If Martin Boyle can't be relied on to score our obligatory penalties, we're doomed. I'm hoping for a cup-winning relegation season for the giggles.

In other news, is wee Stephane Omeonga always as good as that for you guys or was he just proving a point tonight? Also kudos for teaching him how to Rugby tackle. Also that unit with the shoulders and the Number 11 on his back who came off the bench and drew the red card out of Paul McGinn seemed a bit handy, at first glance. Again, is he good, or is he more of an Uche Ikpeazu type who doesn't actually do much, but looks great not doing it.

Edited by Aim Here

15 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

I think us taking off Parkes nullified a lot of their changes, they were 100% going to target him second half. Obileye comes on and dominates the long balls, Doidge would've had Parkes rattled

Parkes was carrying a knock. Didn't play as well as I have seen him do previously.

7 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

If Martin Boyle can't be relied on to score our obligatory penalties, we're doomed. I'm hoping for a cup-winning relegation season for the giggles.

In other news, is wee Stephane Omeonga always as good as that for you guys or was he just proving a point tonight? Also kudos for teaching him how to Rugby tackle. Also that unit with the shoulders and the Number 11 on his back who came off the bench and drew the red card out of Paul McGinn seemed a bit handy, at first glance. Again, is he good, or is he more of an Uche Ikpeazu type who doesn't actually do much, but looks great not doing it.

I've liked Omeonga since he signed...very much a "livi type player". Has been getting better the more he plays too but maybe his passing can do with some work. Number 11 is Montano...I've been keen to see more of him but he seems to split the Livi fans. Took him a while to settle into the Scottish game but he's really showing some promising signs now

44 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

I think us taking off Parkes nullified a lot of their changes, they were 100% going to target him second half. Obileye comes on and dominates the long balls, Doidge would've had Parkes rattled

A notable difference in dealing with long balls between Obileye and the Hibs defence.

Every player must have been absolutely knackered last night, because they all busted their nuts for 90 minutes (I also bust a nut after that result). If only we could play like that every week 🙄 a great result but, for me, it just papers over the cracks. Still caressing that panic button!

8 minutes ago, ol1vercloff said:

Every player must have been absolutely knackered last night, because they all busted their nuts for 90 minutes (I also bust a nut after that result). If only we could play like that every week 🙄 a great result but, for me, it just papers over the cracks. Still caressing that panic button!

If we continue with the 4-3-3 and keep up the pressing we did last night we should be fine. If Martindale keeps feeling the need to f**k about with the system then I'll worry, but I'm hoping he's learned and can see how much better we are with that set up.

Interesting difference between last nights game and the Hearts one. Hearts started poorly and were losing all over the field so Neilson made changes to level things up a bit. 

Hibs started reasonably strongly and then got progressively worse. 

Good to see we didnt go for our usual ten minutes snooze at the start of the second half as well.

56 minutes ago, Durnford said:

Interesting difference between last nights game and the Hearts one. Hearts started poorly and were losing all over the field so Neilson made changes to level things up a bit. 

Hibs started reasonably strongly and then got progressively worse. 

Good to see we didnt go for our usual ten minutes snooze at the start of the second half as well.

Didn't take Omeonga off this time either, and replaced McMillan with Pittman, which didn't drop our quality any either.

Still think we need to play Anderson up front, was left to Forrest to take on that role with us playing with no strikers in a front 3 attacking midfield, Shinnie is good as an attacking mid setting up others, absolute pish when it's him finding himself through on goal, must've been a 1 in a 100 shot when he scored against Celtic.

We still give teams the freedom of the wings to do what they want, but Hibs weren't able to exploit that like Hearts did, and nothing got past Omeonga when he was there.

18 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Didn't take Omeonga off this time either, and replaced McMillan with Pittman, which didn't drop our quality any either.

Still think we need to play Anderson up front, was left to Forrest to take on that role with us playing with no strikers in a front 3 attacking midfield, Shinnie is good as an attacking mid setting up others, absolute pish when it's him finding himself through on goal, must've been a 1 in a 100 shot when he scored against Celtic.

We still give teams the freedom of the wings to do what they want, but Hibs weren't able to exploit that like Hearts did, and nothing got past Omeonga when he was there.

I think Anderson up front on his own, pumping balls up to him is pretty pointless.  He must be one of the shortest players in our team.  For me, the ideal scenario would be 2 up front.  Shinnie/Nouble as a target man, bringing the ball down and laying it up for Anderson to slot them away.  Although I thought Shinnie was underwhelming last night.  He needs to shape up or he'll probably find himself released from yet another club.

Just now, ol1vercloff said:

I think Anderson up front on his own, pumping balls up to him is pretty pointless.  He must be one of the shortest players in our team.  For me, the ideal scenario would be 2 up front.  Shinnie/Nouble as a target man, bringing the ball down and laying it up for Anderson to slot them away.  Although I thought Shinnie was underwhelming last night.  He needs to shape up or he'll probably find himself released from yet another club.

We've not been doing that in our last two games though, ironically dropping him when we're playing a system that would suit him best. Shinnie isn't as mobile or having the pace Anderson does, and is hopeless when through on goal, he found himself through inside the box and hesitated not knowing what to do last night, and missed the one on one with Gordon against Hearts.

Yeah BIB would work, or just having Anderson as one of our front 3 in a 4-3-3.

Actually I though Shinnie had a much improved game prepared to the one on Saturday. He seemed to relish being moved more to the left and let others become the centre of attention.

Another interesting point though; based on the performance last night, who do you drop if you wanted to bring Nouble; Pittman and others back onto the starting grid?

13 minutes ago, Durnford said:

Actually I though Shinnie had a much improved game prepared to the one on Saturday. He seemed to relish being moved more to the left and let others become the centre of attention.

Agreed. Won a lot of fouls and was pretty good tracking back later on despite looking knackered.

It seems that Martindale wants a fluid front 3. Provided you keep the ball on the ground as much as possible, it works pretty well. Forrest was threatening on the left and looked even better in the centre when Montano came on and Shinnie shifted to the right. 

Promising signs if we can start to put away our chances.

8 minutes ago, EdinburghLivi said:

Agreed. Won a lot of fouls and was pretty good tracking back later on despite looking knackered.

It seems that Martindale wants a fluid front 3. Provided you keep the ball on the ground as much as possible, it works pretty well. Forrest was threatening on the left and looked even better in the centre when Montano came on and Shinnie shifted to the right. 

Promising signs if we can start to put away our chances.

Best two finishers aren't even playing, Anderson & Bailey, those two with Forrest are our best front 3 players imo. As long as we play the ball on the deck, having McMillan, Holt  & Omeonga in the defensive mids really helped too, breaking up attacks to send the front 3 on their way.

Our lack of pace to counter with Shinnie in there, and not having anyone up on the halfway line defending corners are two of my bugbears with Martindale just now.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

24 minutes ago, Durnford said:

Another interesting point though; based on the performance last night, who do you drop if you wanted to bring Nouble; Pittman and others back onto the starting grid?

Nouble's pretty easy. If he's the first choice striker then he plays up top, or he takes Forrest's role on the left.

I don't think Shinnie plays if everyone is fit tbh. The midfield 3 is out of Holt, Omeonga, Pitts & Sibbald (Maybe McMillan can put himself in there if given time), and the two wide forwards are out of Forrest/Bailey/Nouble (Maybe Montano if he keeps improving)

Serious question, with the composure McMillan showed for his goal, bringing it under control with his thigh, then firing it in, would he be a better option as a striker than Shinnie?

I remember Martindale sticking Odofin up front in a game, wouldn't mind seeing him doing that with McMillan, just to see how he does. Could be the reverse of McPake, being moved to a defender after starting off as a striker. 

18 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Serious question, with the composure McMillan showed for his goal, bringing it under control with his thigh, then firing it in, would he be a better option as a striker than Shinnie?

I remember Martindale sticking Odofin up front in a game, wouldn't mind seeing him doing that with McMillan, just to see how he does. Could be the reverse of McPake, being moved to a defender after starting off as a striker. 

McMillan is good where he is, absolutely no danger we should be trying that.

Odoffin came on at 2-0 up to run about for 10 minutes and hold up the ball after a horrible injury, wish it would stop being pointed to as something more tactical than that.