The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2022

Gorbachev 2 days ago for the 1st points of the season now 3 days later Turnbull keels over, if the rest of the team shows the same willingness to participate, at this rate the Bishop might be getting a serious challenge. Oh and commiserations etc etc etc.

1 minute ago, HI HAT said:

Gorbachev 2 days ago for the 1st points of the season now 3 days later Turnbull keels over, if the rest of the team shows the same willingness to participate, at this rate the Bishop might be getting a serious flogging. Oh and commiserations etc etc etc.

FTFY

10 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Yep, zero is sucking, but my team is heavily biased toward those well above average life expectancy, so time is my friend!

We're into September now and I'm getting a serious dose of the fear about being out for a duck on my first ever go at this. Might need to up the ante here...

Creepshow voodoo doll GIF - Find on GIFER

19 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Former Celtic youth player Jim Beattie passed away today after battling with MND over the last few years. Don't expect many folk to recognise the name, but he was part of the Scotland under 16 squad that were mugged by Saudi Arabia in the under 16 World Cup final at Hampden in 1989.

Most of them have an assortment of elderly, aging diseases. I should have picked some.

Edited by BillyAnchor

Right now, just under 2/3 of the Dead Pool population have managed to get at least one point. Since there's a little bit of moaning and rejoicing at not getting, or getting, clear of 0 points, I just had a quick look at the outstanding picks of the non-scorers to see if there was anything of note among the rosters of the yet-to-score. Maybe there's something about their picks that indicates the issue.

It turns out that non-scorers are disproportionately likely to have marked the cards of Alex Ferguson (80% - 12 out of the 15 people who picked Fergie have yet to score), Joe Biden (7 out of 8, or about 88%), or Willie Nelson (66%, or 6/9). Ordinarily, we'd expect these figures to be hovering around 35%, give or take.

And, as you'd expect, if you're the kind of person who's foolish enough to think that Keith Richards is mortal, you're not too good at judging anyone else's mortality. Not a single one of the 5 people who picked Keef have scored any points this year, so far.

In the other direction, Shannon Doherty, Doddie Weir, Linda Nolan, Frank Field and George Alagiah are among the currently living people who are disproportionately picked *more* by the point-scoring majority. Meanwhile absolutely every single one of the 24 people who picked Rob Burrow (who is still alive enough to publicly rant in the direction of RyanAir) this year has also picked someone else who already died. No other (living) pick comes close to being a bellwether of Dead Pool skill as Burrow; the next contenders are a slew of folks with a mere 7 picks each (Piers Corbyn, Harvey Weinstein, James Whale, Tim Bilton and Joe Exotic).

It seems that picking Rob Burrow is a baseline indicator of competence at this game. Joe Biden, not so much.

Edited by Aim Here

9 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Bill Turnbull won't be getting up for BBC Breakfast (or anything) any more, gone at 66. 

My 3rd hit in the space of 12 days, this must be how Haaland feels. 

Points please!  Another hit for me!

Oh, also RIP, thoughts and prayers etc...

2 hours ago, Aim Here said:

Right now, just under 2/3 of the Dead Pool population have managed to get at least one point. Since there's a little bit of moaning and rejoicing at not getting, or getting, clear of 0 points, I just had a quick look at the outstanding picks of the non-scorers to see if there was anything of note among the rosters of the yet-to-score. Maybe there's something about their picks that indicates the issue.

It turns out that non-scorers are disproportionately likely to have marked the cards of Alex Ferguson (80% - 12 out of the 15 people who picked Fergie have yet to score), Joe Biden (7 out of 8, or about 88%), or Willie Nelson (66%, or 6/9). Ordinarily, we'd expect these figures to be hovering around 35%, give or take.

And, as you'd expect, if you're the kind of person who's foolish enough to think that Keith Richards is mortal, you're not too good at judging anyone else's mortality. Not a single one of the 5 people who picked Keef have scored any points this year, so far.

In the other direction, Shannon Doherty, Doddie Weir, Linda Nolan, Frank Field and George Alagiah are among the currently living people who are disproportionately picked *more* by the point-scoring majority. Meanwhile absolutely every single one of the 24 people who picked Rob Burrow (who is still alive enough to publicly rant in the direction of RyanAir) this year has also picked someone else who already died. No other (living) pick comes close to being a bellwether of Dead Pool skill as Burrow; the next contenders are a slew of folks with a mere 7 picks each (Piers Corbyn, Harvey Weinstein, James Whale, Tim Bilton and Joe Exotic).

It seems that picking Rob Burrow is a baseline indicator of competence at this game. Joe Biden, not so much.

My first year taking part and 9 months in I realise my lack of research is hindering my score 

Still hoping Harry styles takes one for the team and is found in a hotel room suffering the consequences of a danger w**k

26 minutes ago, Oystercatcher said:

Still hoping Harry styles takes one for the team and is found in a hotel room suffering the consequences of a danger w**k

Best game of Cluedo ever.

My feelings about the dead pool is that you want mid-table mediocrity: not too bad so everyone thinks you're shite, but not too well that everyone thinks you should be on some kind of OFTW register....

28 minutes ago, Scorge said:

Best game of Cluedo ever.

My feelings about the dead pool is that you want mid-table mediocrity: not too bad so everyone thinks you're shite, but not too well that everyone thinks you should be on some kind of OFTW register....

Because P&B is such a well balanced and reasoning place..... :unsure:

2 hours ago, Oystercatcher said:

My first year taking part and 9 months in I realise my lack of research is hindering my score 

Research isn’t the answer, a careful reading of the tabloids is far superior.

4 hours ago, Aim Here said:

Since I have Willie AND Keith, I’m probably cursed by the universe.

6 hours ago, ParsJake said:

We're into September now and I'm getting a serious dose of the fear about being out for a duck on my first ever go at this. Might need to up the ante here...

Creepshow voodoo doll GIF - Find on GIFER

Welcome to the hell that is a Deadpool. It’s utterly soul crushing as your careful curated team lives on, and someone who likely picked a few names from a hat cruises to near the front of the pack. Rejoice, we still have several months left, including the most depressing month of all, December!