Thistle vs Arbroath - 11th December 2021

1 hour ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

No, it’s just incredibly obvious that Ian McCall is a decent manager at this level. You continuing to insist otherwise is very strange. 

McCall's is, at best, an average manager at this level. `We should have been nowhere near the relegation zone in March 2020. Our record before the shut-down was dreadful.

Our performances this season suggest that we'll be lucky to get in the play-offs. One win and one draw against the top four this season is nowhere near promotion form.

Dick Campbell has achieved much more at Arbroath on a much lower budget and his team have out-played us twice. The reality is that we are under-achieving under McCall and his management team.

Edited by Bishop Briggs

As garbage as we were today you have to say that Arbroath were excellent. 

IMO and purely on the basis of what I've seen they are the best side in the league. 

There's nothing startling or complicated about what they do. They just do what they do very, very well. Hardworking, physically able to dominate teams and excellent, for and against, at set plays. 

If people think they'll drop away I think there are going to be disappointed. Clearly Nouble going back to Livi is a blow but he isn't their only threat. 

"Part-time and taking the piss", they certainly did today. 

Now off to the Falkirk thread to cheer me up. And then maybe the Morton one. 

Edited by John MacLean

27 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

McCall's is, at best, an average manager at this level. `We should have been nowhere near the relegation zone in March 2020. Our record before the shut-down was dreadful.

Our performances this season suggest that we'll be lucky to get in the play-offs. One win and one draw against the top four this season is nowhere near promotion form.

Dick Campbell has achieved much more at Arbroath on a much lower budget and his team have out-played us twice. The reality is that we are under-achieving under McCall and his management team.

Get Dick Campbell in as manager then.

That worked well last time.

The main positive I can think of is that at least we won’t have to play against Joel Nouble again this season. Absolutely bullied us again today, even some of our more physical players like Holt and Akinola just bounce off him. Unreal level of strength, and it will be interesting to see he how he gets on when he returns to Livi in the new year.

No complaints at all about the result. Arbroath were better in just about every facet of the game today. Ross MacIver really has to score that chance at 1-0, but even if he does and we held on for a point it wouldn’t have been deserved.

We've got a strong starting 11 but a pretty weak squad. Every week it’s just a case of bringing on three League One jobbers and hoping for the best. Some depth in this transfer window an absolute must if we want to have any chance of going up.

We were bullied off the park today and deservedly got nothing from the game.

We created very little, but Maciver had to score that chance he hit the bar with. It would have been undeserved, but we could have nicked something if that had went in. 

Arbroath were just the better team and they definitely should have scored more. We looked like an uninterested outfit at times. 

The pitch is honking right now, the fact it is constantly getting used is severely taking its toll and ruining games as a sceptical.   

Absolutely scudded, by far the most comprehensively we've been outplayed at home this season. We were obviously not great but thought Arbroath were excellent. A team that can beat you with pace, technical ability, desire or strength or any combination thereof. There's no way we're going to win the league so would love to see Arbroath win it. 

First time I've heard "there's only one Dick Campbell" at Firhill too. 

5 hours ago, milhouse said:

Get Dick Campbell in as manager then.

That worked well last time.

I did not propose that but it's 14 years since we sacked Campbell. Are you saying that bringing McCall back has worked well?

When Caldwell was sacked in September 2019, we were 9th. McCall's target was promotion but six months later we were rock bottom.  The controversy over relegation conveniently deflected attention from our abysmal performances under his management

Under Campbell, Arbroath were 5th in March 2020 (and 7th last season) on a much lower playing budget. Today's result again confirmed that McCall and his team will not get us promoted. The fans and Colin Weir's generous legacy deserve better.

Edited by Bishop Briggs

To the 206 Lichties sitting opposite me today - I salute you !!

Sitting with friends in the Jackie Husband today was an absolute joy.  Should have ended up about  1 - 5. Don't want to single out any particular player.  Just an amazing work ethic throughout the team.

Second half, first to every second ball, totally bullied Thistle relentlessly. 

1 hour ago, DUAFC said:

To the 206 Lichties sitting opposite me today - I salute you !!

Sitting with friends in the Jackie Husband today was an absolute joy.  Should have ended up about  1 - 5. Don't want to single out any particular player.  Just an amazing work ethic throughout the team.

Second half, first to every second ball, totally bullied Thistle relentlessly. 

That is 100% spot on. The work ethic of Arbroath was terrific. If it had ended up 4/5 -1 no one could have complained however if McIver had buried that chance at 0-1 things might have been different. Arbroath are easily the best team I have seen  this season!!

Edited by Sting777