Week 14

lichtie23

Messing around with the playoff machine after today's results, and I still have the Bills making the playoffs, but Cleveland winning the North, Indi making it in as a Wildcard, and the Ravens and Bengals missing the playoffs altogether :blink:

Washington sneaks in with a losing record for the second year in a row. 

35 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Right, so when the Chargers No.1 CB tries to jump a route and gives up a laugher of a TD in the playoffs, when we lose because an idiot ST'er tries to field an onside kick there's no need to touch, when we lose because the opponents ST totally telegraphs a punt rush and our ST STILL can't fucking pick it up and nearly gets our punter killed, will you still be relaxed then?

It's total fucking basics that there is no excuse for shitting up, even in garbage time in a blowout. That wasn't scrubs screwing up, that was our No.1 CB and the usual ST'ers who have been utterly fucking stinking all season long regardless of the game situation. It needs fixed, not because this is a 'work in progress', it needs fixed because it's the exact same sort of amateurish shit that's been costing us wins for years, and will continue to costs us wins next year, and the year after and until we've wasted Herbert's rookie contract just like they wasted Rivers, Gates, and most of LT's career by appointing deadbeat coaches like Turner and McCoy, the exact type of coach you associate with half-arsedness and sloppy fundamentals.

Davis shouldn't be the no.1 CB though, half our d-line and CBs would at best be back ups on most other teams because like I said the team isn't a finished article. You're not going to be able to fix all that in 1 off-season, if we are still doing the same shite next year or the year after then fine but I'm mostly happy with this season so far, some negatives obviously but I expected that. Unless your expectations were the Super Bowl or an unbeaten season I don't really see any reason to be panicking. I think every fan would have took 9-11 wins and a playoff spot before the season.

31 minutes ago, Super_A said:

Davis shouldn't be the no.1 CB though, half our d-line and CBs would at best be back ups on most other teams because like I said the team isn't a finished article. You're not going to be able to fix all that in 1 off-season, if we are still doing the same shite next year or the year after then fine but I'm mostly happy with this season so far, some negatives obviously but I expected that. Unless your expectations were the Super Bowl or an unbeaten season I don't really see any reason to be panicking. I think every fan would have took 9-11 wins and a playoff spot before the season.

Absolutely, If you go look in the General thread I said the other day that I'd be happy with WC even if it's a one-and-done because the team has far too many holes to be a legit contender right now.

The reason the sort of stuff we saw in the 4th Q incenses me is because it's the hallmark of shitty coaching. Look at all the years in the 2000's the Chargers were constantly talked about as the most complete roster in the NFL etc. The reason we never won anything is because teams like the Pats, despite not having anything over the Chargers in terms of depth of talent, were invariably better coached and didn't make the boneheaded, self-inflicted mistakes the Chargers made. For the past 15 years you could guarantee that if you just sat back, sooner or later the Chargers would trip over their own dicks and hand you the game. To see the same sort of mistakes continuing this season when this is the 4th coaching regime we've had since we last had a fundamentally well coached team is really alarming. 

Our ST's have been rank for years and we're still rock bottom of the NFL in DVOA. ST's is the one place, more than any, where deficient coaching of fundamentals shows itself. ST players have to possess an intrinsic understanding of the nuance of NFL rules, and when you see ST players continually make idiot mistakes, continually missing telegraphed blocks, not aligning properly in protection and coverage, touching the ball when they shouldn't, outrunning kicks, waving off catches that they should be FC'ing, not going near balls they have to field in order to have any chance of the team winning, then all of that is the classic tell-tale sign that you are looking at a poorly coached team.

To be brutally honest, the reason I'm not sold on Staley just yet isn't the fact our ST's still stink, it's because yet again we look like a team that is utterly reliant on superhero performances from our QB to beat anybody. We saw that year after year with Rivers under McCoy and Lynn, and right now unless Herbert throws for 300'ish and 3 or 4 TD's we lose. The fact that our D is totally incapable of holding any opponent below 20 points is not what I expect from a coach that is being hailed as some sort of defensive-minded genius. Yes there are holes on the team, but Gus fucking Bradley totally outperformed this lot last season with much the same outfit, and Gus Bradley is nobody's idea of a defensive mastermind.

What I'd expect of a genuinely good coach is that his team does the fundamentals well, the easy stuff gets done with minimal fuss, they beat the teams they are expected to beat,  put away the total no-hopers with ease, and you don't constantly assist your opponents with your own self-inflicted mistakes. To be fair to Staley there are fewer shitty decisions being made in tight games than either McCoy or Lynn made, but I'm still seeing a lot of the exact same amateurish nonsense on special teams, a struggle to put away poor opponents, an over-reliance on stellar levels of QB play, self-inflicted mistakes costing wins (the Dallas game the most egregious, but granted it has cleaned up a bit since then), and recurring problems that the coaching either seems oblivious to or completely unable to address despite supposedly falling within their area of expertise.

We have a huge problem in that two of our recent 1st round Defensive picks are complete and utter donkeys. We're deficient in the front seven because of it, and while that's not Staley's fault, it's sure as shit Telesco's fault, and I won't hold back from criticising him for it since I never at any point thought either player was worthy of a 1st round pick pre-draft. That's something that he simply can't repeat over the next couple of drafts because we have some glaring talent deficiencies that require addressing. 

Edited by Boo Khaki

Lawrence with another 4 INTS today. Feel sorry for the guy. He's obviously talented, but as well as his own mistakes he's being let down by a shitty supporting cast, a toxic environment, and a HC who has no business being in the NFL. They're going to ruin him.

Starting to  look like a bit of a clunker for GB.