Raith Rovers v Kilmarnock - 11/12/21

Massive game, hopefully we can extend the unbeaten run to 15. This is the sort of game we all look forward to, should be a decent crowd and hopefully a well fought good game of football.

Not going to even try to predict the outcome.

I recall the 92/93 season when the chant was “10 points behind us, you’re only 10 points behind us”. 

We haven’t played a league game against Kilmarnock at Stark’s Park since 1997. That kind of shows where we’ve both been for the last 25 years. Such is life.

Brad Spencer going off injured at Arbroath means we are really struggling for midfielders. I wonder how John McGlynn will sort that out?

Hopefully we can get back to winning ways. 2-1 Rovers.

We rode our luck at times down at their bit and apart from that game I've only seen Killie twice when they were on TV (away to Arbroath and ICT) - both games they looked pretty mediocre. 

Spencer being out, if he is (it sounds like it's looking likely), is a huge blow and there's obviously question marks over Connolly being fit as well. 

Draw I think. 

Well, Connolly was described as his “Achilles killing him” after the Tuesday match, so there is concern, but also hope that rest has aided healing. Spencer’s injury description in the post match Saturday certainly seems to take him out for a few weeks. That means this could be the match where we play the usual suspects in back and try out Frankie at DM, except for the formation issues it brings if Connolly is healthy enough. Connolly was clearly missed Saturday, so if he’s healthy, I’d expect JMcG to prefer the Zanatta/Varian/Connolly/Ross diamond, which would leave us with Tait and Matthews in the middle and no space for Frankie...unless we paired Frankie with either Matthews OR Tait...which defeats the whole DM/Sweeper concept. If Connolly cannot play, we could play Frankie at DM, with Tait and Matthews in front and Ross wide on one side with Zanatta on the other and Varian in the middle in a more pure 4-1-2-3.

With regard to Arnott replacing Spencer, and not BRS, I suspect that was more a function of the small amount of time left versus a demotion of BRS, but I do feel that giving Arnott a shot in the place of BRS next time is worth a shout.

Finally Lang versus Bene...I have to say Lang deserves the starts, though there isn’t a huge amount it it.

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

Well, Connolly was described as his “Achilles killing him” after the Tuesday match, so there is concern, but also hope that rest has aided healing. Spencer’s injury description in the post match Saturday certainly seems to take him out for a few weeks. That means this could be the match where we play the usual suspects in back and try out Frankie at DM, except for the formation issues it brings if Connolly is healthy enough. Connolly was clearly missed Saturday, so if he’s healthy, I’d expect JMcG to prefer the Zanatta/Varian/Connolly/Ross diamond, which would leave us with Tait and Matthews in the middle and no space for Frankie...unless we paired Frankie with either Matthews OR Tait...which defeats the whole DM/Sweeper concept. If Connolly cannot play, we could play Frankie at DM, with Tait and Matthews in front and Ross wide on one side with Zanatta on the other and Varian in the middle in a more pure 4-1-2-3.

With regard to Arnott replacing Spencer, and not BRS, I suspect that was more a function of the small amount of time left versus a demotion of BRS, but I do feel that giving Arnott a shot in the place of BRS next time is worth a shout.

Finally Lang versus Bene...I have to say Lang deserves the starts, though there isn’t a huge amount it it.

BRS was terrible on Tuesday to be honest.  I'd say that's why Arnott got the nod.

1 hour ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Have been offered a ticket to this and quite tempted as it’s a big game and not enamoured with the prospect of a another Dom Thomas-less Pars performance.

We’ve got half season tickets on sale, come and watch a decent team.

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

There was still half an hour to play, and the game was at 0-0. There's no way that decision was made on anything other than who McGlynn thinks was the best available player. BRS has fallen below Arnott in the pecking order, and frankly I'd be surprised if he got it back now. He's had his chances and sadly just hasn't done enough. 

I don't think Spencer's absence necessarily creates a selection conundrum, though. I suspect we'll go back to McGlynn's preferred shape, that he's used in all of our other home games, and he'll use Matthews and Tait at the base of midfield with a three in front of them. Although I suppose that's contingent on having Connolly and Ross available, and would mean Bene dropping back out again. 

I'd certainly have Tumilty back into the starting line up too. If we don't have Ross or Connolly I suppose Musonda goes into the base of midfield and Tait goes into the three, but I've no idea what we do if we don't have either. You probably have to find a way to incorporate Varian and Poplatnik because otherwise we just don't have enough forward thinking players. 

BRS being subbed on then subbed off on Tuesday tells it's own story. Within a minute he'd already nearly tripped over the ball followed by a heavy first touch and his second touch being a foul. You'd have to assume Killie will try and close us down quickly and BRS under pressure is pretty much a recipe for disaster. 

Edited by Raithie

There was still half an hour to play, and the game was at 0-0. There's no way that decision was made on anything other than who McGlynn thinks was the best available player. BRS has fallen below Arnott in the pecking order, and frankly I'd be surprised if he got it back now. He's had his chances and sadly just hasn't done enough. 
I don't think Spencer's absence necessarily creates a selection conundrum, though. I suspect we'll go back to McGlynn's preferred shape, that he's used in all of our other home games, and he'll use Matthews and Tait at the base of midfield with a three in front of them. Although I suppose that's contingent on having Connolly and Ross available, and would mean Bene dropping back out again. 
I'd certainly have Tumilty back into the starting line up too. If we don't have Ross or Connolly I suppose Musonda goes into the base of midfield and Tait goes into the three, but I've no idea what we do if we don't have either. You probably have to find a way to incorporate Varian and Poplatnik because otherwise we just don't have enough forward thinking players. 

Ross seemed absolutely fine when he came on, on Saturday.

That’s not to say he won’t pick up an injury in training this week. But at the minute I’m not worried about him missing out.

Assuming Spencer is out and Connolly is fit, we should go back to a 4-2-3-1 for this with Matthews and Tait as the 2 and the usual front 4 combination. Tumilty in at right back, Dick at left back and Lang and Berra in the middle.

However, we know McGlynn likes to shoehorn his favourite experienced players into the team when possible. I hope I’m wrong but I can’t see him dropping Bene now he’s got him back in the starting line up. I really hope he doesn’t play him at right back again but I wouldn’t be surprised to see a 3-4-3, assuming Spencer is out. I expect something like this:

MacDonald

Tumilty
Lang  
Bene   
Berra 
Dick

Matthews     
Tait

Ross   
Varian     
Zanatta

Edited by R.R.FC

The lack of Kilmarnock fans on this thread should tell you how much we’re looking forward to this. Monday morning and I’ve got a sense of impending doom already. If we lose the first goal, which we will, it’s all over. 2-0 to Kirkcaldy United. 

We are rank rotten, zero fight and a manager with one idea - lump it long. 

Any pub recommendations? Not been through for a boozer since the Scottish Cup game maybe 15 years ago! Only other time i can recall since then was midweek, our minibus broke down and we arrived about 30 mins into the game (and lost)

Used to be a decent fixture in the early/mid 90s.

2 hours ago, R.R.FC said:

Assuming Spencer is out and Connolly is fit, we should go back to a 4-2-3-1 for this with Matthews and Tait as the 2 and the usual front 4 combination. Tumilty in at right back, Dick at left back and Lang and Berra in the middle.

However, we know McGlynn likes to shoehorn his favourite experienced players into the team when possible. I hope I’m wrong but I can’t see him dropping Bene now he’s got him back in the starting line up. I really hope he doesn’t play him at right back again but I wouldn’t be surprised to see a 3-4-3, assuming Spencer is out. I expect something like this:

MacDonald

Tumilty
Lang  
Bene   
Berra 
Dick

Matthews     
Tait

Ross   
Varian     
Zanatta

Watching Bene play right back on Saturday, this though crossed my mind too

We either play three centre halves or one of them sits out.

Squirrelhumper the closest pub to your end of the ground is the Novar Bar it's a Rovers pub but you will be made welcome. They also do bar lunches and have agood selection of drinks. I am not sure if you are thinking about eating that you may have to book in advance. If you go there it's only a 10 minute walk to the North end of the ground and that is where you'll be seated. As well as the Novar there are quite a few pubs on the High Street as well again within easy walking distance to the ground.

6 minutes ago, steakngravy said:

Squirrelhumper the closest pub to your end of the ground is the Novar Bar it's a Rovers pub but you will be made welcome. They also do bar lunches and have agood selection of drinks. I am not sure if you are thinking about eating that you may have to book in advance. If you go there it's only a 10 minute walk to the North end of the ground and that is where you'll be seated. As well as the Novar there are quite a few pubs on the High Street as well again within easy walking distance to the ground.

Cheers mate, do they let kids in?

I think your ok with the Novar but not sure about the High Street best give them a call I think they have a web page that'll give you contact details. There is also parking at the Beveridge Park a 5 minute walk to the pub. I am almost certain the Novar is ok for kids but it does get busy so best to go a wee bit earlier.