SC 4th Round: Motherwell Vs Morton...... Again

Phillips455

37 minutes ago, Yorky said:

The main thing of note on the thread is that there are Morton supporters who seem to think a blatant push on a player in the box is not a penalty, very strange, it was as nailed on a pen as you will ever see. But biased and all that.

If a push on a forward in the box is a penalty (which it is), then a pull in the box is a penalty as well. And climbing all over the top of a forward is a penalty too. So we'll be taking at least three penalties for fouls on Ugwu by Motherwell's defenders then.

Unless of course the rules only apply to one team on the pitch, which funnily enough was Nick Walsh's constant interpretation of events today. 

6 minutes ago, virginton said:

If a push on a forward in the box is a penalty (which it is), then a pull in the box is a penalty as well. And climbing all over the top of a forward is a penalty too. So we'll be taking at least three penalties for fouls on Ugwu by Motherwell's defenders then.

Unless of course the rules only apply to one team on the pitch, which funnily enough was Nick Walsh's constant interpretation of events today. 

I thought he got most things right other than being far too lenient with Morton, how they finished with 11 men is beyond me. They were very agricultural.

Edited by Yorky

2 minutes ago, Yorky said:

I thought he got most things right other than being far too lenient with Morton, how they finished with 11 men is beyond me. They were very agricultural.

Which players should have been sent off, and for which offences in the game? 

Well that was a right kick in the stones.

Game plan was obvious but we ended up going to extra time when players were dead on their feet. Motherwell spent the game crossing to the space where (presumably) Watt used to be and we were happy to let them.

Refereeing was brutal. Their No 28 was fouling all over the place yet somehow didn't end up in the book as it seemed that only our players were allowed bookings. 

The "bodies everywhere" celebration of our goal was mental, although I spent much of it trying to get my father back to his feet.

Pleased with the performance, but gutted at chucking away our best chance for a win at that place. Dougie winding up the home fans - what a legend.

17 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

Well that was a right kick in the stones.

Game plan was obvious but we ended up going to extra time when players were dead on their feet. Motherwell spent the game crossing to the space where (presumably) Watt used to be and we were happy to let them.

Refereeing was brutal. Their No 28 was fouling all over the place yet somehow didn't end up in the book as it seemed that only our players were allowed bookings. 

The "bodies everywhere" celebration of our goal was mental, although I spent much of it trying to get my father back to his feet.

Pleased with the performance, but gutted at chucking away our best chance for a win at that place. Dougie winding up the home fans - what a legend.

Sadly again this is the type of comment seen far too often. When a team commits fouls that are bookable offences the referee is not obligated to someone even things out. There were a number of challenges today with players coming in late when the ball had already gone, taking out players that they knew were through, a couple of those were really blatant and not even challenged by the player when the card came out. Those bookable offences were all committed by Morton players. Yes the ref could have caved in as many do and try and even things up but he judged each tackle on its own merits. He did a top job and I commend him for it.

2 minutes ago, Yorky said:

Sadly again this is the type of comment seen far too often. When a team commits fouls that are bookable offences the referee is not obligated to someone even things out. There were a number of challenges today with players coming in late when the ball had already gone, taking out players that they knew were through, a couple of those were really blatant and not even challenged by the player when the card came out. Those bookable offences were all committed by Morton players. Yes the ref could have caved in as many do and try and even things up but he judged each tackle on its own merits. He did a top job and I commend him for it.

That’s plenty, Nick. 

58 minutes ago, virginton said:

F16C03A7-7CF7-4537-9C0C-CCDC46610053.thumb.jpeg.b5cfd70b6f707fe9ea470b063fa72077.jpeg

1 hour ago, Yorky said:

2 hours ago, virginton said:

Which players should have been sent off, and for which offences in the game? 

I see that we're already rowing back from red card to yellow card offences, in this unpromising wagon-circling exercise for a bog-standard, gubbins Scottish referee. 

I'd advise just taking your next round tie against Aberdeen rather than embarrassing yourself any further with this nonsense tbh. 

I left when we were 1-0 down. Not done that often if ever but was so angry at the performance during normal time. 

I think GA got the team selection all wrong. I mean we are all still trying to work out what Nathan McG brings to the team. That said u see Carroll defending and u kind of understand why.,  

Slattery, Tierney and Van Veen should have started.

Hell we ate thru but now we face the Dons whilst every other top flight team play the under 14 girls team.including the old scum. One day they will get a difficult tie before the final. But I will not hold my breath……

Edited by welldaft

26 minutes ago, welldaft said:

I left when we were 1-0 down. Not done that often if ever but was so angry at the performance during normal time. 

I think GA got the team selection all wrong. I mean we are all still trying to work out what Nathan McG brings to the team. That said u see Carroll defending and u kind of understand why.,  

Slattery, Tierney and Van Veen should have started.

Hell we ate thru but now we face the Dons whilst every other top flight team play the under 14 girls team.including the old scum. One day they will get a difficult tie before the final. But I will not hold my breath……

The midfield 3 is just a mistake, I see Alexander is praising Donnelly performance today but in reality other than the goal it was pretty poor. I can understand Tierney coming off the bench but I’m baffled why Slattery is not getting a start given how effective he was before Covid, he did more than the other three had the whole game when he came on. We were just so sluggish for most of the game, dominated possession along with efforts on goal but showed no real urgency. When the above 3 came on we pulled them all over the place and they just ran out of steam. They were well organised but we still made hard work of it given the opposition..

2 hours ago, virginton said:

I see that we're already rowing back from red card to yellow card offences, in this unpromising wagon-circling exercise for a bog-standard, gubbins Scottish referee. 

I'd advise just taking your next round tie against Aberdeen rather than embarrassing yourself any further with this nonsense tbh. 

I’m happy to take your advice on board. Oh wait I’ve just read your first post match comment again and realised you’re an idiot so maybe not. But good luck for the rest of the season.

Edited by Yorky

The midfield 3 is just a mistake, I see Alexander is praising Donnelly performance today but in reality other than the goal it was pretty poor. I can understand Tierney coming off the bench but I’m baffled why Slattery is not getting a start given how effective he was before Covid, he did more than the other three had the whole game when he came on. We were just so sluggish for most of the game, dominated possession along with efforts on goal but showed no real urgency. When the above 3 came on we pulled them all over the place and they just ran out of steam. They were well organised but we still made hard work of it given the opposition..

Heard we were hit by a covid outbreak around the time of the winter break maybe slattery was one of the players effected.

5 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Sitting in the middle of the Cooper, it looked a blatant and stupid shove on Tierney to the point we were all wondering what had possessed the defender. Ball had gone over their heads but he gave a tiny guy a two-handed shove in the back. emoji848.png

Then again.....you view everything via the McSquackle prism.....perchance?

35 minutes ago, scmwell said:

Heard we were hit by a covid outbreak around the time of the winter break maybe slattery was one of the players effected.

AWWWWWWWWW...........wis it?

We never had any of that kinda covid......(cough/sneeze)

38 minutes ago, scmwell said:

The Shaggers are comin' for ye!

No place to hide and no place in a Scottish Cup final.

Honestly Motherwell...I expected more...and got less.

6 hours ago, Yorky said:

........and then again........you're a dick.