The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2022

27 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

When does the time limit on this run out? Unless David Attenborough already died alone and unnoticed and we've got to wait for the neighbours to complain about the smell for it to hit the news, I'm guessing his powers have deserted him.

I was thinking about the time limit and would think it's a week or next game he plays whichever is sooner. Wales play Austria tonight so not long to go now, just away to check Pele's instagram 😮

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

Taylor Hawkins died in a hotel in Bogota, Columbia.... 

..I suspect we won't need to call Sherlock Holmes in on this one... 

Reports of a "strange" white powder found in his room. Another crackhead twat who got what he deserved?

He said he wasn’t into drugs or any of the rock n roll lifestyle and that to be a drummer you had to be an athlete which was fairly demonstrable from the way he performed. He could have been lying when he said this of course.

3 hours ago, throbber said:

He said he wasn’t into drugs or any of the rock n roll lifestyle and that to be a drummer you had to be an athlete which was fairly demonstrable from the way he performed. He could have been lying when he said this of course.

Only taken a few hours to debunk this then.

Week 13 update

Nothing this week but I could have sworn someone picked Madeline Albright. Since there's a much more appropriate (and supermik-free) Taylor Hawkins thread elsewhere, let's learn about the first woman to be American Secretary of State: Let’s remember Madeleine Albright for who she really was | Opinions | Al Jazeera

The most prominent memory of Albright that I have in my mind is from an interview she gave to CBS 60 Minutes in 1996.

In that now-iconic interview, veteran journalist Lesley Stahl questioned Albright – then the US ambassador to the United Nations – on the catastrophic effect the rigorous US sanctions imposed after Iraq’s invasion of Kuwait had on the Iraqi population.

“We have heard that half a million [Iraqi] children have died. I mean, that is more children than died in Hiroshima,” asked Stahl, “And, you know, is the price worth it?”

“I think that is a very hard choice,” Albright answered, “but the price, we think, the price is worth it.”

With this response, Albright showed that she sees innocent Iraqi children as nothing more than disposable fodder in a conflict between the US administration and the Iraqi leadership.

She demonstrated, with no room left for any doubt, that she had no humanity – that she cannot and shall never be described as “a force for goodness, grace, and decency”.

I remember sanctions era Iraq very well. It was almost impossible to maintain contact with family members and friends in the country, as telephone services remained very limited. When I visited Iraq, to my shock I saw even the most basic products – like milk – could not be found in local markets. The people were hungry and hopeless.

Also showing up when you google her name is this: An Ode to Madeleine Albright's Best Brooches (townandcountrymag.com)

As the world pays tribute to Madeleine Albright's many accomplishments after her death yesterday at age 84, a part of her legacy is undeniably her sartorial diplomacy. Albright, one of few women in the male-dominated sphere in the world of foreign policy, used jewelry to emphasize her political messages.

It all began in the '90s, after Saddam Hussein's poet-in-residence called her an "unparalleled serpent," she wore a snake pin to a meeting with Iraqi officials. She soon realized she could use her pins to send a message. "I'd always loved costume jewelry," she recalled to InStyle, but it had never occurred to me that a pin could also be used as a diplomatic symbol until that exact moment. So I started shopping for more."

As Albright herself explained: "On good days, when I wanted to project prosperity and happiness, I'd put on suns, ladybugs, flowers, and hot-air balloons that signified high hopes. On bad days, I'd reach for spiders and carnivorous animals. If the progress was slower than I liked during a meeting in the Middle East, I'd wear a snail pin. And when I was dealing with crabby people, I put on a crab. Other ambassadors started to notice, and whenever they asked me what I was up to on any given day, I would tell them, 'Read my pins.'"

In tribute to this formidable woman and her pins, T&C is taking a look back at her best brooch moments. Want to see more? Albright's collection of more than 200 pins is available online.

yass, queen!