there. There are probably names which will always pop up every year, and if I knew how to write a spreadsheet I'd be able to catalogue these things properly. The Queen is one of those names so persistent in the Dead Pool I can't really imagine getting in lists without her on them. Lots of people would have been leaving her on their teams without thinking about it. Now her and her man are dead, some others are going to have to step up.

The Queen, apparently, was famed for being neutral on political subjects. I have tried to adopt something similar on P&B over the past year or so, attributing to myself a no doubt undeserved and unnecessary level of influence on the board. Something to consider with the royal family in mind I suppose - I'm just the same as you, who gives a f**k what I think. 

What I will say, however, is that I'm not surprised or put out by anything that's happened since she died. The media is as ghastly as it ever is (or was ever going to be). Charles was in the job about thirty seconds before showing his level of entitlement. The wailing, shrieking Great British Public are a product of themselves and I can't even mock that sort of behaviour. It's like a collective mental illness is suppressed until it can't be held in any longer, and something happens to bring it up. 

Outside of that, what else did people outraged by the coverage expect? Did you really think the football would be on when the country's greatest symbol of international recognition died? Did you expect her to die and it be forgotten the day after? It's surreal, it's frustrating, it's a stark reminder of inequality in a country that calls itself Great, and it's something unprecedented that was always going to produce this sort of reaction. If nothing else, consider what happened the last time the monarch died. Seventy years ago. You, reading this, do you remember or know what the country was like seventy years ago?

Elizabeth Two died at 96, so she's worth 29 Base Points, 44 points for a Vice-Captain bonus and 58 points for a Captain. Those points are awarded as follows:

Base Points: @Billy Jean King, @Blootoon87, @Bold Rover, @cdhafc1874, @dagane, @Desp, @djchapsticks, @Duszek, @Enigma, @Florentine_Pogen, @Hedgecutter, @HI HAT, @HTG, @Karpaty Lviv, @Les Cabbage, @LoonsYouthTeam, @paulathame, @pawpar, @Scorge, @scottsdad, @sleazy, @The_Craig, @The Master

Vice-Captain: @Amarillo Bairn, @cambozpar, @Mark Connolly, @Melanius Mullarkay, @Moomintroll, @Raidernation

Captain: @Aladdin, @ayrunitedfw, @BillyAnchor, @doulikefish, @ICTJohnboy, @invergowrie arab, @mizfit, @Oystercatcher, @pub car king, @smpar, @Soapy FFC, @The DA, @Willie adie

As a result of that, the standings (hopefully) look like this:

1. Bishop Briggs 691
2. Indale Winton 635
3. chompmyroot 551
4. Ned Nederlander 496
5. JustOneCornetto 452
6. sparky88 445
7. Billy Jean King 411
8. gkneil 382
9. weirdcal 372
10. Arch Stanton 358
11. psv_killie 353
12. Sweaty Morph 342
13. Savage Henry 338
14. Moomintroll 337
15. mathematics, The DA 321
17. peasy23 318
18. The Master 273
19. The_Craig 266
20. scottsdad 262
21. Arbroathlegend36-0 255
22. pub car king 239
23. lichtgilphead 237
24. Arabdownunder 230
25. microdave 228
26. buddiepaul, thistledo 226
28. senorsoupe 219
29. Raidernation 218
30. Desp 217
31. pawpar 216
32. Melanius Mullarkey 207
33. Aim Here 205
34. Florentine_Pogen 202
35. Fuctifano, jimbaxters 196
37. blootoon87 180
38. tamthebam 168
39. thisal 160
40. cdhafc1874 159
41. Mark Connolly 153
42. gingette 150
43. ayrunitedfw 140

44. Lofarl 127
45. HI HAT 122
46. sleazy 121
47. willie adie 115
48. Scorge 114
49. nessies long lost ghost, The Naitch 113
51. Hamish's Passenger, speckled tangerine 112
53. Les Cabbage 111
54. Miguel Sanchez 105

55. Bully Wee Villa 104
56. djchapsticks, Enigma 81
58. cambozpar 74
59. The Hologram 73
60. ThomCat 69
61. paulathame 63
62. D.V.T., Karpaty Lviv, qos_75 59
65. Aladdin, BillyAnchor, doulikefish, ICTJohnboy, invergowrie arab, mizfit, Oystercatcher, smpar, Soapy FFC 58
74. Cardinal Richelieu, get_the_subbies_on, Lex, RossBFaeDundee 52
78. Ray Patterson 47
79. Amarillo Bairn 44
80. Bert Raccoon, statts1976uk 39
82. 10menwent2mow 34
83. Bold Rover, dagane, Duszek, Hedgecutter, HTG, LoonsYouthTeam 29

89. Everyone else 0

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mup1IJllKHs0a47J8G6IXUkvShJrV28Iuc-Kkn7RKuo/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by Miguel Sanchez

2 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Didn't have HerMaj but still in the top 10.

Didn't have HerMaj but still in the top 100, somehow. 

Feel I should get some sort of points for NOT selecting her in my debut season, and those sitting on Queen points alone should feel shame at celebrating low hanging fruit en masse.

Also feel that these thoughts and tactics are part of the reason I'm still on 0 points in September!

2 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Didn't have HerMaj but still in the top 10.

However, little chance on improving on last year's 4th place.

Same... Luckily low pointer. 

34 minutes ago, DG.Roma said:

Feel I should get some sort of points for NOT selecting her in my debut season, and those sitting on Queen points alone should feel shame at celebrating low hanging fruit en masse.

I Totally Agree With You There Yup GIF - I Totally Agree With You There  Agree Yup - Discover & Share GIFs