Air-da-ree v Kyoo Pee

2 minutes ago, qpfc said:

Just not good enough in the slightest. The fact we had to play the game with the amount of players out in the first place was a farce but there’s still 11 full time footballers on that pitch that played within themselves and quite frankly never looked like taking anything from the game. 

I really liked the way airdrie played but it’s so annoying to fully know how good they actually are when we had no longridge, Doyle, brown, Murray, ferrie, Muir, Moore, or Smith. Besides that, we were terrible. Mchugh and Longstaff were woeful and unfortunately Connell’s deliveries weren’t his usual standard.

On a positive note, absolutely buzzing to see Jai Quitongo back on the pitch again. He seemed to add a spark in the opening stages of the 2nd half and I’d imagine the more games he gets, he’ll be key towards any potential success come the end of the season. Heraghty was also very assured in goals and he definitely looks like he could forge a career at this level. 

That’s 3 wins from our last 16 and at this point there’s every right to question Laurie Ellis. Arguably the biggest budget in the league and yet we’re so far off any title challenge and going further and further behind Montrose and airdrie by the week. I wouldn’t trust an Ellis run team in the slightest should we make the play offs against any of the above. 

Arguably the biggest budget?😃😃

Haughey is paying 50% of Connell's reported £5k a week wages alone.

QP's wage bill must be similar to Motherwell's or St Mirren's.

Cove will win the league. QP no where near it.

Totally acceptable by QP fans if we had a group of honest lads fighting for it…. but…

Wage budget does not match the pitch value. Players earning as much as their SPL contracts. That is a FACT and not up for debate (don’t question it if you don’t have a clue). 

Struggling to defend this group and Manager. Good luck in 2021. 

I hope they have a burst of quality and unity but it’s so far away. I can’t see it coming. 

Back to the darts…

4 minutes ago, shawfield shed boy said:

Money cant buy happiness indeed

Chortle😂

Don’t get me wrong, I’m still extremely excited about what the future holds for qp and how we can progress. We’re in a very fortunate position financially and for me personally it’s great to see us compete at the top half of league 1 whereas previously it’s always been about survival

The issue comes when you have a rookie manager that isn’t getting anywhere near enough out of a squad that should be more than capable of holding their own with cove throughout a league campaign. There’s very capable teams in this league and we have no right to just be at the top but we’ve been underwhelming to a large degree. The Falkirk game masked the managers deficiencies.

Very much reminds me when Mark Roberts managed to win away at Palmerston in the Scottish cup a few years ago and ultimately it hid his serious limitations as a manager throughout the league season for an extended period 

Disappointing  -  to often we couldn't  either keep the ball or find a team mate.  better second half   -  but poor deliveries from set pieces which has been a recurring issue for the past few games.  Thompson missing for next game  lets hope some of the missing are fit to play 

covid and injuries impacted on the team  but still...

Good to see Jai back certainly offers something different    + young goalie did well.

Certainly room for improvement.

Roll on 2022 

Just now, lavvyheid said:

Disappointing  -  to often we couldn't  either keep the ball or find a team mate.  better second half   -  but poor deliveries from set pieces which has been a recurring issue for the past few games.  Thompson missing for next game  lets hope some of the missing are fit to play 

covid and injuries impacted on the team  but still...

Good to see Jai back certainly offers something different    + young goalie did well.

Certainly room for improvement.

Roll on 2022 

Think that was Thompson’s last game tonight. Loan spell ends January 1st. Wouldn’t be in a rush to extend it anytime soon 

Really pleased for Heraghty, that was a good performance, but great strike by McInroy again.

Not really sure what our plan was in the first half but it looked suicidal. Better in the second half, but we created nothing. 

We are not catching Cove, and although the target will be to make the playoffs, we have no chance of making a dent in that universe. I feel we should be doing better with this group of players. 

Given who was missing for QP I can we'll see why our slightly stronger starting line up , did control most of the game. We also are missing some guys and our bench was lightweight. Apart from one shot McHugh did little to challenge our CBs and did Currie  have any saves? The free flowing stuff came from us and Easton ought to have got ahead in first half. The winning goal was a belter from a very good player who I would love to keep. It's only half way and loads of games to play.

1 hour ago, Charliechurch said:

Arguably the biggest budget?😃😃

Haughey is paying 50% of Connell's reported £5k a week wages alone.

QP's wage bill must be similar to Motherwell's or St Mirren's.

If true, that is absolutely astonishing. All these QP fans will have you believing that this is the start of some enterprising Southside Central community good-doing powerhouse, but instead we're seeing 125k splashed on a single player as they stumble along in *checks notes* fourth place in *checks notes* "cinch League One". Laughable fair all round. 

Thought we probably just about deserved that, we dominated the first half although only created one clear chance which Easton should have scored. QP came back into it at the start of the second half until we scored and then there wasn't much of note after that as the game became scrappy and fizzled out.

Tonight highlighted the 2 issues at the moment. Firstly, our best player is a loanee who is due to go back to his club. If we can't keep him it would be a huge blow. Secondly, it took a great strike from this player to win us a game that we should have been able to win given our dominance for a lot of it. It's been said a lot recently but a real quality striker would make the world of difference to us (although that is true for almost every club). Our results against teams 4th to 10th are the best in the league, it's the games against the top 2 that have cost us and it's that bit of extra quality up front that would make the difference.

Seen QP a few times now and unless they make major changes they'll be nowhere near the title this season. Not judging on tonight which was obviously a weakened side but they just seem to be lacking something that would be needed to win the league - a bit like us really. We had a season a few years back where we drew a huge amount of games and it killed us, that seems to be what's happening to them this season. We have lost 3 more games than them but are 5 points ahead. Draws get you nowhere fast if you're after promotion.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

Great win and great to finally beat another top 4 side. Was deserved based on the first-half alone but going into half-time at 0-0 I thought it had a 1-0 Queen's Park sucker punch written all over it (and in previous seasons that's exactly what would have happened). Scrappy at times but good to be able to dig it out and get it over the line. Superb strike again from McInroy to win it. I pray that he'll be with us until at least the end of the season. Can't overstate how important he is to our team and moments of quality like that will continue to win tight games for us. Gal was unlucky with a couple of crosses in the first-half but he and Smith worked tremendously hard the entire game. Our fitness levels and work-rate again make a difference in these sorts of games. How Easton missed that chance in the first-half I'll never know! Shout out to Matty McDonald who I thought came into the side and did a decent job despite not playing for months. He's raw and he's clearly nowhere near as sophisticated on the ball as the rest of our midfield but he works hard and does what's asked of him. He's barely featured but I think he could be a useful squad player for us. That was one of Scott McGill's better games at left-back albeit he wasn't tested at all defensively and you can see the difference a left-footed player would make there. I hope we can retain him also and we can begin to see the best of him in midfield more often. Hope his knock is okay as we really are beginning to get down to the bare bones again and tonight's bench was lacking in quality and quantity. 

Will be interesting to see what comings and goings are made over the next few days and weeks. A centre-half, left-back and striker are a must. 

9 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Sure I've replied to a similar query before. Just because he has a left foot doesn't mean he'd be decent there. In my opinion he just doesn't have the legs for it. He'd not be able to get up and down the park and also lacks pace. He's playing his best position right now, breaking up play, moving the ball on quickly etc. Wouldn't move him tbh. 

Fair enough. By no means was I suggesting it would work just suggesting it was a possibility. His ability to get up and down the flanks maybe a problem. He’s done well in the role he’s currently in though like you say whoever comes in over the next few weeks I’d like aggy to have some place in the starting 11.

As for tonight’s came I thought it would be another case of ruing the missed opportunities as we could’ve been out of sight at half time but credit to airdrie for soaking it up when we had to and McInroy for providing a touch of class. Was surprised at QP, not sure if it was just an off day for them but they never really laid a glove on us. I understand they had injuries but so do we.

Now to follow it up on Saturday. 

On 28/12/2021 at 09:08, bridgeofweirdo said:

Enjoy the game and try not to celebrate when we win 2-0.

Plot twist:

There was no QP celebration.

Onto the game.

I thought that was a deserved 3 points over the game, both teams fielding weakened sides and both sides HAD to win for any challenge aspirations.  First half I thought we were excellent, everyone looking for the ball in possession and closing down out of possession, it really was nice to watch and listen to players round about the man on the ball directing play and giving constant shouts. Thought Gal was pretty wasteful tonight, I love the guy and cannot question his effort but he forgot his scoring boots last night, could and should have had 1 maybe 2 to his name, also how many times did he try and get by his man and was just shepherded away from the ball with ease, but that's just nitpicking. Agnew's first touch with that left foot is ridiculous, he looked done the first few games he played this season but he's been excellent the past few appearances.

Overall I'm delighted with the 3 points and application of the team last night, makes it a bit more annoying that Clyde game was abandoned since we'll lose the replay in true Airdrie fashion. ♦️♦️

At halftime I was fearing we'd live to rue our inability to convert first half dominance into a lead, but the players suffered when they had to in a much more even second half and showed a pleasingly diligent side to their game to see themselves over the line and secure the clean sheet. 

A truly wonderful goal from Kerr McInroy who has been a hell of a find. Keeping him until the end of the season might be a tall order now, but it would be phenomenal. 

A fantastic three points and a very good performance. Attitude, application and fitness of the squad is bang on. Got to make it 9/9 on Sunday now. 

28 minutes ago, CathcartSkins said:

Calm yersel'.

I don't think you can be too surprised that more and more people are beginning to doubt him. We've won 3 games since August, and have a win percentage of just over 30% in all competitions since he took over.

On top of that he looks more and more dejected in every post game interview (granted the questions are very poor and don't give him the opportunity to explain much). I was encouraged after the Falkirk game, but I think it's fairly evident that the scoreline there had more to do with how terrible they were than anything else. 

What makes you think he's capable of turning this around? I would love to be proven wrong, but I really can't see it unfortunately.

A wonderful result and very pleasing performance overall. Looking forward to getting some additional players in and hopefully a few players out the door for the good of the team in H2 of the season. 

We need to continue this food form but you can see the confidence throughout the team and the positive impact its having. The guys are simply enjoying their football and working hard for each other, which makes for great viewing. 

Laurie Ellis inherited a squad of players pulled together to win the Division Two championship. It seems clear that former manager Ray McKinnon did not think that squad capable of repeating the success in Division One. Ellis has been handicapped by the loss of arguably last season's best two players - Peter Grant and Jai Quitongo. Also absent has been Will Baynham, who offers a real alternative up front. I think it only fair to judge Laurie Ellis when he has had the opportunity to put something more resembling his own team on the park. A mid-table position always seemed to me a likely outcome this season and that may well be where Queen's end up.  

12 hours ago, bridgeofweirdo said:

Kinda expected given the team but thought we could've sneaked a draw and would have apart from a super strike from McInnroy. Good to see Quitongo back .

Clyde game now a '6 pointer' so gotta hope Liam and co. are fit.

^^^^^^^^^^

Running scared of the Bully Wee 😂