Not wanting to be the prophet of doom or anything but what are the chances of holding on to Omeonga during the transfer window if he puts in a few more performances like yesterday?

EDIT - that being said I'm pretty sure I've posted the same about Pittman about two years plus ago

Edited by Durnford

4 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Serious question, with the composure McMillan showed for his goal, bringing it under control with his thigh, then firing it in, would he be a better option as a striker than Shinnie?

I remember Martindale sticking Odofin up front in a game, wouldn't mind seeing him doing that with McMillan, just to see how he does. Could be the reverse of McPake, being moved to a defender after starting off as a striker. 

Didn’t actually know that about McPake. Explains a lot actually. Same with Halkett of course.

Some take to the change better than others though. Matt Elliot, Dion Dublin, Kevin McKenna, all did not too bad moving between the two positions. 

2 hours ago, East Calder Lion said:

Martindale is in the Edinburgh Evening News claiming the ref apologised to him after the game for not giving Hanlon a straight red.

Says Hibs should have had another penalty though?

Shouldn't have had the first one right enough, so 3 wrong big decisions he fecked up with*, all worked out well in the end though, this time.

*Must've realized he got the first pen award wrong, so didn't give them the 2nd one.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

5 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Serious question, with the composure McMillan showed for his goal, bringing it under control with his thigh, then firing it in, would he be a better option as a striker than Shinnie?

McMillan scored that goal from Shinnie's assist.

30 minutes ago, FreedomFarter said:

McMillan scored that goal from Shinnie's assist.

Yep i know, my prev posts have said Shinnie is a good player, just not a striker or much of a goal scorer.

He was also through on goal and hesitated, then fecked it up, and although Craig Gordon is an excellent keeper, Shinnie should've buried that one on one against Hearts too. If Shinnie is playing in the front 3, i want Anderson as the central player, even Forrest is better, but he didn't score either, has done in prev games though and players get onto his saved shots, Devlin and Anderson scored from getting onto his saved shot.

3 hours ago, East Calder Lion said:

Martindale is in the Edinburgh Evening News claiming the ref apologised to him after the game for not giving Hanlon a straight red.

Says Hibs should have had another penalty though?

No chance he would have apologised had it affected the outcome of the game. Ref got lucky there.

7 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

although Craig Gordon is an excellent keeper, Shinnie should've buried that one on one against Hearts too

It was McMillan who played him in for that opportunity, showing again how well he and Shinnie are combining in the current set up. Also for that chance against Hearts, Shinnie had pulled into a left channel area to get free. An orthodox centre forward likely wouldn't have moved into that area. Shinnie drifts deep or into channels and he passes very well. This can increase scoring opportunities for the wingers and centre mids. I'm guessing this is Martindale's thinking on it.  

19 minutes ago, FreedomFarter said:

It was McMillan who played him in for that opportunity, showing again how well he and Shinnie are combining in the current set up. Also for that chance against Hearts, Shinnie had pulled into a left channel area to get free. An orthodox centre forward likely wouldn't have moved into that area. Shinnie drifts deep or into channels and he passes very well. This can increase scoring opportunities for the wingers and centre mids. I'm guessing this is Martindale's thinking on it.  

So you think Shinnie is a better option up front than Anderson?

My front 3 in that formation would be Forrest-Anderson-Bailey, if Bailey is out injured then either Shinnie or Sibbald making up the 3rd player, but for me we need a striker as the focus of that front 3, and nearest we've got to that in the current set up is Forrest. Again i keep saying it, but Shinnie isn't a striker and wont score many goals, Anderson will (in this sort of set up playing it on the deck in the final 3rd).

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

23 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

So you think Shinnie is a better option up front than Anderson?

I'm more about trying to always understand what Martindale's idea might be rather than giving my own solutions but that's an interesting question. Shinnie has been effective in home but not away matches. I think that's because at home we take the game to the opposition more often. A false 9 is only useful if you can commit midfielders forward for your attacks. The surface at home also benefits Shinnie both because it advantages players with better technique and because it slows things down which is better for possession play. In away matches, Anderson is the better choice for me as he can chase long through passes and harries opposition defences really well. His performance away to St Johnstone in our 3-0 win showed him at his best.

Of course, though, you can't have a home striker and an away striker, so I don't really know what I'd do! Will be interesting to see if Shinnie retains his place this Saturday.

Edited by FreedomFarter

11 minutes ago, FreedomFarter said:

I'm more about trying to always understand what Martindale's idea might be rather than giving my own solutions but that's an interesting question. Shinnie has been effective in home but not away matches. I think that's because at home we take the game to the opposition more often. A false 9 is only useful if you can commit midfielders forward for your attacks. The surface at home also benefits Shinnie both because it advantages players with better technique and because it slows things down which is better for possession play. In away matches, Anderson is the better choice for me as he can chase long through passes and harries opposition defences really well. His performance away to St Johnstone in our 3-0 win showed him at his best.

Of course, though, you can't have a home striker and an away striker, so I don't really know what I'd do! Will be interesting to see if Shinnie retains his place this Saturday.

If Martindale is concerned about fatigue for the Utd game, after playing 2 games this week, you'd think Shinnie would be one to suffer the most with him being about the oldest player in the team, so surely Anderson will start instead of him. In the post match interview he said his game plan was to bring Anderson on, but forced substitutions dictated who was brought on, Obileye for an injured Parkes, Pittman for McMillan who also took a knock, and then Sibbald having to go off and be replaced with Montano.

Any idea what has happened to Bailey, he's not even been in the match day squad these last 2 games, could do with him for the Utd game too, because if Sibbs is still carrying a niggle then we may be not be able to rest Shinnie. Unless we go with Forrest-Anderson-Panayiotou.

1 hour ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Shouldn't have had the first one right enough, so 3 wrong big decisions he fecked up with*, all worked out well in the end though, this time.

*Must've realized he got the first pen award wrong, so didn't give them the 2nd one.

That would have been a horrific way to deal with it though, considering justice was immediately done for the first one when the diving wee clown missed.

2 minutes ago, Vanquinho. said:

That would have been a horrific way to deal with it though, considering justice was immediately done for the first one when the diving wee clown missed.

Aye maybe he thought no point giving them another one when they were so shite taking them?

We were running short of match balls too, that was the 3rd or 4th kicked up on the roof.

Just now, LIVIFOREVER said:

Aye maybe he thought no point giving them another one when they were so shite taking them?

We were running short of match balls too, that was the 3rd or 4th kicked up on the roof.

:lol: Get it up the wee dick tbf, cannae stand that shite.

6 minutes ago, Vanquinho. said:

Eh? So he'd somehow get a second chance at it :D