Coffee / French press

Ylf

I recently bought a French press and a coffee grinder and it’s honestly the best stuff I’ve bought for years. Buy the beans from braithwaites in Dundee or from supermarkets. Anyone else use a French press or similar? Lots of really nice coffee beans out there. What is your favourite???

Bolivian Organic from the Algerian Coffee Stories in London. Prefer a Bialetti stovetop to French Press, though.

The Algerian coffee shop is amazing

If you ever venture a couple of miles further north check this guy out

https://www.kentishtowner.co.uk/2013/01/30/wednesday-picture-camden-coffee-shop-delancey-street/

7 hours ago, Tony Ferrino said:

Inherited one of those Nespresso/pod things from my dad recently. He loved it, used to have an espresso about 10am, then some milky thing about 2pm. Wasn't really paying attention to how or what he did though. Any tips?

Heat up some milk in a mug in the microwave and fill it up with these..

https://www.nespresso.com/uk/en/order/capsules/original/monsoon-indian-coffee-pods

Edited by welshbairn

7 hours ago, Tony Ferrino said:

Inherited one of those Nespresso/pod things from my dad recently. He loved it, used to have an espresso about 10am, then some milky thing about 2pm. Wasn't really paying attention to how or what he did though. Any tips?

We've got the Nespresso Touch with milk frother and love it.

My only tip is to shop around for your pods online and you'll find significant price differences.

48 minutes ago, Scott Steiner said:

We've got the Nespresso Touch with milk frother and love it.

My only tip is to shop around for your pods online and you'll find significant price differences.

I never liked it and went back to a proper espresso machine 
But my wife could never get the hang of doing the milk with the steam wand instead of the nespresso milk frother

So she bought one of these milk frothers, which is great but somewhat over engineered
https://www.severin.com/en/produkt/en159_coffee_tea/en4_milk_frothers/sm-3587-spuma-700-plus-induction-milk-frother/

• 4 weeks later...

Just got one of these bean to cup machines

Beko 8813513200 Bean to Cup Coffee Machine CEG5301X Stainless Steel Design,  19 Bar Pressure, Includes Easy to use One Touch LCD Control, Pre-Brewing  System & Removable 1.5L Water Tank : Amazon.co.uk: Home

The way I like my coffee is "lungo", like you get in Spain. Instead of an espresso shot topped up with hot water, you continue the pour until a small cup is full - 140ml. It's almost impossible to get at Starbucks or Costa and the closest I got was a Nespresso machine with the quantity set. But this bean to cup machine is excellent. No waste with pods and the quality is superb. There are two settings, basically regular and intense with the intense setting giving a REALLY strong cup. I don't take milk in my coffee and don't need frothers and all that nonsense so this is perfect for me. 

I bought myself an Aeropress a few weeks ago after seeing it recommended on another thread. I haven't had a chance to use it yet though. Maybe on Sunday morning if I need a good coffee after a heavy night on the beer.

I also have a cheap and cheerful Nespresso machine in my home office. I know coffee aficionados think they are only for subhuman scum, but I like it and the pods are pretty cheap if you buy them in bulk from Amazon.

Just got one of these bean to cup machines
81jV6F0WUPL._AC_SS450_.jpg
The way I like my coffee is "lungo", like you get in Spain. Instead of an espresso shot topped up with hot water, you continue the pour until a small cup is full - 140ml. It's almost impossible to get at Starbucks or Costa and the closest I got was a Nespresso machine with the quantity set. But this bean to cup machine is excellent. No waste with pods and the quality is superb. There are two settings, basically regular and intense with the intense setting giving a REALLY strong cup. I don't take milk in my coffee and don't need frothers and all that nonsense so this is perfect for me. 

How much did you pay for it?

Coffee grinder arrived a couple of days ago and I bought a French Press a while ago (not realising you needed to crush the beans to use it!). Mrs picked up a cheap bag of beans to give it a try; Costa of all things (and for me, Costa black coffee is bogging). Gave it a go and it was absolutely outstanding. I don't think I'll drink instant coffee in my house ever again.

I picked up a manual coffee grinder over Christmas. It's taken a bit of trial and error to find the right adjustment for the moka pot but I've finally sussed it. 

The smell of freshly ground coffee beans is a new high PowttJS.png

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

How much did you pay for it?

Coffee grinder arrived a couple of days ago and I bought a French Press a while ago (not realising you needed to crush the beans to use it!). Mrs picked up a cheap bag of beans to give it a try; Costa of all things (and for me, Costa black coffee is bogging). Gave it a go and it was absolutely outstanding. I don't think I'll drink instant coffee in my house ever again.

About £210 I think.