Thistle vs Arbroath - 11th December 2021

Plus IIRC Adam Strachan, Ricky Gillies, and a Spaniard called "Ramon" but not this one. [emoji41]
17719-6364-1.jpg&f=1&nofb=1
Juan Ramon Escalas. Scored something ridiculous like 15 goals in the first 4 months of the season, then got injured warming up at Dingwall and was never the same player again

2 hours ago, jaggyness said:
3 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:
Plus IIRC Adam Strachan, Ricky Gillies, and a Spaniard called "Ramon" but not this one. emoji41.png
17719-6364-1.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Juan Ramon Escalas. Scored something ridiculous like 15 goals in the first 4 months of the season, then got injured warming up at Dingwall and was never the same player again

I was only 11 so might be wrong but was the story not that his mum died or something like that and that’s when his form fell off a cliff. 

On 08/12/2021 at 21:01, jagfox OG said:

I've almost forgotten why I have a deep rooted (footballing) hatred for Dick Campbell. It was bad under him wasn't it? Replaced by Ian McCall or am I getting that wrong?

It was the worst experiences I've ever had at football (just too late for DJ's stint).

Up to Campbell, I used to go to every game home and away, it then got to the stage I'd be halfway up the road to the game, change my mind, and go back to the Woody.

I've never gone to the same amount of games since.

Hes doing well at Arbroath, and fair play to him, but to me he'll always be a c*nt.

10 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I was only 11 so might be wrong but was the story not that his mum died or something like that and that’s when his form fell off a cliff. 

Ramon was one of the best players I had seen for Thistle till his bereavement. I think it might have been his Dad who died, in any case he never recovered (at least not as a Jag).

Incidentally, he was signed by Britton/White

Re Dick Campbell's time I think he's subsequently proved to be the best manager of part-time teams in Scotland. The problem was that he managed Thistle almost as a part-time club. Thistle and Dick Campbell just weren't a good fit. The Club as a whole lacked strong leadership and organisation off the pitch. That didn't help either. 

There was something fundamentally wrong with the squad that Campbell inherited but as Lambie proved when he took temporary charge it was possible to get a tune from it. That squad should never have been relegated. I think we fell into the trap of believing that we were "too good to go down" right up to the minute when we were actually relegated.  

I didn't hate the following season as much as others. I think we lost focus when it became clear that Gretna would walk the league and that we weren't in any great danger of finishing outside the top four although it did get a little too close for comfort at one point. 

There were some great comebacks and an exciting cup run amid all that and, of course, that day at Peterhead. Lucky or not it was still an incredible day and what a journey home.

The next season was a weird one. There were those heavy home defeats in successive home fixtures against St Johnstone and Gretna but a few weeks later we were top of the league with a negative goal difference. 

It really only started to unravel around Christmas and New Year. There was the flu bug when we fielded a team of half dead players at Dens Park and needed our next game postponed. The season never recovered from that and it got increasingly nasty at times especially after Clyde won 4-0 at Firhill. In truth Campbell should have been sacked after that but he was allowed to limp on for a few more weeks when we edged ever closer to relegation. 

Not a popular view, as he blotted his copy book by not playing Kenny Arthur in the final game of the season, but credit is due to Jimmy Bone from steering us away from relegation. He wanted the job full time and it was to his credit that he drafted in Terry Butcher as his assistant when he was probably seen as a more credible candidate for the job. 

Perhaps unfairly, but it was always a bit personal between Dick Campbell and Thistle fans. I know myself and my friends found him to be a dislikeable blowhard. - full of shite like his very first interview when he sneered at the possibility  of relegation under his charge - which of course then happened, and his crap about being “a miner’s son frae Fife” when in real life he was a double glazing salesman. This could  all be tolerated if a team is winning - no wonder Arbroath fans are happy with him - but the knives were out at Firhill as his car-crash of a side made the eyes bleed week in week out.                                                As said before he did sign the.fantastic Mark Roberts, and his teams certainly fought hard and gave us some great moments in a sea of absolute dross . Dick will unfortunately never be liked at Firhill, but I suppose you can say the same thing about The Great Lambie and Falkirk fans!           

The 0-4 Clyde game was the earliest I've ever left a game, 10 minutes before half time when the 4th went in. I did stay when we were 0-3 down vs Gretna and got it back to 3-3 under Campbell but it was so obvious the wheels were off by that Clyde game. 

Edited by Fuctifano

I think we signed Billy Dodds and Jose Quitongo extremely briefly while DC was in charge (Dodds packed it in after a game or two, Quitongo I think managed several appearances), and there was paper talk of us signing an at least 40 year old Richard Gough too unless that was a fever dream.

Vaguely mind guys like Paul Keegan/Will Snowden (Snowdon?) playing for us and them being seaside league level jobbers. Sandy Hodge was brutal.

5 hours ago, John MacLean said:

Not a popular view, as he blotted his copy book by not playing Kenny Arthur in the final game of the season, but credit is due to Jimmy Bone from steering us away from relegation. He wanted the job full time and it was to his credit that he drafted in Terry Butcher as his assistant when he was probably seen as a more credible candidate for the job. 

I find it bizarre that there are Thistle fans who hold this view of Jimmy Bone. 

Player and goalscorer in the single greatest result in our history, versus some dud goalkeeper who got a testimonial and another few years in a coaching role anyway.

55 minutes ago, Hayshead2 said:

Where is the best place to park up and also go for a couple of pre match pints. (Asking for my passengers).

Plenty of parking in the streets near the Woodside Inn. Also a good pub although it’ll be very busy before the game.

4 hours ago, AMMjag said:

I find it bizarre that there are Thistle fans who hold this view of Jimmy Bone. 

Player and goalscorer in the single greatest result in our history, versus some dud goalkeeper who got a testimonial and another few years in a coaching role anyway.

Ah Jimmy Bone a great player for us also in the 70s, he was a handful for defenders.