Thistle vs Arbroath - 11th December 2021

44 minutes ago, lichtiedaft1993 said:

Making my way down to this on saturday is there any decent parking near by the ground?? Or is it a fair walk from the nearest Parking to the ground.

It’s all on street parking but if you’re there in plenty of time you’ll have no bother at all near enough the stadium.

I believe that Murano street is the usual suggestion on here.

7 hours ago, DUAFC said:

Are you still held to ransom by the local young gangstas ?

"Mind your car mister......"

😀

7 hours ago, DUAFC said:

Naw but my Rottweiler can.

To which the response came - but can your Rottweiler pit oot fires !

6681dbaa331663ba73a7a21d8d602816.gif.1533bc1a770a244a88f943e1b3cbac20.gif

I've almost forgotten why I have a deep rooted (footballing) hatred for Dick Campbell. It was bad under him wasn't it? Replaced by Ian McCall or am I getting that wrong?

Edited by jagfox OG

The Campbell era at PTFC was a wild, wild rollercoaster, I think it's important to start by saying the lows were enough to turn some folk away who have never come back. 

The 3 names in the post above mine plus the likes of Sandy Hodge, Colin Stewart, Dave the Ukranian, no doubt others I've forgotten are all contenders for a worst ever XI, there were back to back 1-5 and 0-6 defeats at home, and the main black mark is getting us relegated in the first place in 04-05 by changing the team around to play his new signings after he'd did well enough keeping the setup Lambie had arrived at in his final 3 game spell as caretaker. 

The Raith away game also pops to mind where Jamie MItchell etc binned the game off as they weren't playing and then claimed they were drinking pints of "coke and red bull" which no-one has ever drank.

Signing George Rowe only for him to retire without playing a game.

Almost getting relegated after being top of the league in mid-November in 06-07 which led to his sacking.

On the other side of the ledger I don't remember a Thistle team who pulled off so many wild / late comebacks... 0-2 and 0-3 to 2-2 and 3-3 vs Gretna, 2-3 down with 5 minutes to go vs Alloa and winning 4-3, scoring in the last minute away to ICT (who were 2 leagues above us at that point) to get a replay in the Scottish Cup then beating them on pens in said replay, and of course the jammiest game in 145 years of PTFC, the away leg of the playoff final vs Peterhead where we should have lost about 6-1 but won 2-1 with a deflected 94th minute free kick to take it to extra time, then won on pens.

His main rabbit out of the hat was signing Mark Roberts which was universally derided at the time but he almost single-handedly took and kept us up. Signing Jukka Santala as a centre half and then sticking him up front as he was an agent of chaos was also good, in the 6-1 win away to Alloa Santala scored goals that defied physics. A young Graham Dorrans when he was still a winger was great for half a season, and Boab McCulloch scoring double figures in free kicks over a couple of seasons is unlikley to be repeated.

It didn't work out and the football was largely terrible but I'll always remember Peterhead (and Stranraer in the semis) away.

10 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

His main rabbit out of the hat was signing Mark Roberts which was universally derided at the time but he almost single-handedly took and kept us up. Signing Jukka Santala as a centre half and then sticking him up front as he was an agent of chaos was also good, in the 6-1 win away to Alloa Santala scored goals that defied physics. A young Graham Dorrans when he was still a winger was great for half a season, and Boab McCulloch scoring double figures in free kicks over a couple of seasons is unlikley to be repeated.

It didn't work out and the football was largely terrible but I'll always remember Peterhead (and Stranraer in the semis) away.

To be fair to DC, I remember when he signed Santala, he said he could play up front, and I do think it was always his plan to play him there. In fact, I think he only played 45 mins at CB before being moved forward at half time on his debut.

DC's legacy is a funny one really. He is remembered for serving up some of the worst football we can recall, but the overall damage to our status wasn't so bad. He got us relegated (for which he wasn't totally to blame as he took over mid-season after Britton/White), but did undo that damage by getting us straight back up (which is not necessarily easy, as Falkirk fans will attest). Of course, many of us around at the time were not fooled as to just how fortunate that promotion was- we were completely outplayed in both legs of the play-off final, as we had been by Peterhead in most (or all?) of the league meetings, with part-time Peterhead deservedly finishing above us in the table. By contrast, we finished that season the lowest ranked full-time team in Scotland-4th place in the third tier. 

I would say that the aforementioned Britton/White were worse and were more culpable in our ending up in the third tier, remembering they took over only 14 games into the previous season, while in the Premier. Collins and then Britton/White were disastrous. DC was poor, but not quite in the same league of infamy, in my opinion.

13 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Signing George Rowe only for him to retire without playing a game.

Was that before he went on to play for Arbroath  ?

I've fond memories of Geoge skippering a decent Lichties team to a fine victory at Firhill. 20+ years ago maybe ?

1 hour ago, DUAFC said:

Was that before he went on to play for Arbroath  ?

I've fond memories of Geoge skippering a decent Lichties team to a fine victory at Firhill. 20+ years ago maybe ?

After he played for Arbroath , would have been either 2005 or 2006, most likely the former. From what I remember Rowe said his body wasn't up to it any more and basically agreed to null and void his contract after about 2 weeks. 

Edited by Fuctifano

8 hours ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

To be fair to DC, I remember when he signed Santala, he said he could play up front, and I do think it was always his plan to play him there. In fact, I think he only played 45 mins at CB before being moved forward at half time on his debut.

DC's legacy is a funny one really. He is remembered for serving up some of the worst football we can recall, but the overall damage to our status wasn't so bad. He got us relegated (for which he wasn't totally to blame as he took over mid-season after Britton/White), but did undo that damage by getting us straight back up (which is not necessarily easy, as Falkirk fans will attest). Of course, many of us around at the time were not fooled as to just how fortunate that promotion was- we were completely outplayed in both legs of the play-off final, as we had been by Peterhead in most (or all?) of the league meetings, with part-time Peterhead deservedly finishing above us in the table. By contrast, we finished that season the lowest ranked full-time team in Scotland-4th place in the third tier. 

I would say that the aforementioned Britton/White were worse and were more culpable in our ending up in the third tier, remembering they took over only 14 games into the previous season, while in the Premier. Collins and then Britton/White were disastrous. DC was poor, but not quite in the same league of infamy, in my opinion.

I agree

Only went to 1 game when Collins was in charge. Didn't help that, in administration, Motherwell got their hands on some of our best players.