The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2022

20 minutes ago, Lofarl said:

I refer the honourable members and the cheating dirty conniving dishonourable members of the deadpool to this page in reference to Deborah James.

Or it its not showing right.  Page 59.  Oh f**k it.  To quote Miguel on the page

Since she's been in the news this week and the subject came up in the past few pages, why not. Since I started running this game I've tried to be as fair and transparent as possible. This has proven helpful when I can't count or work spreadsheets and every mistake I make is noticed and pointed out (this is good and you should all do it all the time). I think it's also been a net benefit for myself and everyone who plays, since nobody really takes it seriously enough to get upset and realises that it's all in good fun, and all of the conditions and judgements are reasonable. 

When people submit teams with dead people on them I don't tell them because I find it funny. Unlike famous for being ill or famous for being a relative there's no judgement to make here, they're eligible (alive) or they're not (dead). I've been having a think and I don't think the ill or relative rules have ever come up since I've done the Dead Pool until this year, where someone picked Harvey Price. Since he wasn't a valid pick I told the person who picked him and got a replacement. 

When the Deborah James picks were coming in I had never heard of her, so I looked her up. Podcast host, Sun columnist, author, well, that all checks out. Casting my mind back now I think I might have taken it that she already did some or all of these things before she was diagnosed with cancer, rather than doing all of these things because she had cancer. She's listed as "journalist" on the spreadsheet and this is what both Google and Wikipedia call her, and what I'm pretty sure they called her at the turn of the year.

Thinking aloud, this is probably the sort of case the Terminal rule might be instituted specifically for. Someone who was notable and developed an illness is fine. But then, you can suffer from a condition your whole life and still be famous. Is a Paralympic athlete who was born without legs famous because they're ill? That's probably a bad example because not having legs isn't terminal the way cancer is. What about Marieke Vervoort - Wikipedia from 2019? She suffered from a degenerative muscle condition. If she couldn't go into para-sport nobody would have heard of her, yet there she was. Are there different levels of terminal illness?

I'm not going to take away @Billy Jean King, @Bishop Briggs, @Indale Winton, @mathematics and @Moomintroll's picks because it's not right to do that now (and because Bishop Briggs would shout at me obv), but if it was December right now and people started sending me in teams featuring Deborah James, I don't think I'd accept her. I know we had some discussion on her in the past few pages but I'm open to everyone putting in their thoughts. I think a re-examination of this rule is probably useful for 2023 either way though.

If you can’t be arsed reading all that it essentially boils down to:

they can have the points this year, but not next year.

Just now, mathematics said:

I suppose that’s technically the truth…

Anyway, can we leave the Deborah James issue until after I’ve received my deadly duo points for Frank Williams, please. 

1 hour ago, Aim Here said:

Wow. So it will. I always assumed that midsummer was the halfway point of the year, without ever bothering to calculate it!

I'd like to suggest an alternative midpoint of Saturday. At 1PM.

When there will be 182 days and 12 hours either side of that point.

This is what I'll regard as half time when my team will be getting the hair drier treatment.

10 hours ago, mathematics said:

That’s not what he said.

He said they were allowed to pick her, he made no mention of awarding points if she died.

0 points for those fuckers, an additional 50 points for me for outstanding pedantry. It’s the P&B way

As a fat, bald father of two, who knows very little about youtubers, that video was a bit WTAF.

As a fat, bald, father of two - that video was also terribly moving.

Wish I knew the wee p***k was ill though. 

23 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

His lesser known role. However assuming his best known role, at the Cheyne Stokes he was probably uttering "I want more life fucker".