Banning smoking forever

ICTChris

Smoked for years from my early teens until I was 30., with a few attempt at giving up in between. Been off cigs for 4 years now. A horrible habit I regret taking up. Hate the smell of them. A complete ban is a daft idea though in my opinion. 

NZ, surrounded by sea, is 1200 miles from Oz and 600 miles from Tonga and New Caledonia.

Fag smuggling to NZ must be quite an impressive operation.

I have a theory that if they banned smoking in the Balkans the usually placid Macedonians would turn into Serbs and the Serbs turn into off the scale radges.

I remember really liking the surreal print adverts for fags when I was a kid, which was no doubt the point.

I vaguely remember the TV adverts too; nothing specific, although I bet some searching for old adverts on YouTube would bring the memories flooding back. I do remember a period where pretending to smoke a cigar when something had gone well was popular in the playground, a la the "Happiness is a cigar called Hamlet" commercials. Which, again, was no doubt the point.

The only time I was sent off in my fitba playing days was for smoking during the game. I was playing in goal at one of the doGforsaken holes on the Cumbrian coast. An icy wind was howling off the sea and I wasn't dressed nearly warmly enough. To make things worse, I had nothing to do all game and was close to hypothermic. But, I had my bag with me and in my bag were my smokes so I spent most of the game leaning against the post, puffing away semi-happily.

We'd scored early and nothing of interest happened after that. The action, such as it was, all took place at the other end. Until about 3 minutes to go, when the other team finally launched an attack and to my surprise, made it all the way to my end of the field. I tossed the ciggy into the back of the goal and stiff with cold as I was, flailed helplessly at the ball as it whizzed past me. The referee saw what I'd done and went apoplectic. You could've injured someone what were you think I've never seen anything like it etc. etc. To make things worse, the lad who took over from me let in another goal before the end of the game and a surefire win turned into a loss. 

Why yes, I am a Falkirk fan. Why do you ask?

4 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I’m so old I can remember cigarette advertising on the television and on magazines.

https://csts.ua.edu/silk-cut/

I'm so old I can remember when a pint of McEwen's Export was 23p and a pack of 20 Embassy tipped was 25p.

Thus three pints and a packet of fags with change for £1...

4 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

I'm so old I can remember when a pint of McEwen's Export was 23p and a pack of 20 Embassy tipped was 25p.

A pint of Tartan Special was 2/6d...

Brady’s aka the North Eastern Bar in Dundee was one of the few places still selling these beasts in 1974 as remember stupidly buying a pack on my birthday before going to see the pre-DABS v Bursaspor in the ECWC. Total head spin, the fags not the game.

7E3E8898-D44E-4AD8-9728-4FD01999AEA9.jpeg

4 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

15 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

A pint of Tartan Special was 2/6d...

A yet to turn 16 long haired me started going to pubs where, in some, you could get 10 pints of heavy for a pound.