The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2022

1 hour ago, cdhafc1874 said:
1 hour ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Obviously a shame for her to lose her son but he'd be ineligible for this thread on 2 counts.

Mum on the other hand....... she's been on my long list for a while, what with being a total fruitloop and that.

16 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

Mum on the other hand....... she's been on my long list for a while, what with being a total fruitloop and that.

She suffers from bipolar disorder amongst other mental health issues and also had a pretty horrific childhood.

Care to define 'fruitloop' ?

Week 2 update

Two deaths this week. Up first is former French television man Igor Bogdanoff: Igor Bogdanoff dead: French TV star dies days after twin brother aged 72 | Celebrity News | Showbiz & TV | Express.co.uk

(I'm posting that as the qualifying obituary since it names him in the title rather than both of them)

France's Bogdanoff TV twins die of Covid six days apart - BBC News

Grichka and Igor Bogdanoff became France's most famous twins, hosting a TV science and science-fiction show in the 1980s on a spaceship set.

They died of coronavirus within days of each other in hospital, Grichka on 28 December and his brother on Monday.

Aged 72, the brothers had not been vaccinated against Covid-19.

Their friends said they were convinced their healthy lifestyle would protect them and they were admitted to hospital in mid-December.

Although their families did not specify the cause of their deaths, their lawyer Edouard de Lamaze confirmed they had both contracted the virus.

Family friend Pierre-Jean Chalençon said they had left it too late to seek hospital treatment, deciding it was similar to flu. "People have said they were anti-vaxxers but they absolutely weren't," he told BFMTV. "Several friends told them to get themselves vaccinated but they felt because of their lifestyle and their [lack of] comorbidity, they weren't at risk of Covid."

The Bogdanoff brothers were a pair of eccentrics, descended from Austrian nobility.

Feted for their initial Saturday afternoon TV programme Temps X which ran from 1979, they were synonymous for years with popular science and were part of public life for the rest of their lives.

Their programme on TF1 was for years seen in some ways as highlighting cutting-edge technology, according to Le Monde, which described them as icons from a kitsch period of culture. Temps X showcased other TV shows such as Doctor Who, The Prisoner and Star Trek, with guests including electronic music pioneer Jean-Michel Jarre.

Get vaccinated, I guess. Bogdanoff was 72 when he died so he's worth 53 Base Points for @cdhafc1874 - who also gets a Vice-Captain bonus for 27 and a Solo Shot for 50 and a total of 130 points.

===================

Second death this week was Oscar-winning actor Sidney Poitier: Sidney Poitier, Black acting pioneer, dies aged 94 | Sidney Poitier | The Guardian

Sidney Poitier, whose groundbreaking acting work in the 1950s and 60s paved the way for generations of Black film stars, has died aged 94. His death was announced on Friday by the minister of foreign affairs of the Bahamas, Fred Mitchell.

The Bahamas deputy prime minister, Chester Cooper, said he was “conflicted with great sadness and a sense of celebration when I learned of the passing of Sir Sidney Poitier”.

He added: “Sadness that he would no longer be here to tell him how much he means to us, but celebration that he did so much to show the world that those from the humblest beginnings can change the world and that we gave him his flowers while he was with us.

“We have lost an icon. A hero, a mentor, a fighter, a national treasure.”

Poitier’s family released a statement, saying: “To us Sidney Poitier was not only a brilliant actor, activist, and a man of incredible grace and moral fortitude, he was also a devoted and loving husband, a supportive and adoring father, and a man who always put family first… So many have been touched by our dad’s extraordinary life, his unwavering sense of decency and respect for his fellow man.”

Poitier, who was born in Miami and raised in the Bahamas, was the first Black winner of the best actor Oscar for Lilies of the Field and, along with Harry Belafonte, was a pioneering Black presence in mainstream Hollywood cinema.

I'm not even going to bother going through his filmography - I've not seen anything he was in, but he was in quite a few well-regarded films. He also looked much better in his 80s and 90s than the other guy this week did in his 60s so I suppose he had that going for him.

Poitier died at 94 so he's worth 31 Base Points for @Arch Stanton, @Hamish's Passenger, @Moomintroll and @The DA.

As a result, the standings look like this:

1. Arbroathlegend36-0, Indale Winton, Ned Nederlander 183
4. chomp my root, sparky88, The_Craig 144
7. Arch Stanton 135
8. cdhafc1874 130

9. Bishop Briggs, gkneil, Savage Henry 104
12. Hamish's Passenger, Moomintroll, The DA 31

15. Everyone else 0

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mup1IJllKHs0a47J8G6IXUkvShJrV28Iuc-Kkn7RKuo/edit?usp=sharing