Partick Thistle vs Raith Rovers- 18/12/2021

A week before Christmas and it's seasons greetings to Raith Rovers.

Hopefully we don't gift wrap the the three points like yesterday.

Great result for the Ravers against Tommy Wright's jobbers so they will be confident of another win.

Where do Thistle go to get back on track? Having Rudden back would be good. 

Missed the away game but Raith seem to have cut out the sloppy goals conceded.

We lost a couple to set pieces to break the shutout streak yesterday.

Hopefully we go on the front foot more. Crested a few chances nearly all were right into Gaston's hands though.

Not sure how this pans out as the Cinch championship is usually unpredictable.

Hoping for a 2-1 home win but a draw would not be surprising.

Edited by jagfox OG

Away day to Glasgow a week before Christmas sounds good to me. Hopefully the weather is ok for it.  Things are still tight in the top 5 so every point is critical in the race for top spot. We’re unbeaten in 15 games now been a bloody long time since we did that. This will be a tough game with Thistle looking to bounce back from there defeat to Arbroath hopefully we can take 3 points back to Fife for a Merry Christmas. We’ll certainly need to score twice as Graham will no doubt get one if he wants.  

what’s the pub recommendations round Maryhill way these days, stadium bar or are the local boozers worth trying preferably not one full of Old Firm types. 

Edited by San Starko Rover

I wouldn't be overly distraught with a draw here, even If it'll likely mean losing ground to Inverness. However, a win and an eight point gap over 5th would be absolutely massive.

Can't remember too many non-descript games against Partick over the years. The game at Kirkcaldy in September was a strange one - very fortunate to go 2-0 up when we did, then looked likely to add to our 3-0 lead, only to be left hanging on at the end.

We've defended superbly in the last three games and will require more of the same to get anything from this.

Stadium bar is open afaik.  Munns round the corner is still popular with away fans but of a bin though. Think it has tv for early kickoff.

star N Garter become quite Celtic minded but just when they are playing at home.

Woody at Queens Cross best in the locality of stadium but pretty busy with home fans.

you are only a short taxi ride/ underground journey from the City centre or Byres Road.

Also few places in Gt Western Road such as Coopers football and food. Annoying a lot of tables are pre booked. (Nothing to stop you booking either).

Wintersgills further up same owner as Woodside Inn. Couple of places across the road from there.

subject to Govt. Advice...

@San Starko Rover

Edited by jagfox OG

Thought a few weeks ago that if we can get out of the Arbroath, Killie and Thistle games unbeaten I’d be happy. 4 points so far, which is decent. A win here would open up a nice little gap, especially if Dunfermline took something off Killie, but I’d take a draw right now. Love a trip to Firhill and a week before Christmas is perfect. 

Edited by roverthemoon

Aside from our unbeaten run, we've taken a point up at Gayfield in the cliched horrendous conditions and won against Killie at home - if we can take either a win or a draw that would be excellent. I'd be surprised if Accies can repeat their win over Caley again, while Arbroath are likely to beat Morton.

You don't go 8 games without conceding a goal if you're not a well organised, cohesive unit. Arbroath are one of the best teams in the league and are exceptionally difficult to handle so it wasn't a surprise that they were the ones to end Thistle's run. As mentioned before, we'll likely need to score two goals as Brian Graham loves a goal against us (in fairness, he's looked the most at home with Thistle than he has with any other team since leaving us). 

Pretty much all our games since October have been tight affairs - either draws or narrow Rovers wins. We seem to have settled on centre half paring and have had three clean sheets on the bounce to put an end to our habit of conceding nervy second half goals. I'd be delighted if we can turn that into four next weekend. 

Will we be in the North end of Jackie Husband stand? I'd hope we bring along a decent support for this one given our form but the Jackie Husband stand should allow for some degree or shithousing between the fans. 

16 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Will we be in the North end of Jackie Husband stand? I'd hope we bring along a decent support for this one given our form but the Jackie Husband stand should allow for some degree or shithousing between the fans. 

All away fans this season at Firhill for Thistle games have been in the Colin Weir (the old Main Stand).

The section previously given to away fans in the JH is being used as a social distancing area this season.

Edited by Nightmare

49 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Aside from our unbeaten run, we've taken a point up at Gayfield in the cliched horrendous conditions and won against Killie at home - if we can take either a win or a draw that would be excellent. I'd be surprised if Accies can repeat their win over Caley again, while Arbroath are likely to beat Morton.

You don't go 8 games without conceding a goal if you're not a well organised, cohesive unit. Arbroath are one of the best teams in the league and are exceptionally difficult to handle so it wasn't a surprise that they were the ones to end Thistle's run. As mentioned before, we'll likely need to score two goals as Brian Graham loves a goal against us (in fairness, he's looked the most at home with Thistle than he has with any other team since leaving us). 

Pretty much all our games since October have been tight affairs - either draws or narrow Rovers wins. We seem to have settled on centre half paring and have had three clean sheets on the bounce to put an end to our habit of conceding nervy second half goals. I'd be delighted if we can turn that into four next weekend. 

Don’t think we’ve conceded more than a goal in a game since the last time we met Partick Thistle at Starks. Hell of an achievement by our back line especially when you consider two of those games we were down to 10 men. 

With the 2 goals yesterday and the 3 in the previous game vs Raith, the last 5 league goals we've conceded have been from 4 set pieces and a penalty, though we could / should have conceded a couple more from open play yesterday.

That aside, it's not the defence that's causing concern. Apart from pumping a dreadful Ayr team, our total league goals in this round of fixtures is 2 from 7 games, so even with the Ayr result it's 6 from 8. Graham is having a replica of last season where he started off on fire then hit a bit of a slump, he came back last season but it doesn't (fingers crossed) look like there'll be a 2 month hiatus this season.

Smith has been very underwhelming considering his track record in this division, and I'd say Turner has other than his set pieces, but he does seem to be the one stuck out of position most often. Hastie has been a dud, the fact we put a left back on at left wing yesterday at 1-0 down ahead of him was surely the final nail.

So we've been reliant on Tiffoney and when he doesn't play well as yesterday you see what happens. 

Edited by Fuctifano

Feeling nervous for this one after our defeat yesterday. Couple that with Raith being on a great run.

That said, I wouldn’t be too surprised  if this ended up being a score draw with both side rueing missed chances. 1-1, Graham and Zanatta.

24 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Smith has been very underwhelming considering his track record in this division, and I'd say Turner has other than his set pieces, but he does seem to be the one stuck out of position most often. Hastie has been a dud, the fact we put a left back on at left wing yesterday at 1-0 down ahead of him was surely the final nail.

He's had a fucking bizarre career. When he was with Airdrie, he looked like an ordinary League 1 winger. He wasn't anything other than mediocre any time we played them. To see him get game time for Motherwell then a move to Rangers was strange. 

3 hours ago, jagfox OG said:

I don't anticipate much silky football being played on the turnip field next week but Arbroath showed it can be done in flashes...

Is a turnip field better or worse than a tattie field when it comes to playing the beautiful game?

I’d like to see us nick a win but I’d settle for a draw. It’s a grass pitch, in Scotland, in Winter, so if sexy football breaks out I’ll be fairly shocked.

Would rather be playing this at Starks Park than Firhill, our pitch badly needs a rest (or just no agreement to ground-share in the first place). We have to bounce back from disappointment vs Arbroath but Raith are on great form so it’ll be a very difficult game. Hopefully Rudden is back.