Dunfermline vs Queen of the South

I've just looked up the St Mirren stuff.

In the 16/17 winter transfer window they bought in 10 players, 5 on loan and 5 signed on a free.

However, they also punted 10, only one of whom had his contract terminated. Two were sold (Jason Naismith and Kyle McAllister), three were loan players punted back to their parent clubs (Tom Walsh, Ryan Hardie and Lawrence Shankland) and the rest were loaned out.

So it's not really a case of the St Mirren board chucking cash at Ross. Looks like the books were very much balanced, especially with the two fees they got.

I'm certain Hughes will be able to make some signings (you'd imagine, and hope, that part of the annual first the budget is reserved for this window) but I can't see loads of players being paid off and loads bought in. Hopefully a bunch can be loaned out to free up some of the budget and the two loans fired back to their clubs as well, which should give Hughes a decent amount to work with.

I am however a bit concerned about his signing record. Someone posted it when he was appointed and it wasn't great. Hopefully that isn't the case this time.

I'm actually feeling a wee bit upbeat after reading all the negativity from you Pars fans. 

To be fair to Queens, we had an excellent performance against Morton in the Challenge Cup and 2-1 flattered Morton, and another good performance last Saturday against Thistle wher we were perhaps a tad unlucky not to win, having hit the woodwork 3 times.

What happened on Tuesday night to change things I have no idea, but we were as bad then as we were good the previous 2. 

So, as the table says, the 2 worst teams in the league. The game is almost exactly 4 years to the day(9 December), when the score was Pars 2 Queens 5, including a Stephen Dobbie hat trick.

So fingers crossed then that we get a half decent game, and a Queens win(or am I living in cloud cuckoo land?)

3 minutes ago, Another Edin Doonhamer said:

I'm actually feeling a wee bit upbeat after reading all the negativity from you Pars fans. 

To be fair to Queens, we had an excellent performance against Morton in the Challenge Cup and 2-1 flattered Morton, and another good performance last Saturday against Thistle wher we were perhaps a tad unlucky not to win, having hit the woodwork 3 times.

What happened on Tuesday night to change things I have no idea, but we were as bad then as we were good the previous 2. 

So, as the table says, the 2 worst teams in the league. The game is almost exactly 4 years to the day(9 December), when the score was Pars 2 Queens 5, including a Stephen Dobbie hat trick.

So fingers crossed then that we get a half decent game, and a Queens win(or am I living in cloud cuckoo land?)

Sorry to say but you are living in cloud cuckoo land I was at the Cove game it was as bad as it gets it would take a amazing turnround to get anything.

1 hour ago, Greenacres said:

Sorry to say but you are living in cloud cuckoo land I was at the Cove game it was as bad as it gets it would take a amazing turnround to get anything.

Accies lost to Auchinleck Talbot and then deservedly beat us a week later. You might not win but the game should hold no fears for you.

I’m delighted I won’t be going.

2 hours ago, Greenacres said:

I was at the Cove game too and whilst I understand people are disappointed at losing (to a team with a bigger budget than us), most of the wailing describes a game I don't recognise. We lost. We deserved to lose, Cove were better than us. But it was a game utterly ruined by the wind where both teams pretty much dominated the half they had the wind for. Whilst Sol made a couple of great early saves, we largely weathered them into the wind only to be beaten by a bit of a freak strike at the end of the half that dipped massively just before dropping into the net. We then pinned them in with the wind for about half an hour albeit without managing to trouble them much other than a long range Connelly shot and the one where Paton hit bar and post with the same effort. We ran out of steam with effectively 11 fit outfield players and got picked off at the end. The 3rd shouldn't have counted but didn't matter anyway.

It was hugely disappointing in a farce of a game. It wasn't remotely "as bad as it gets". Inverness was worse, Kilmarnock away was worse.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

I think if an opposition manager watches our last couple of matches the deficiencies in our team are glaringly obvious and should be easy enough to exploit.....but I genuinely have no idea what im talking about so maybe not. 

8 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I was at the Cove game too and whilst I understand people are disappointed at losing (to a team with a bigger budget than us), most of the wailing describes a game I don't recognise. We lost. We deserved to lose, Cove were better than us. But it was a game utterly ruined by the wind where both teams pretty much dominated the half they had the wind for. Whilst Sol made a couple of great early saves, we largely weathered them into the wind only to be beaten by a bit of a freak strike at the end of the half that dipped massively just before dropping into the net. We then pinned them in with the wind for about half an hour albeit without managing to trouble them much other than a long range Connelly shot and the one where Paton hit bar and post with the same effort. We ran out of steam with effectively 11 fit outfield players and got picked off at the end. The 3rd shouldn't have counted but didn't matter anyway.

It was hugely disappointing in a farce of a game. It wasn't remotely "as bad as it gets". Inverness was worse, Kilmarnock away was worse.

I was wondering when you'd be along to put the Clubs positive spin on a dreadful performance, and you can't even do it on the relevant match thread. If you honestly think we were the slightest bit unlucky to lose as we did against Cove then I doubt you'll get much support on here. I didn't bother even watching the Kilmarnock game but midweek up at Hamilton was almost as bad as Tuesday nights and we only lost by a single goal then because the Hamilton forwards squandered several golden chances. 

Onto today, the only slight hope  I have of Queens getting anything out of this game is that we very often follow a bad performance with a good one. It doesn't happen all the time but I'm hoping this is one of them.  

56 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I was wondering when you'd be along to put the Clubs positive spin on a dreadful performance, and you can't even do it on the relevant match thread. If you honestly think we were the slightest bit unlucky to lose as we did against Cove then I doubt you'll get much support on here....

I realise that SD’s views on our current predicament are an outlier on the general opinion of most Queens supporters on this forum but I still like to see the posts, if only to get an idea of how a Club ‘insider’ feels about the situation.

I often wonder if SD truly is as positive about the present circumstances or is just putting on a brave face. Some of the comments defending (casting a better light upon) some criticisms I just can’t agree with e.g. if most of us can only guess at boardroom intent/direction/discussions, we can, however, state without fear of contradiction that the stadium and surroundings are looking run down and badly in need of some care and attention. The impression that gives to supporters is one of disregard tending towards neglect. We then extend that perception to how the Club is being run in general and it doesn’t look good from any angle.

I do think that we (QOS) are in a seriously poor situation and that I don’t have much faith in the management team (or a lot of the players) to get us out of it. The Club’s strategy appears to be based on the fact that there are other equally poorly run sides around us this season, and that we draw the lucky survival ticket again.

I started to write more but scrubbed it (more relevant to the club thread), so will leave it saying that I hope that Dunfermline are as poor as their fans suggest, because Queens need all the help we can get. C'mon the Queens!

Prediction for today: we’ll try and play out from the back, one of the centre halves will turn back to the GK, turn back to face the game, turn round again, pass to the GK who will then eventually hoof it, losing possession in the process. Rinse and repeat.

We have absolutely NOTHING in the midfield. No-one can win 2nd balls or be brave enough to challenge when it’s “in the mixer” No quality to drive us up the pitch either. Without Dom we are genuinely fucked as he is our only decent player that can create things.

11 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

How  can possible say Imverness and Kilmarnock was worse they are 2 very good sides Cove were a average part time Div 1 side.

On Tuesday it was the worse performance I have seen from Queens for years it should have cost the manager his job

Prediction for today: we’ll try and play out from the back, one of the centre halves will turn back to the GK, turn back to face the game, turn round again, pass to the GK who will then eventually hoof it, losing possession in the process. Rinse and repeat.

We have absolutely NOTHING in the midfield. No-one can win 2nd balls or be brave enough to challenge when it’s “in the mixer” No quality to drive us up the pitch either.

Credit to DAFC for saving me the time having to type.

24 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

We have absolutely NOTHING in the midfield. No-one can win 2nd balls or be brave enough to challenge when it’s “in the mixer” No quality to drive us up the pitch either. 

Hey you, stop pinching our tactical master plan ..... !

16 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Credit to DAFC for saving me the time having to type.

Not just me who thought it was identical to our own game plan. 

53 minutes ago, pantene proV said:

I remember him putting a positive spin on our pumping of QoS 5-2 last season, so much so that I began to wonder if we actually got the 3 points for it or not.

He tried to put a positive spin on the QoTS voting sevco. 

A bit of positivity about a loss is nothing.