Banning smoking forever

ICTChris

I stopped smoking after in 2013 after 35 years, I loved it but was smoking between 40 and 50 a day and knew that it was time give up, Id sometimes light a fag while I was already smoking one, I did live in Tenerife at the time so was able to afford it.

Also old school with playing football, played Saturday and Sunday, serious stuff on a Saturday meant you didn't have a half time fag.

First trip to Tenerife with the football team around 89/90 we all started smoking these. About 50p for 200 and you couldn't speak for 3 days after smoking them 🙂

I'd buy any teenager as many as they wanted.

Ducados.jpg.454b0d3b35e236b9bcb5399159dc9085.jpg

22 minutes ago, eindhovendee said:

I stopped smoking after in 2013 after 35 years, I loved it but was smoking between 40 and 50 a day and knew that it was time give up, Id sometimes light a fag while I was already smoking one, I did live in Tenerife at the time so was able to afford it.

Also old school with playing football, played Saturday and Sunday, serious stuff on a Saturday meant you didn't have a half time fag.

First trip to Tenerife with the football team around 89/90 we all started smoking these. About 50p for 200 and you couldn't speak for 3 days after smoking them 🙂

I'd buy any teenager as many as they wanted.

Ducados.jpg.454b0d3b35e236b9bcb5399159dc9085.jpg

Decent enough and certainly cheap but not in the same league as the doyen of cigarettes - unfiltered Gitanes.  

gitanes.jpg.03b21d169134c8ebf5d8855f1d453860.jpg

7 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

I don't agree with an outright ban here - partly because I enjoy a very occasional tab with a drink, but also because it would be expensive and difficult to enforce. 

That said, it would be hilarious to see the same arseholes who were making up shite about driving to Carlisle to buy cheaper Frosty Jack making up similar stories of daring border crossings to buy 40 Lambert and Butler

Saint Murns central midfield pairing for a spell in the mid-80s.

I can't imagine there'll be much more of a black market, considering of-age smokers will be supplied with legal fags 'til they all die, and the industry will make sure the youngsters get hooked on their cool fluorescent vape fluids that taste like sweeties.

Not quite as bold a move as the headlines would imply; just a shift in product focus.

2 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

I remember buying a packet and opening it at one end and thinking, ah the filters must be on the other end.

Once in a pub in the Bigg Market and watched an old guy light the filter end of his tab. Not a unique occurrence, but most people realise quickly what they've done and stop. Not this old boy, he just sucked heroically until he had fully burnt the filter. I did think I ought to tell him but, instead, watched in stunned fascination and admiration at his commitment. 

42 minutes ago, Thane of Cawdor said:

Once in a pub in the Bigg Market and watched an old guy light the filter end of his tab. Not a unique occurrence, but most people realise quickly what they've done and stop. Not this old boy, he just sucked heroically until he had fully burnt the filter. I did think I ought to tell him but, instead, watched in stunned fascination and admiration at his commitment. 

The Bigg Market will do that to a man.

Yep it’s inevitable. Ban the sale of smoking products to anyone born after 2010. Won’t vanish in our lifetimes but it will be a very niche, disgusting pursuit.

10 hours ago, ICTChris said:

New Zealand has introduced legislation today that aims to outlaw smoking completely in the country.  Under the new laws, anyone aged 14 or under now will never be legally able to buy cigarettes or tobacco products.  This will raise the minimum age to buy tobacco until it is effectively outlawed.

Public health campaigners have welcomed the news, calling it a "game-changer" and world leading proposal.  Others have been more cautious, pointing out that proposals to reduce nicotine in legally available cigarettes could hit poorer people hardest and the danger of black market tobacco proliferating - tobacco smuggling by organised crime has increased in recent years in New Zealand.  There is also a disparity between smoking rates among European New Zealanders and the Maori and Pacific Islander communities, meaning that the latter communities will be hit harder by the measures.

Would P&Bers agree with this approach to tobacco in this country?

Are any P&Bers in New Zealand and worried about their 13 year old never being able to buy loads of ciggies?

Would any P&Bers like to join me in setting up a huge illegal tobacco smuggling operation between here and Dunedin?

The world is just going to be full of decrepit old people being looked after in nursing homes