Queens v Ayr

On 15/12/2021 at 13:53, MallanandFlanagan said:
On 15/12/2021 at 13:41, ayrunitedfw said:
I once met a Queens fans who told me that he gets more satisfaction from seeing Ayr United lose than Queens winning. 

Strange ... I like Ayr and the trips up. People have always been very nice.

Yes, I've always found Ayr people very polite and obviously respectful of their betters. 

Oh, and according to Allan Johnston and the Dumfries Courier, its a derby. 

Queen of the South boss wants supporters' backing in derby clash with Ayr United

Queen of the South boss Allan Johnston has urged supporters to back their side in one of the most important derbies in recent years.

He said: “It’s a derby, so you want as many fans as possible to get behind us.

“It’s a derby game and they’re always a bit special. We’re playing against teams around about us the next few weeks.

Meme Reaction GIF

3 hours ago, Homer Thompson said:
7 hours ago, Finlay21 said:
Coincidentally the last  football lockdown came when we were due to play Querns away 

It was. Friday night on the TV too, I believe

And Queens were second bottom with 3 points and no wins from the previous 10 games. This time, they’re vastly improved - second bottom with 5 points and no wins from the previous 9.

2 hours ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Queen of the South boss wants supporters' backing in derby clash with Ayr United

Queen of the South boss Allan Johnston has urged supporters to back their side in one of the most important derbies in recent years.

He said: “It’s a derby, so you want as many fans as possible to get behind us.

“It’s a derby game and they’re always a bit special. We’re playing against teams around about us the next few weeks.

Meme Reaction GIF

What a minter those quotes from Allan Johnston are. Maybe he thinks he's still managing Kilmarnock?

17 hours ago, itzdrk said:

To stay in this league. You and Morton.  

What a sorry trio of clubs.

Do you really think so?  I mean, even although we all slag them off, we all love our own clubs, right?  And we know they're not exactly Galacticos, so we know our place in the scheme of things and we're never "billy big baws" types like some clubs of that ilk .

At the start of the season I reckoned that the three clubs in trouble would be Queens, Morton and Ayr - not out of badness or anything like that.  I just made the call on my guess at who would have the most limited budgets, and surprise, surprise more often than not (with the odd exception like Arbroath) clubs with the poorest budgets have to battle it out at the wrong end of the table.  As they say, it ain't rocket science - its what generally happens in a professional sport.  Arbroath are probably benefiting from being able to attract a player of decent quality who also prefers to supplement his football income with additional employment income - ie their combined income no doubt exceeds the income they could achieve if full time with Queens, Morton or Ayr - hence they can field a squad of slightly better quality for a budget probably fairly similar to us three.  So there is a debate around full vs part time for clubs of a certain size like us who inhabit the transition zone between the two levels of the Scottish professional game.

So I'm not sure I'd label us as "sorry" - we just ain't got the cash to splash of those higher up.  It's a fact of life ........ and no, I haven't had a drink .... yet .... 🙄

1 minute ago, Otis Blue said:

Do you really think so?  I mean, even although we all slag them off, we all love our own clubs, right?  And we know they're not exactly Galacticos, so we know our place in the scheme of things and we're never "billy big baws" types like some clubs of that ilk .

At the start of the season I reckoned that the three clubs in trouble would be Queens, Morton and Ayr - not out of badness or anything like that.  I just made the call on my guess at who would have the most limited budgets, and surprise, surprise more often than not (with the odd exception like Arbroath) clubs with the poorest budgets have to battle it out at the wrong end of the table.  As they say, it ain't rocket science - its what generally happens in a professional sport.  Arbroath are probably benefiting from being able to attract a player of decent quality who also prefers to supplement his football income with additional employment income - ie their combined income no doubt exceeds the income they could achieve if full time with Queens, Morton or Ayr - hence they can field a squad of slightly better quality for a budget probably fairly similar to us three.  So there is a debate around full vs part time for clubs of a certain size like us who inhabit the transition zone between the two levels of the Scottish professional game.

So I'm not sure I'd label us as "sorry" - we just ain't got the cash to splash of those higher up.  It's a fact of life ........ and no, I haven't had a drink .... yet .... 🙄

Our squad is expensively assembled, wages wise at least.  A total failure. 

2 hours ago, Trogdor said:

What a minter those quotes from Allan Johnston are. Maybe he thinks he's still managing Kilmarnock?

Nah, oor AJ kens his stuff, like ..... to quote from his match preview on the club OS ........ "From now until the end of the season, every game is massive ........ so we need to ........ start turning draws into wins so we can keep moving up the table”.

See what I mean - ken's his stuff.  Bet you wish Duffy was so insightful and perceptive!