Relegation doomed 6-fingered sister sh*ggers v Europe bound resurgent mighty Reds

Guest Bob Mahelp

Guest Bob Mahelp
12 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

And there was the match that was abandoned with the Dons winning 3-0 as atrocious conditions triggered a power cut.

3rd of January 1984.

Some day. The game was lucky to go ahead with the amount of snow that was on the ground, and then a blizzard hit during the first half and triggered a city wide power cut.  We ended up in the Broadhill that was serving halves and bottles by candle light, because they had no electricity to work their lager pumps. 

As you said, we were 3-0 up at ht. It was fantastic playing St Johnstone around that time, because we were at the peak of our powers and they were absolutely rank. In that season alone we scored 14 goals (17 if you count the abandoned match) against them without conceding. 

Happy days. All downhill from there though.... 😞 

Just with regards the 0-5 reverse at McDiarmid in September 1990, there was a crowd of 8,711 in the stadium that day, and after a very satisfactory start to the season (including a Bobby Connor double beating Borussia Dortmund in a pre-season friendly!) that horrendous defeat would kick-start a poor spell of league form in October which would eventually cost us the league title on the last day of the season.

Scottish football forgets how close we came to lifting the league title five years after Fergie left and how close we were to becoming the first Scottish club to enter the new Champions League format. Perhaps the fans would have been less forgiving of failure in recent times if the 1991 League title and been the catalyst for another period of sustained success during the 1990s. And it would have perhaps allowed the Fergie-era Dons to slip more easily into our history rather than become the one true stand out period of sustained success.

Even as late as the early-90s, we felt a different club than what we've become. We were a club feared by all domestically and that scoreline, St Johnstone 5-0 Aberdeen was a Scottish wide sensation that nowadays would be less of an impact and shock (as we saw in 2015). Nobody beat Aberdeen 5 nil and certainly not St Johnstone who, as @Bob Mahelp describes, we had dominated on the few occasions we met them during the 1980s.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

Absolutely astounded to come on this thread and see Aberdeen fans talking about the 80s.

Astounded.

Edited by RandomGuy.

16 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Just with regards the 0-5 reverse at McDiarmid in September 1990, there was a crowd of 8,711 in the stadium that day, and after a very satisfactory start to the season (including a Bobby Connor double beating Borussia Dortmund in a pre-season friendly!) that horrendous defeat would kick-start a poor spell of league form in October which would eventually cost us the league title on the last day of the season.

Scottish football forgets how close we came to lifting the league title five years after Fergie left and how close we were to becoming the first Scottish club to enter the new Champions League format. Perhaps the fans would have been less forgiving of failure in recent times if the 1991 League title and been the catalyst for another period of sustained success during the 1990s. And it would have perhaps allowed the Fergie-era Dons to slip more easily into our history rather than become the one true stand out period of sustained success.

Even as late as the early-90s, we felt a different club than what we've become. We were a club feared by all domestically and that scoreline, St Johnstone 5-0 Aberdeen was a Scottish wide sensation that nowadays would be less of an impact and shock (as we saw in 2015). Nobody beat Aberdeen 5 nil and certainly not St Johnstone who, as @Bob Mahelp describes, we had dominated on the few occasions we met them during the 1980s.

My abiding memories of that game include David Robertson getting a straight red after about 30 mins for aiming a kick at , but completely missing , an opponent. Bear in mind that when seeing clips now of games from that era it’s very noticeable that tackles and challenges that are deemed yellow or even red card offences nowadays , often went unpunished back then. It was virtually unheard of for any player to be booked , let alone sent off for the sort of offence that Robertson committed. Proof that back in those days as well , we were still being subjected to different refereeing standards than the rest.

Also , even though we were 3 down at half time , down to 10 men and our makeshift central defensive partnership of McKimmie and Irvine were playing like they’d never been introduced to football , let alone each other.... I was still optimistic of salvaging at least a draw if we got the next goal. Alcohol may have played a part there.

1 hour ago, A96 said:

My abiding memories of that game include David Robertson getting a straight red after about 30 mins for aiming a kick at , but completely missing , an opponent. Bear in mind that when seeing clips now of games from that era it’s very noticeable that tackles and challenges that are deemed yellow or even red card offences nowadays , often went unpunished back then. It was virtually unheard of for any player to be booked , let alone sent off for the sort of offence that Robertson committed. Proof that back in those days as well , we were still being subjected to different refereeing standards than the rest.

Also , even though we were 3 down at half time , down to 10 men and our makeshift central defensive partnership of McKimmie and Irvine were playing like they’d never been introduced to football , let alone each other.... I was still optimistic of salvaging at least a draw if we got the next goal. Alcohol may have played a part there.

I had forgotten Robertson was sent off by the same L.B Thow that refereed 8th October 1988

ceefax-420x372-1.jpg.bb8bb6acb9dc7e83746972d973855d8f.jpg

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

f**k Aberdeen and f**k the 80s, shite club and shite era.

One man's shitey period is another man's halcyonic era.

I remember speaking wistfully to a Dundee fan on a train, as we were both en route to our respective away matches (mine was Celtic 3-0 Aberdeen when Jerel Ifil played) about players such as Peter Mackie, Jim Smith and Vince Mennie as I fondly remembered my Panini sticker albums and scudding them every time we played.

He started getting a bit touchy and thought I was a United supporter. It was then that I realised that not everyone enjoyed the 1980s. Perhaps I would've been the same if the Dons had been managed by Alex Rennie and not Alex Ferguson.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

Guest Bob Mahelp
9 hours ago, betting competition said:

Not that confident after two good wins with just the way St Johnstone plays. The doom and gloom could return from the fans and not create threads on Pie and Bovril till Friday ;)

It's another big game for Glass in quite a few ways. 

A win will start to really get us looking upwards instead of down. We haven't won 3 league games in a row for yunks. It'll really start to look like we're developing the consistency that we desperately need, and most importantly, it'll push The Fermers closer to the bottom of the league. 

I see no downsides in us winning this game. 

Think we'll return to just two in the middle maybe.

Clark

MOH - Rooney - Gordon - McCart - Booth

Bryson - Davidson

Middleton - Kane - E2

I'm not sure we'll play very well with it but at least you know you can trust them all

54 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Think we'll return to just two in the middle maybe.

Clark

MOH - Rooney - Gordon - McCart - Booth

Bryson - Davidson

Middleton - Kane - E2

I'm not sure we'll play very well with it but at least you know you can trust them all

3 at the back is surely asking for trouble if we start with the same XI?

6 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

3 at the back is surely asking for trouble if we start with the same XI?

We've played a back 3/5 in all but 1 of Davidson's games in charge.

It would be an almighty shock if its not in action.