The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2022

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

She's Vertue-ally deid.

Beryl Vertue, agent and producer at 90.

Yassssss  !!!!!! My first-ever points on the Dead Pool and if I'm reading the spreadsheet correctly, it's a solo shot.  😃😃😃

https://www.theguardian.com/global/2022/feb/13/beryl-vertue-obituary

Edited by Florentine_Pogen

RIP Doug Baillie.  Journeyman CH for Rangers but well-liked by the Airdrie-supporting side of my family for his time(s) at Broomfield.  Best known as a scribbler for The Sunday Post where 'Doug Bailie Writes...' was a mainstay for decades.

"'In what was a hard fought match the ref booked 2 players, Pat Stanton for throwing the ball away & John Greig for throwing Pat Stanton away" was probably his best line - and a cracker.

RIP.

"The first recorded game of football in Scotland took place in 1314 after the Battle of Bannockburn when two teams of Scots kicked the severed head of an Englishman across the battlefield...

...it was a dull game with both defences on top according to the Sunday Post's Doug Baillie, who was there at the time..."

from the first "Only an Excuse" 

Week 8 update

One death this week, TV producer Beryl Vertue: Beryl Vertue obituary | Television | The Guardian

Beryl Vertue, who has died aged 90, played an important role in the history of British television comedy. She began as an agent for writers such as Spike Milligan and Eric Sykes, as well as the performers Tony Hancock and Frankie Howerd, before pioneering the sale of hit UK TV formats to American television.

When she turned to producing, her first big sitcom success was Men Behaving Badly (1992-98), which ushered in an era of laddish humour. She read the 1989 novel by Simon Nye, who was working as a translator for Credit Suisse, saw its potential and set him off on a TV career. Martin Clunes starred as Gary, sharing a flat with Dermot (Harry Enfield) – replaced by Neil Morrissey as the womanising Tony after the first series – and Caroline Quentin played Gary’s girlfriend, Dorothy, with Leslie Ash as Deborah, Gary’s neighbour, who is attracted to Tony but put off by his immaturity.

Vertue used her persuasive powers with ITV to keep the show going when Enfield left. Then, at the end of the second run, the channel dropped the programme because Thames Television, which commissioned it from Vertue’s independent production company, Hartswood Films, lost its franchise. She simply phoned the BBC, which ran it for a further four series.

I also enjoyed this snippet:

Outside comedy circles, Vertue sealed a deal for Terry Nation that gave him partial copyright on the Daleks when he introduced them in Doctor Who’s second story shortly after the sci-fi series began in 1963.

She also blazed a trail by persuading the BBC to venture into programme-related merchandise, resulting in Daleks memorabilia, a Hancock’s Half Hour board game and Steptoe and Son jigsaws.

Vertue died at 90 so she's worth 35 Base Points, plus a Solo Shot for @Florentine_Pogen for a total of 85 points.

As a result, the standings look like this:

1. Ned Nederlander 313
2. Arbroathlegend36-0 255
3. JustOneCornetto 228
4. Bishop Briggs 199
5. Indale Winton 183
6. Blootoon87 151

7. chomp my root, sparky88, The_Craig 144
10. Arch Stanton 135
11. cdhafc1874 130

12. gkneil, Savage Henry 104
14. pawpar, Sweaty Morph 95
16. Florentine_Pogen 85
17. Desp, senorsoupe 50
19. Bert Raccoon, speckled tangerine, statts1976uk, ThomCat 39
23. Hamish's Passenger, Moomintroll, The DA 31

26. Everyone else 0

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mup1IJllKHs0a47J8G6IXUkvShJrV28Iuc-Kkn7RKuo/edit?usp=sharing

9 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

If Liz is going to die I'd appreciate if she does it this week, Gran Turismo 7 comes out a week on Friday and I'll be fucked if I'm spending the following Sunday doing everyone's scores for her.

Give everybody points. It's what she'd want.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/jan-pieńkowski-obituary/ar-AAU5SKF?li=BBoPRmx&ocid=mailsignout

Children's illustrator Jan Pienkowski. 

He illustrated Meg and Mog and did a few pop up books which were pretty good when ah were a lad. The pop up Karma Sutra was not one of his though.